Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2015, 09:36 AM   #21
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 45
I will look for the RV Digest. Yes, we're in Colorado until December, when we'll be moving to southern NV. Wanted to do it during school break.

TURBS, considering I'll be moving to 50-70-degree weather by January, I don't want to completely outfit my rig for winter, but, one, how would I find out/what would I look for to determine if my pipes are heated; and two, what can I do in this two-month time frame? Just read the sticky about winter living?

TIA!
__________________

__________________
whisperwhillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:42 AM   #22
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Is the water backing up in the toilet? Maybe I missed it, but you said that you see it 4 to 5" below the toilet valve. Most RV holding tanks are only about 6" deep.

Have you had the black tank valve open the whole time?
You probably didn't miss it. My posts have been made on about two hours' sleep, so maybe I'm the one who missed part of the sequence.

So, when I FIRST noticed there may be an issue, I could see water pooling when I flushed. Since the black tank was registering as empty and I did an empty just in case it was misreading, I went to the Internet to see what I could do about a potential clog. The first thing I came across was two pots of boiling water. Now, two pots of boiling water later, the water, and everything else, is up to the top of the commode.

No, I don't ever leave my black tank open -- gray, yes; black, no. Should I not even leave gray open?
__________________

__________________
whisperwhillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:42 AM   #23
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Tia, if you have heated tank pads and outlets there will be switches in the convenience center with all your other switches.

Hopefully labeled "tank heaters"

You'll burn thru a ton of propane to keep that unit warm enough to hopefully keep it all from freezing.
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:45 AM   #24
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisperwhillow View Post
You probably didn't miss it. My posts have been made on about two hours' sleep, so maybe I'm the one who missed part of the sequence.

So, when I FIRST noticed there may be an issue, I could see water pooling when I flushed. Since the black tank was registering as empty and I did an empty just in case it was misreading, I went to the Internet to see what I could do about a potential clog. The first thing I came across was two pots of boiling water. Now, two pots of boiling water later, the water, and everything else, is up to the top of the commode.

No, I don't ever leave my black tank open -- gray, yes; black, no. Should I not even leave gray open?
Leave grey closed till full as well.
It will help after draining black to clear the pipe.

I suspect your not using enough water when flushing.

Speaking of water, how are you getting water to the camper?
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:47 AM   #25
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxcamper View Post
Heated underbelly only means that the heat duct of the furnae goes through the same space as the water lines and tanks. The compartment itself is not actually heated.
I may have missed it, but what is the model of your unit?
It's a 2014 Forest River Cherokee Toy Hauler 377V.
__________________
whisperwhillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:49 AM   #26
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Tia, if you have heated tank pads and outlets there will be switches in the convenience center with all your other switches.

Hopefully labeled "tank heaters"

You'll burn thru a ton of propane to keep that unit warm enough to hopefully keep it all from freezing.
Oh, gosh, I don't have anything labeled like that.
__________________
whisperwhillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:49 AM   #27
Boss Ox & Drovergirl
 
oxcamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: N.E. Ohio Snow Belt
Posts: 671
There's no good way to actually see if your gate valve is opening or closing without crawling under the trailer. If there is underbelly covering, you won't see a thing without removing some of it. When you actuate the dump handle, (not knowing what unit you have ) do you feel any resistance to the handle as you pull or push it?
__________________
Mark, Vicki, & Scout THE dog
2015 Hemisphere 282RK
2010 F250 Super Duty
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:51 AM   #28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Waynesville
Posts: 12,028
Turbs I could be wrong but I think she said (Thanks in advance) not that her name is Tia? But it is a Nice Name! Youroo!!
__________________
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:51 AM   #29
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Leave grey closed till full as well.
It will help after draining black to clear the pipe.

I suspect your not using enough water when flushing.

Speaking of water, how are you getting water to the camper?
Okay, then, I'll keep that closed as well. That makes sense.

I'm hooked up to the water at the campground, but I turned it off as well as the pump so as to keep the flusher depressed all night without adding water.
__________________
whisperwhillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:55 AM   #30
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Won't they be turning off the water there soon?

Heck here in Iowa most cg's have shut water off to the park.

You can camp here but have to bring in your water.
__________________

__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:21 AM.