Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2014, 03:40 PM   #41
Denver, CO

RV's take more maintenance than a house and car put together.. Mystifying to me that many owners just use them and ignore maintenance, on the roofs, the appliances,the systems etc. 7 years is a long time for an RV with no maintenance. What about the roof and the rest of the systems. WOW. good luck.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:41 PM   #42
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
If this is that big of a deal to remove then it means it's been in there a looooong time.
How was tank ever drained?
I remove my anode rod almost every trip to drain tank.

I'd hate to see what you find if you get it removed.

TURBS
Sabre owners united!
Im with ya B.
Guess oc should pay attention when I talk!

TURBS
Sabre owners united!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:44 PM   #43
B47

Quote:
Im with ya B.

TURBS
Sabre owners united!
Can't wait to see what his reply is - if he replies.

OC is simply a grand example of the old saying - Age gives you license.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:48 PM   #44
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Im with ya B.

TURBS
Sabre owners united!
Would if it was anything but BS & smoke. I said remove the anode first before replacing. He got the anode out didn't he? And just how do you prevent rust when you can't see it? How often have you taken your wh out so you can check it B47 & FT Turbs???
Old 03-24-2014, 03:50 PM   #45
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Would if it was anything but BS & smoke. I said remove the anode first before replacing. He got the anode out didn't he? And just how do you prevent rust when you can't see it? How often have you taken your wh out so you can check it B47 & FT Turbs???
I can see mine from the back side
It looks good!

TURBS
Sabre owners united!
Old 03-24-2014, 03:52 PM   #46
Mod free 5er

Quote:
I can see mine from the back side
It looks good!

TURBS
Sabre owners united!
Mine is completely enclosed in Styrofoam, so I can't see the tank itself.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:53 PM   #47
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Besides that, as stated I remove my anode rod almost every trip so mine should never look like the op's since I always see the condition of the anode rod.

TURBS
Sabre owners united!
Old 03-24-2014, 03:55 PM   #48
B47

Quote:
Never have taken it out. You can take some preventive maintenance steps to prevent rust from forming in the first place,which apparently the previous owner didn't.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:59 PM   #49

Every local place wants ~$550 for the WH. I can get it shipped for under $350. What a scam. As far as the rest of the tt it looks good. Some minor issues, but nothing I can't fix myself. If I had an endless cash flow as it appears some on here do I would have gone new and BIG! But with what my budget allows, my family and I will be having fun and sleeping in the ac while doing it in no time. Thanks for all the help guys and gals.
dthack1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:00 PM   #50
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Besides that, as stated I remove my anode rod almost every trip so mine should never look like the op's since I always see the condition of the anode rod.TURBS
Still doesn't tell you what the outside looks like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Never have taken it out. You can take some preventive maintenance steps to prevent rust from forming in the first place,which apparently the previous owner didn't.
And what preventive measurements can you do to prevent the outside of the tank from rusting if you can't see it with it being totally enclosed?
Old 03-24-2014, 04:03 PM   #51
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Still doesn't tell you what the outside looks like.

And what preventive measurements can you do to prevent the outside of the tank from rusting if you can't see it with it being totally enclosed?
Like arguing with a woman .......
Always right.
Never wrong......

TURBS
Sabre owners united!
Old 03-24-2014, 04:05 PM   #52
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Like arguing with a woman .......
Always right.
Never wrong......

TURBS
Sabre owners united!
My sentiments exactly. Ms. Amy, you have my sympathy.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:27 PM   #53
Denver, CO

OH such harshness among friends, I love it.

OC has a good point, as does Turbs. The 50,000 question is how does the outside of a tank that is 7 years old and in a dry spot inside the camper get so rusted? I guess even a small amount of moisture wicking its way around the styrofoam enclosure must be responsible???

How doth one check for this without unhooking, unscrewing and removing the tank.

Inquiring minds wish to know.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:34 PM   #54
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post

OC has a good point, as does Turbs. The 50,000 question is how does the outside of a tank that is 7 years old and in a dry spot inside the camper get so rusted? I guess even a small amount of moisture wicking its way around the styrofoam enclosure must be responsible???

How doth one check for this without unhooking, unscrewing and removing the tank.

X2! They must have a secret way. How about a pinhole in the tank also?
Old 03-24-2014, 04:34 PM   #55
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post

Good question - I'm thinking the rust might have started from a loose water line (inlet/outlet) connection or faulty weld on the tank behind the insulation.

If correct - I would think that after sometime the insulation would show some dis- coloration or feel damp/wet.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:39 PM   #56

The tank must have started leaking slowly. Once the previous owner noticed it he decided to block it in. But when he blocked it in he left it full of water. The styrofoam that it's encased it was shot. It had held water between the tank and Styrofoam for who knows how long. I think it helped save the floor somewhat. Anyway, there is no way to check the tank with removing the WH. But if you inspect for leaks regularly you shouldn't have to.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:43 PM   #57

[QUOTE If correct - I would think that after sometime the insulation would show some dis- coloration or feel damp/wet./QUOTE]
The insulation looked/felt fine until the tank was removed and the insulation separated top from bottom.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:49 PM   #58
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Good question - I'm thinking the rust might have started from a loose water line (inlet/outlet) connection or faulty weld on the tank behind the insulation.

If correct - I would think that after sometime the insulation would show some dis- coloration or feel damp/wet.
How can you tell? Mine is enclosed under the kitchen cabinet behind a false panel. You can't even point to it without removing everything in the cabinet and removing the factory false panel. My x-ray vision quit several yrs ago.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:56 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthack1881 View Post
Every local place wants ~$550 for the WH. I can get it shipped for under $350. What a scam. As far as the rest of the tt it looks good. Some minor issues, but nothing I can't fix myself. If I had an endless cash flow as it appears some on here do I would have gone new and BIG! But with what my budget allows, my family and I will be having fun and sleeping in the ac while doing it in no time. Thanks for all the help guys and gals.

Have you tried AdventureRV.net? They have them in stock and less than 300.00 shipped.
spierce617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:07 PM   #60

They want $329 and $25.00 to ship. That's about what I just paid elsewhere and it should be here by Friday. Now on to my next post... meet me there. I'll be looking for roof sealing tips. Lol

Tags
anode