Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2015, 08:07 PM   #1

Atwood water heater plastic plug

Two questions, maybe related:

1) when this came out, it seemed to have some goop on it. When re-inserted should pipe dope or Teflon tape be added to the threads?

2) how tight to make it to prevent leaks but not damage the plastic? When I initially closed it fairly tight (maybe one thread showing), it was oozing just a small bit so I snugged it up a bit more and that seemed to do it.

PS: New 15/16" socket seemed to be the best tool - thoughts there? Not much room to maneuver...

PPS: In addition about worrying about being too tight, I'm worried about cross-threading this sucker. Seems like it could easily be done. Anyone had that happen?

OK, that's 4 questions! ☺️
Old 11-05-2015, 08:21 PM   #2

Are you referring to the anode rod? If so, yes to the teflon tape. Tighten but not so much you can't get it off tomorrow if needed.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:23 PM   #3

I use tape on my plastic plug, much easier to clean off the threads.

I start it with my fingers, if it starts easy then I use a socket and a 12 inch extension to go a little more before using the ratchet.

I check for leaks after the water is hot and then just snug it up till it stops leaking.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
Two questions, maybe related:

1) when this came out, it seemed to have some goop on it. When re-inserted should pipe dope or Teflon tape be added to the threads?

2) how tight to make it to prevent leaks but not damage the plastic? When I initially closed it fairly tight (maybe one thread showing), it was oozing just a small bit so I snugged it up a bit more and that seemed to do it.

PS: New 15/16" socket seemed to be the best tool - thoughts there? Not much room to maneuver...

PPS: In addition about worrying about being too tight, I'm worried about cross-threading this sucker. Seems like it could easily be done. Anyone had that happen?

OK, that's 4 questions! ☺️
When I had an Atwood, it had pipe dope from the factory. I cleaned that up and used teflon tape. It did ooz so, I re-wrapped the plug with about 10 layers of teflon tape. I thought about getting a metal plug but, the extra tape plus the heating of the water heater must have swelled the plug enough that it never leaked again.

If you use extra tape, that will help it feel snug enough and, as I said, the heat helped seal it up.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 11:36 PM   #5

Atwood water heater plastic plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by DobeFanatic View Post
Are you referring to the anode rod? If so, yes to the teflon tape. Tighten but not so much you can't get it off tomorrow if needed.

The Atwood has a plastic plug, no anode rod, but it's the same location. Thanks for your comments.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DobeFanatic View Post

Thanks!
Old 11-05-2015, 11:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
I use tape on my plastic plug, much easier to clean off the threads.

I start it with my fingers, if it starts easy then I use a socket and a 12 inch extension to go a little more before using the ratchet.

I check for leaks after the water is hot and then just snug it up till it stops leaking.

Thanks - sounds like about what I did so all good. I'll try the extension rod for longer non-leveraged loading, if I can get it on.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
When I had an Atwood, it had pipe dope from the factory. I cleaned that up and used teflon tape. It did ooz so, I re-wrapped the plug with about 10 layers of teflon tape. I thought about getting a metal plug but, the extra tape plus the heating of the water heater must have swelled the plug enough that it never leaked again.

If you use extra tape, that will help it feel snug enough and, as I said, the heat helped seal it up.

Thanks. I'll be giving the tape a try in the spring. Can't wait!
Old 11-06-2015, 12:18 PM   #9

2 wraps with the tape is all you need. Anymore than that puts to much stress on the threads.
#1-18' Nomad #2- 20' Mallard #3- 27' Sunline #4- Four Winds C #5- Innsbruck 40' PARK # 6- 28' Amerilite #7- Forest River 26.5 FW ( 1st FW)
SULTINI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 12:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SULTINI View Post
2 wraps with the tape is all you need. Anymore than that puts to much stress on the threads.
Makes sense, thanks!
MNtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 01:03 PM   #11

No anode rod on Atwood water heaters.
hillsdaletc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 01:10 PM   #12

My tire tool that has a correct size to tighten the plug. It's one that has four sizes and is cross shaped. It's straight and long enough to get the job done. I find it easier than a ratchet and socket (plus I always carry one in my truck).
stallsmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 06:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Tried just a couple wraps on HW heater plug & a few others I found leaking over the years. Always seemed to be plastic plug into metal giving problems. The only way I could get the leaks to stop was using several wraps of teflon. Maybe something about plastic shrinking with age and causing leaks. Must be why Atwood used pipe dope for a better seal.
I just didn't have any pipe dope on hand when I discovered the leaks.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 06:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
Tried just a couple wraps on HW heater plug & a few others I found leaking over the years. Always seemed to be plastic plug into metal giving problems. The only way I could get the leaks to stop was using several wraps of teflon. Maybe something about plastic shrinking with age and causing leaks. Must be why Atwood used pipe dope for a better seal.
I just didn't have any pipe dope on hand when I discovered the leaks.
Pipe dope lives up to it's nickname, any dope can put it on pipe!

It is fast and cheap (in no way related to the RV industry)

There IS a right way and a wrong way to use thread tape.

Three trips around the plug has been more than enough, once the tank gets hot it will swell/expand some so a little extra nudge might be needed.

Old 11-06-2015, 07:09 PM   #15

My last trailer had an Attwood with the plastic plug. As others have said, a couple turns of Teflon tape worked well for 3 or 4 ins and outs, then the threads seemed to wear out or something - also, as others have said, easy to cross thread. I always carried a spare just in case - pretty cheap insurance.
Cathcartww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 03:17 AM   #16

I replaced my plastic plug with a small profile boiler valve. Makes it easier for draining.
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 01:51 PM   #17

Interesting idea!
Old 11-08-2015, 07:24 PM   #18

Quote:
I agree with the two wraps but it doesn't hurt at all to put a little pipe dope over the Teflon, the combination does wonders if you have a small leak that the Teflon doesn't quite seal. Just a small amount is all you need, it has helped me on the job seal some stubborn leaks.
floridela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 09:12 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridela View Post
I agree with the two wraps but it doesn't hurt at all to put a little pipe dope over the Teflon, the combination does wonders if you have a small leak that the Teflon doesn't quite seal. Just a small amount is all you need, it has helped me on the job seal some stubborn leaks.

Thanks!

Tags
heater, water, water heater