Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2015, 08:07 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
MNtraveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,941
Atwood water heater plastic plug

Two questions, maybe related:

1) when this came out, it seemed to have some goop on it. When re-inserted should pipe dope or Teflon tape be added to the threads?

2) how tight to make it to prevent leaks but not damage the plastic? When I initially closed it fairly tight (maybe one thread showing), it was oozing just a small bit so I snugged it up a bit more and that seemed to do it.

PS: New 15/16" socket seemed to be the best tool - thoughts there? Not much room to maneuver...

PPS: In addition about worrying about being too tight, I'm worried about cross-threading this sucker. Seems like it could easily be done. Anyone had that happen?

OK, that's 4 questions! ☺️
__________________

__________________
2016 FR Forester 2401R
Towing 2014 Honda CR-V
MNtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:21 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: St Pete/FL
Posts: 347
Are you referring to the anode rod? If so, yes to the teflon tape. Tighten but not so much you can't get it off tomorrow if needed.
__________________

__________________
Dobe Fanatic - Largo, Florida
2012 Flagstaff T12RB A-Frame
DobeFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:23 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Ford Idaho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Idaho
Posts: 9,840
I use tape on my plastic plug, much easier to clean off the threads.


I start it with my fingers, if it starts easy then I use a socket and a 12 inch extension to go a little more before using the ratchet.


I check for leaks after the water is hot and then just snug it up till it stops leaking.
__________________
2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:27 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
rracer5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Full Timing It
Posts: 2,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
Two questions, maybe related:

1) when this came out, it seemed to have some goop on it. When re-inserted should pipe dope or Teflon tape be added to the threads?

2) how tight to make it to prevent leaks but not damage the plastic? When I initially closed it fairly tight (maybe one thread showing), it was oozing just a small bit so I snugged it up a bit more and that seemed to do it.

PS: New 15/16" socket seemed to be the best tool - thoughts there? Not much room to maneuver...

PPS: In addition about worrying about being too tight, I'm worried about cross-threading this sucker. Seems like it could easily be done. Anyone had that happen?

OK, that's 4 questions! ☺️
When I had an Atwood, it had pipe dope from the factory. I cleaned that up and used teflon tape. It did ooz so, I re-wrapped the plug with about 10 layers of teflon tape. I thought about getting a metal plug but, the extra tape plus the heating of the water heater must have swelled the plug enough that it never leaked again.

If you use extra tape, that will help it feel snug enough and, as I said, the heat helped seal it up.
__________________
"PT Crew Members Since 9/2010"
2011 RAM 2500 HD 6.7L CTD Crew
2014 Sanibel 3250
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 11:36 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
MNtraveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,941
Atwood water heater plastic plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by DobeFanatic View Post
Are you referring to the anode rod? If so, yes to the teflon tape. Tighten but not so much you can't get it off tomorrow if needed.

The Atwood has a plastic plug, no anode rod, but it's the same location. Thanks for your comments.
__________________
2016 FR Forester 2401R
Towing 2014 Honda CR-V
MNtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 11:38 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
MNtraveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by DobeFanatic View Post
Are you referring to the anode rod? If so, yes to the teflon tape. Tighten but not so much you can't get it off tomorrow if needed.

Thanks!
__________________
2016 FR Forester 2401R
Towing 2014 Honda CR-V
MNtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 11:39 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
MNtraveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
I use tape on my plastic plug, much easier to clean off the threads.


I start it with my fingers, if it starts easy then I use a socket and a 12 inch extension to go a little more before using the ratchet.


I check for leaks after the water is hot and then just snug it up till it stops leaking.

Thanks - sounds like about what I did so all good. I'll try the extension rod for longer non-leveraged loading, if I can get it on.
__________________
2016 FR Forester 2401R
Towing 2014 Honda CR-V
MNtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 11:40 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
MNtraveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
When I had an Atwood, it had pipe dope from the factory. I cleaned that up and used teflon tape. It did ooz so, I re-wrapped the plug with about 10 layers of teflon tape. I thought about getting a metal plug but, the extra tape plus the heating of the water heater must have swelled the plug enough that it never leaked again.



If you use extra tape, that will help it feel snug enough and, as I said, the heat helped seal it up.

Thanks. I'll be giving the tape a try in the spring. Can't wait!
__________________
2016 FR Forester 2401R
Towing 2014 Honda CR-V
MNtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 12:18 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 114
2 wraps with the tape is all you need. Anymore than that puts to much stress on the threads.
__________________
FOREST RIVER FW 8524RLWS
2010 FORD F 150 5.4
#1-18' Nomad #2- 20' Mallard #3- 27' Sunline #4- Four Winds C #5- Innsbruck 40' PARK # 6- 28' Amerilite #7- Forest River 26.5 FW ( 1st FW)
SULTINI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 12:29 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
MNtraveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by SULTINI View Post
2 wraps with the tape is all you need. Anymore than that puts to much stress on the threads.
Makes sense, thanks!
__________________

MNtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
heater, water, water heater

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:17 PM.