Old 09-20-2019, 02:39 AM   #1

Atwood OD50 no hot water with pump

We have a 2016 Shockwave 24FQMX with an Atwood OD50 water heater. Most of our use is dry camping and in three years, we've only used city water connections twice. On our recent trip, city water connection worked very well for faucets and shower providing good hot water flow. Upon returning home and cleaning trailer, I could not get hot water from using fresh water tank and pump. The typical operation is to turn on water pump, turn on gas switch, run hot water valve several seconds and hot water come out.

These are the things I've checked so far.
1. approx. 30gals in FW tank.
2. adequate flow from faucets appear normal, not weak.
3. propane in tanks, valves opened.
4.ECO switch not tripped.
5.Verified fused is good.
6. used magnet to close reed switch, confirmed continuity with multimeter.
7. screw on reed switch in position at upper 1/3 of slot.
8.used magnet to close reed switch, powering relay, confirmed audible click, relay works. also tested relay with multimeter, 11.9volts.
9. used multimeter to check voltage on wire harness for blower, 12volts.
10. no obstruction in pressure switch intake tube.

My limited understanding of these units is they function by sensing water flow of a least 0.5GPM per Atwood product literature. I have not measured water flow, but just visually, it does not appear weak. Flow looks typical of previous usage. The water pump is a Shuflo 4008 RV Revolution By-pass pump. Can the output pressure be adjusted on this pump? Since everything else checks out ok, problem leads me to think it's about water pressure/flow that is not igniting water heater. Am I missing something very elementary? Any suggestions or advice besides replacing it with a Truma, is greatly appreciated.

cmpfirecukn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 07:02 AM   #2

I know you used a magnet to check the switches have you verified there position while running a hot faucet with the pump in operation? If I understand the operation of that type of water heater its flow and not pressure the starts the operation I think the bypass function of the pump can be adjusted it may be bypassing and not allowing enough flow This is a pure guess on my part let the forum know what you find.

2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 12:34 PM   #3

by-pass adjustment

Hi SeaDog,
I opened the faucet on the outdoor shower handle to listened and feel for the switch to open on the WH's modulating valve and the result was negative, still no hot water. Since the whole process starts with water flow unseating the poppet in the modulating valve, flow is a strong suspect. I found several articles on adjusting the pressure shut-off and by-pass switch which I will delve into this weekend. Looking at all things pump related will be my focus. i.e.- pump adjustments, possible leaks, clogged strainer etc. Thank you for the suggestions, will follow-up.
Old 09-22-2019, 03:32 PM   #4

water heater working again

I checked the pressure switch and by-pass switch settings on the Shurflo 4008 water pump and it would turn on and off as expected. No sluggish or continuous running of the pump. No leaks in water line or debris in pump strainer.
Went back to square one by cleaning all the pertinent wire connections in the WH casing. I made a small upward position adjustment of the set screw for the reed switch. Also cleaned battery terminals at the 12volt battery. Placed the magnet in proximity of the reed switch multiple times to open and close switch. Rechecked voltage on the relay and blower wire harness and now it reads 13.4volts!
Voila! we have hot water again at all sinks and showers. The Atwood OD50 is good when it works, but it sure is finicky.
Old 09-22-2019, 03:56 PM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpfirecukn View Post
I checked the pressure switch and by-pass switch settings on the Shurflo 4008 water pump and it would turn on and off as expected. No sluggish or continuous running of the pump. No leaks in water line or debris in pump strainer.
Went back to square one by cleaning all the pertinent wire connections in the WH casing. I made a small upward position adjustment of the set screw for the reed switch. Also cleaned battery terminals at the 12volt battery. Placed the magnet in proximity of the reed switch multiple times to open and close switch. Rechecked voltage on the relay and blower wire harness and now it reads 13.4volts!
Voila! we have hot water again at all sinks and showers. The Atwood OD50 is good when it works, but it sure is finicky.
You reported much lower voltage readings in a previous post. I suspect your issue wasn't the water heater at all but low voltage from poor battery connections and/or low battery voltage from not being charged properly.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=50
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:01 AM   #6

Did not find any mechanical problem with the water heater. The voltage at the battery before cleaning the terminals was 13.6 and solar panel was 13.7. Battery terminals did not have corrosion or sulfation. I thought to reclean terminals, checking and rechecking the electrical path towards the water heater. Battery did have good connection and proper charging even with a load on the system. I suspect the connection between the relay spades, male-female blower harness and ignition control, may have been less than optimal. Thanks SeaDog and 5picker for your input.

Tags
hot water, pump, water