Old 03-16-2016, 03:50 PM   #1

Atwood propane water heater shuts down

Ok, brand new 2016 Coachmen Prism with an Atwood G6A-8E propane only water heater. Here is what it does: if the water in the tank is cold, it fires up and the water gets hot. Maybe too hot but I don't have a thermometer to measure it. When the water gets to whatever temp it is getting to, the main burner shuts off, then attempts to relight, which it does but only for a few seconds. Maybe 5 or so, then the main burner shuts off again. This repeats for 3 cycles and then locks out. After the 1st cycle, the DSI error light turns on. Seems to me that it is a high temp thermostat, but if that were it, wouldn't it not relight since the high temp thermostat disconnects the power to the gas valve?

I know, the best answer is take it to the dealer, it's under warranty. But, we are on our 1st trip 1200 miles from home. I jut want it to work. A few dollars in parts now would be well worth it.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Matt

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

capav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 04:22 PM   #2

Let me just try to get a little more information from you...
Once the water gets to the the temp where the main burner shuts off... how long before the main burner attempts to light again? Seconds?... minutes? or possibly when you've finally used enough hot water that the unit calls for the burner to come on?

Also do I understand you saying the DSI error light comes on after the after the 1st failed lighting cycle but attempts two more lighting cycles before going into lockout?
Typically when the error light comes on, it is in lockout.

TST Tire Monitor - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
2016 Nights Camped = 46
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 04:30 PM   #3

It tries to relight in seconds. Maybe 3 or 4 seconds. This occurs while no water is being used.

Yes, after the 1st relight/main burner run(5 seconds)/shutdown, the blue error light at the control panel inside the coach light, and the heater runs this cycle 2 more times before stopping. If I cycle the on/off switch, it tries 3 more times. If I cycle power after using some hot water, it will run until the water is hot, then repeats the previously mentioned cycles and locks out.

Old 03-16-2016, 04:37 PM   #4

Here is the troubleshooting information from the manual...

CAUSE......................... SOLUTION

WATER HEATER LOCK OUT - SPARK PRESENT BUT NO GAS
Gas pressure incorrect ------------------------------------------Set inlet pressure at a minimum 11˝ W.C. with two or more gas
appliances running
Low voltage--------------------------------------------------------Correct power supply - 10.5 VDC minimum
Blocked main burner tube --------------------------------------Clean burner tube
Blocked main burner orifice ------------------------------------Clean or replace orifice
Loose wires on E.C.O.--------------------------------------------Secure wire connections
Loose wire connections on solenoid valve --------------------Secure wire connections
Loose valve wire on wiring harness ----------------------------Repair wire on edge connector or replace wiring circuit board harness
Defective E.C.O. --------------------------------------------------Replace E.C.O.
Defective circuit board--------------------------------------------Replace circuit board
Defective solenoid valve------------------------------------------Replace coils or solenoid valve
No gas to solenoid valve ----------------------------------------Correct gas supply
Dirty connector on circuit board --------------------------------Clean edge connector

WATER HEATER LOCK OUT - GAS PRESENT BUT NO SPARK
High tension lead wire loose ------------------------------------Secure wire connection on circuit board
Electrodes loosely attached to main burner ------------------Secure electrodes to main burner
Improper electrode gapping ------------------------------------Re-position spark gap to 1/8˝ and into path of flame
Dirty electrodes --------------------------------------------------Clean electrodes
Wires loose in electrode porcelain------------------------------Replace electrodes
Cracked porcelain on electrode----------------------------------Replace electrodes
Defective circuit board--------------------------------------------Replace circuit board

WATER HEATER LOCK OUT - GAS AND SPARK PRESENT
Gas pressure incorrect ------------------------------------------Set inlet pressure at a minimum 11˝ W.C. with two or more gas
appliances running
Low voltage--------------------------------------------------------Correct power supply - 10.5 VDC minimum
Poor electrical ground--------------------------------------------Secure electrical ground
Electrodes out of flame pattern --------------------------------Re-adjust electrodes
Electrodes sparking to screw fastening burner to flue tube Adjust electrodes away from screw
Dirty electrodes --------------------------------------------------Clean electrodes
Partial obstruction in main burner------------------------------Clean main burner
Partially obstructed main burner orifice------------------------Clean main burner orifice or replace
Improper air adjustment ----------------------------------------Adjust main burner air shutter approximately 1/4 open
Flame spreader on main burner out of adjustment ----------Adjust flame spreader so that it is square to the end burner tube out
of alignment of the main burner
Manifold not aligned with main burner ------------------------Re-align solenoid valve with main burner
Partially opening solenoid valve --------------------------------Replace solenoid valve
2016 Nights Camped = 46
Old 03-16-2016, 04:46 PM   #5

*HERE* is a link to the manual with troubleshooting info.
Scroll down to page 20 for some good test information.
2016 Nights Camped = 46
Old 03-16-2016, 05:02 PM   #6

I have disassembled everything and cleaned. Nothing appeared to be dirty. I checked the electrode gap, it was probably a little wide. I gapped it to 1/8". It is well into the flame and glows when running. All electrical connections are tight and clean.

I don't have any test equipment for gas pressure.

Looks like I will have to take it to the dealer when we get home.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:45 PM   #7

Atwood propane water heater shuts down

If you have cleaned and checked all connectors, especially the temp thermostat, it kinda is pointing to a bad circuit board.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:31 PM   #8

Agree on a control problem.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:37 PM   #9

Thanks for the advice everyone. Next question, would most any service center do warranty work on it or would I need to take it to the selling dealer?

Old 03-17-2016, 12:48 PM   #10
Head Rambler

It's worth a call to the nearest Atwood servicing location and see if they'll take you in.

Tags
heater, propane, water, water heater