Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2019, 01:26 PM   #1

Anyone use a macerator pump at home and discharge into a toilet?

If one needs to empty the holding tanks at home and doesn't have an accessible clean-out the only viable option would seem to be the toilet.

Does anyone use theirs for the final destination from their holding tank contents, using a macerator pump.

In my mind as long as height difference is within pump's capabilities, toilet isn't too far away for size of hose, the only remaining problem would be how to keep the hose from "flopping" out of the toilet as the poo flows.

Obviously having a helper would be the best option but if you don't have one (either because you live alone or can't find a willing volunteer) what other methods work?

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 01:42 PM   #2

I used my wife at the toilet to hold the hose. I have to tell you the smell isn't pleasant at all. We no longer use the toilet to empty the black water tank. I make sure it's emptied before we come home. I don't think you'll have a helper for too long doing the toilet thing. My macerator pump has good pressure when pumping and you'd have to be very careful at the toilet or else the bad stuff will be all over the good stuff.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 01:44 PM   #3

I'm looking at having an access port added to my septic tank.

2014 Grey Wolf 21RR
jd50i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 01:55 PM   #4

We are going to get a macerator pump too. However, we are lucky and have a cleanout right next to the trailer. I wouldn't put it through a toilet myself, especially without a helper. If that hose ever jumps out of the toilet...
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 02:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
We are going to get a macerator pump too. However, we are lucky and have a cleanout right next to the trailer. I wouldn't put it through a toilet myself, especially without a helper. If that hose ever jumps out of the toilet...
Are you saying it might be a real case of the crap hitting the fan?

Old 12-23-2019, 02:20 PM   #6
Always Learning

I've dumped into a port-o-pot. I turned on the pump and raced to the other end to ensure it wasn't going to jump out of the hole. Had to have been hilarious to see. Especially once the retching started from the stench.

Haven't done a home toilet, but given the lack of helper- I would probably put the hose end in and would hold it in place with something heavy on the seat. I'd still worry about shooting it out of the space between the seat and the toilet bowl.

You're a smart guy, I'd bet you could fashion up a remote trigger that's the same length as your hose (if it's wired) or wireless that works from the same distance.
Old 12-23-2019, 02:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I've dumped into a port-o-pot. I turned on the pump and raced to the other end to ensure it wasn't going to jump out of the hole. Had to have been hilarious to see. Especially once the retching started from the stench.

Haven't done a home toilet, but given the lack of helper- I would probably put the hose end in and would hold it in place with something heavy on the seat. I'd still worry about shooting it out of the space between the seat and the toilet bowl.

You're a smart guy, I'd bet you could fashion up a remote trigger that's the same length as your hose (if it's wired) or wireless that works from the same distance.
I'm thinking that just parking my TT close to the sewer manhole in the street is looking pretty good. A garden hose end will just fit into the lift hole.

Old 12-23-2019, 02:38 PM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I'm thinking that just parking my TT close to the sewer manhole in the street is looking pretty good. A garden hose end will just fit into the lift hole.
I'm going to act like I didn't read that!
Old 12-23-2019, 02:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I'm going to act like I didn't read that!
I should be good unless I make a mistake and hit a power or phone vault.

Here they are clearly marked. Maybe they've had mishaps before.

BTW, the one near my house that's looking good is where the lift pumps empty from four houses below me on the hill. Wouldn't even notice what I might put in.

Old 12-23-2019, 02:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd50i View Post
I'm looking at having an access port added to my septic tank.

Do you have a septic system cleanout you can dump into that? Mine is a PVC pipe with removable cap that sticks out of the ground between the house and the septic tank. The pic isn't of mine but looks similar.
Attached Images

TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Ejs4029 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 03:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs4029 View Post
Do you have a septic system cleanout you can dump into that? Mine is a PVC pipe with removable cap that sticks out of the ground between the house and the septic tank. The pic isn't of mine but looks similar.
I do not. What I would like is a pipe like yours but would probably have to drill through the access cover and install the cleanout myself.
That pic was just a quick find and post, I don't want that big of an access in my front yard.

2014 Grey Wolf 21RR
Old 12-23-2019, 06:33 PM   #12

Find the pipe going to septic and install a Y or sanitary tee
loyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 06:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by loyda View Post
Find the pipe going to septic and install a Y or sanitary tee
X2 Much better than messing with any pump. When we built our house 4 years ago I had a "clean out" installed near the driveway in case we ever needed to dump at home. The only time we ever used was when we stayed in our TT in the driveway for two weeks while the house was finished. Remember if you are on a municipal system and someone asks, it is a clean out. Many municipal systems do not allow a RV dump.
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 07:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd50i View Post
I do not. What I would like is a pipe like yours but would probably have to drill through the access cover and install the cleanout myself.
That pic was just a quick find and post, I don't want that big of an access in my front yard.
I am very surprised you don't have that. I have had 2 homes built in the last 35 years that do.

So how do you access your septic tank to get it pumped? You have a lid of some kind? or do you dig down to a concrete lid?
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 07:40 PM   #15

Quote:
I am very surprised you don't have that. I have had 2 homes built in the last 35 years that do.

So how do you access your septic tank to get it pumped? You have a lid of some kind? or do you dig down to a concrete lid?
The last two houses I had before I moved into an area served by sewer had covered tanks. The guy who pumped them out would just probe with a steel rod until he found the tank then poled around withing the area of the tank top until he found the concrete plug. A few shovel fulls of dirt (was only a foot or so below surface (max) and access was gained.

Old 12-24-2019, 07:16 AM   #16

Quote:

Yep, dig it up to access the concrete lid.

2014 Grey Wolf 21RR
Old 12-24-2019, 10:17 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Cousin "EDDIE" maybe!
Old 12-24-2019, 10:33 AM   #18

The sanitary sewer cleanout in the front yard is preferred but not even the city had a record nor could they find mine.

No way my wife would touch let alone hold the hose. I bungie the waste hose to the toilet seat bolts. Doesn't move. Put the hose tip under the toilet liquid level and pump clean water thru the system first to make sure everything is connected properly. Waste drains quickly and since I don't poison my tanks with anything blue the smell is not overpowering. A couple flushes mid stream help.

Been doing it this way for 10 years if there's a line at the dump station exiting a state park where the oblividiots spend an hour backflushing, etc.

Storm sewer in the street is an inappropriate place to dump sewage.

-- Chuck
Old 12-24-2019, 11:37 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post

Storm sewer in the street is an inappropriate place to dump sewage.

-- Chuck
But what about the sanitary sewer? In reality the only difference is whether or not it goes through the side sewer line first or just directly into the main sewer. Ends up in the same place.

Old 12-24-2019, 11:43 AM   #20

If I used a metal tipped hose, I would tape over the threads. Plastic, use as is. WEAR LATEX GLOVES!
Just carefully push the hose into the toilet slowly and feed it up and through the S turn so that about a foot of hose is being fed down past the S turn. Maceate away. Look Ma, no hands!
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump