Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2019, 09:09 AM   #1

Attack of the Blob!

I know there are many threads about how to sanitize tanks, and I have done that, but I still have a problem. While using my water pump, water would flow ok for a while, then slow to a trickle and stay there. I finally discovered that the pump filter was clogged with algae. I cleaned the filter, but the same thing happened again, so I decided to take a look in the tank and the result is what you see in the photo.

This gunk is not fazed by bleach, even at 200 ppm, and is too big to drain through the tiny 3/8 inch drain hole. I would love to scrape and scrub the inside of the tank to get rid of it, but of course the problem is gaining access. My first thought was some kind of access port, but I am having difficulty finding something that I think would work.
I found this, but it seems too small: https://www.marinesan.com/Holding-Ta.../307238685.htm

I found this, but it seems too large: Access Panels|tank|hatch|boat|water|TCL4

And I’m not sure if either will withstand the pressure of being submerged. (There is no access to the tank from above.)

I also thought of installing a larger drain fitting, hoping that the gunk will drain out, but I see that the spin weld fittings require a router, not a drill, and I don’t want to buy one of those. The only access to the tank is from the bottom or one end and the tank is about 4-5 feet long.

I just ran across this, not sure if it would work to build a larger drain: https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/it...x?itemid=89951

I really want to clean the gunk out without removing the tank as that is not easy to do.

Does anyone have any other solutions that I haven’t thought of?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Algae.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	200848  
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 10:19 AM   #2
Site Team

Bleach should kill and break that down, but you have to remember that as soon as you add the bleach it gets used up until it gains ground on the algae. You may have to add bleach several times to get it to break down the algae. You also may have to agitate it (drive around).

If you still want to add a port, the "Holding Tank Cleanout" you linked should work fine.
Old 04-07-2019, 10:36 AM   #3
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Might try real hot water in the tank, then drive around to slosh it vigorously...then dump.

Might soften that stuff up enough to drain out.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:02 AM   #4

Thanks for the suggestions.
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by banda View Post
Thanks for the suggestions.
If you can get it to break down, use a shop vac to pull it out thru the drain.
Dwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 11:15 PM   #6

Just thinking outside the box. Are you sure that's algae? Just for giggles, I might try dumping a couple gallons of vinegar into your tank and see what it does...

Good luck.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 12:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
Just thinking outside the box. Are you sure that's algae? Just for giggles, I might try dumping a couple gallons of vinegar into your tank and see what it does.
Hmmmm..... vinegar might work, especially if you add baking soda. That's what they use to break up clogs in drains. I think it's a 1 to 1 ration. Just make certain that you've got some faucets open to let out the carbon dioxide that is released when you mix the two. I think I'd try a cup of each to see what happens.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
Hmmmm..... vinegar might work, especially if you add baking soda. That's what they use to break up clogs in drains. I think it's a 1 to 1 ration. Just make certain that you've got some faucets open to let out the carbon dioxide that is released when you mix the two. I think I'd try a cup of each to see what happens.
That's gonna take A LOT of vinegar and baking soda. How large of a tank does he have ???...overflow vent would take care of the carbon dioxide. Take a little work, but the clean out is a really nice idea. I'd have to go with bleach, hot water, and driving around first.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 06:20 AM   #9
Insert witty title here

When I read the thread title, I was convinced you had met my mother in law.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
When I read the thread title, I was convinced you had met my mother in law.
Or my 22 lb cat.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:23 AM   #11

Removal could then become a problem, but could you dry it out? Is there a way to open it up to let the air dry it out? I know with my koi pond, algae build ups occasionally get out of control. and when the algae dries out, it just flakes apart and its real easy to take care of. You can also consider salt...