Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2015, 01:52 AM   #1

Backed up, spent small fortune so far

Boy, hubby hasn't even left yet for the deployment, and we're already running the gamut with all of the issues we're having. So, the commode in the main bathroom is backed up. Basically, I noticed that things weren't going anywhere a little ways into the commode drain, i.e., when we flush, we could see standing water down there about four to five inches below the commode drain stop. I went out and attempted to empty the black, but nothing would come out. That's when I started researching.

I found a video and several other posts that all reflected the "magic" of boiling water, so off I went to boil two pots of water -- one at a time. I poured the first one in, nothing really happened, so I got the second. Nothing really happened with that one either except to fill the bowl.

Having seen these things did nothing, off I went to Camping World. I picked up, at the recommendation of a service gentleman there, some chemical that's red and is supposed to eat through the toilet paper. I put it in seven hours again, still nothing. I also picked up a wand that you can attach a hose to and pressurize the blockage out. There's so much in there ar this point that I'm concerned about what would happen if we put more water in at this point.

Next I bought a snake. That can't seem to reach far enough down to unblock anything.

Well, I picked up some Drano today. I'm really at a loss. Seriously, it's not like we have yards and yards of pipe for this stuff to go through, I would think it would eventually eat through the toilet paper and drain.

The latest is Drano. I put a whole bottle in there, and I see no improvement. I'm at a loss as to what do to.

Recap of what I've tried so far over the course of this three-day period:
Boiling water (two pots)
I think I may have put a capful or two of bleach in there
Tissue degrader stuff from CW
Wand for garden hose
Snake
Plunger
Drano
I think that's it.
whisperwhillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 04:05 AM   #2

Seems you are going through it all. With your Black Tank, there are only really two things that can happen. I doubt it is a tissue problem. It sounds like to me that the solids have blocked your pipe at the tank. I went through the same things years ago. I called a mobile tech. Told him what the problem was. He stated that most likely the solids turned into concrete. I was never at or been at a full hook-up site before. I left my black tank open not knowing that only the liquid would then come out and the solids would stay in the tank. Well after about 2 weeks the head was backing up. He said I only had two choices, gave me a name of a product to buy to break up the solids, had to let sit for 24 hrs. and hoped it worked or I would have to replace the tank. Well it worked and the tank drained after 24 hrs. I can't remember the name of the stuff it's in a powder form. A person in Goshen had the same problem I gave them a pack and the next day there's worked to. I will see If I have anymore in the trailer so I can give you the name. The other thing that can happen is your valve is not opening. Lets hope that's not the problem. I'm sure one of the other members might know the name of this stuff. It might work, or it's the valve. I also tried a snake with no luck at all. Also the plunger, just made a mess.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 06:00 AM   #3

I would be careful adding any more chemicals. All those chemicals could react against each other and cause deadly gasses or fire. I doubt that they would given the amount of dilution with all the water but......
Old 10-29-2015, 06:11 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

They make an adapter that goes at the end of your drain pipe that has a water hose hose fitting on it to back flush the black tank.
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1446116902968.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	93161
Only way for the black tank to get plugged like this.
1) left black tank valve open at a full hookup.

2) your not using near enough water when flushing.

If you number two the bowl should be almost full.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 06:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
They make an adapter that goes at the end of your drain pipe that has a water hose hose fitting on it to back flush the black tank.
Attachment 93161
Only way for the black tank to get plugged like this.
1) left black tank valve open at a full hookup.

2) your not using near enough water when flushing.

If you number two the bowl should be almost full.
I have one of those, however it does not work the way my plumbing is set up. My black & grey tanks connect together with a tee just after the valves. When I spray water in it basically just hits the tee and does direct the spray to the right location.

Just check your plumbing at the outlet to see if the spray would be effective. You may need to resort to just opening the black tank valve and snake a hose up there or a snake and just let everything run out. If you do this at a dump station they usually have some type of curb to keep spillage contained. Just be careful you don't get the "shower of shame" if you resort to this method.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:31 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

If the bt hole is plugged with debris the water will force it open regardless of spray.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:32 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Op, do you know how much water is in your tank?

Are you sure the gate valve is opening?
Old 10-29-2015, 06:50 AM   #8
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Only to state the obvious, is your dump valve opening properly?
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 06:54 AM   #9

Wisper Will,are you still in Colo.for the Winter? What all have you Prepped for Cold/Winter? Maybe you have Frozen Poo at discharge Valve? Without lots of Prep. a Toyhauler is a Bad Choice to winter in! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 07:01 AM   #10

When I had that happen on one of my units and I was at a loss I used my electric power snake that I normally use when snaking my house plumbing pipes and after about 20 minutes it was able to break up what ever was in there and clear the issue. I ran the snake through the toilet itself.

Eastlake, Ohio
2013 F-350 Turbo Diesel
2016 Heritage Glen 368rlbh
Dinostop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 07:11 AM   #11

I know my bt is registering as empty.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisperwhillow View Post
I know my bt is registering as empty.
Can you answer Post# 9? Youroo!!
Old 10-29-2015, 07:37 AM   #13

Huh. I must not have scrolled all the way down. Sorry about that.

Yes, I am in Colorado. The guy we bought it from, when I asked what we needed to do to live in it in the winter, said, "Nothing. It has an insulated underbelly."

Is there an RVing for Dummies book? I may need it, seriously. Total immersion training here.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:45 AM   #14

OP, I use RV Digest-it in my black tank. It's supposed to dissolve everything into a liquid within 24 hours. That's using a whole bottle. I've had good luck with it although I haven't had the pyramid in a good number of years, knock on my head, er I mean wood. As stated above watch what you're pouring into the tank because you don't want a chemical reaction to happen. Also as stated above water, water, water when you flush solids. Digest-it is a bottle full of enzymes or whatever you call those wee things. Good Luck.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 07:46 AM   #15

Quote:
Huh. I must not have scrolled all the way down. Sorry about that.

Yes, I am in Colorado. The guy we bought it from, when I asked what we needed to do to live in it in the winter, said, "Nothing. It has an insulated underbelly."
He LIED to You! Do a SEARCH at the Top in regards to Winter Living,this will NOT turn out well for you! Youroo!!
Old 10-29-2015, 07:48 AM   #16

Okay, Pipeman. Thank you!! Is this something I can pick up at Walmart?

Thank you, Youroo! I'll look at that ASAP! Much appreciated.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:14 AM   #17

Quote:
Okay, Pipeman. Thank you!! Is this something I can pick up at Walmart?

Thank you, Youroo! I'll look at that ASAP! Much appreciated.
That is what I was talking about in post #2, but got it in a powder form. Make sure it sits for the 24 hr. I thought you were wintering in Nevada? At the Southern AFB? When your DH gets deployed? I found the pac that saved my Black Tank. It's called White RV Digest, say's it safe to use with chemicals. It says it will dissolve, tissue, solids and grease. But 24 hrs. is a MUST.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:19 AM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

If it Atleast doesn't have heated tanks and heated drains "with" the heated underbelly you'll have issues
Old 10-29-2015, 08:29 AM   #19
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Heated underbelly only means that the heat duct of the furnae goes through the same space as the water lines and tanks. The compartment itself is not actually heated.
I may have missed it, but what is the model of your unit?
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:29 AM   #20
Site Team

Is the water backing up in the toilet? Maybe I missed it, but you said that you see it 4 to 5" below the toilet valve. Most RV holding tanks are only about 6" deep.

Have you had the black tank valve open the whole time?