Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2015, 08:36 AM   #21

I will look for the RV Digest. Yes, we're in Colorado until December, when we'll be moving to southern NV. Wanted to do it during school break.

TURBS, considering I'll be moving to 50-70-degree weather by January, I don't want to completely outfit my rig for winter, but, one, how would I find out/what would I look for to determine if my pipes are heated; and two, what can I do in this two-month time frame? Just read the sticky about winter living?

TIA!
whisperwhillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:42 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Is the water backing up in the toilet? Maybe I missed it, but you said that you see it 4 to 5" below the toilet valve. Most RV holding tanks are only about 6" deep.

Have you had the black tank valve open the whole time?
You probably didn't miss it. My posts have been made on about two hours' sleep, so maybe I'm the one who missed part of the sequence.

So, when I FIRST noticed there may be an issue, I could see water pooling when I flushed. Since the black tank was registering as empty and I did an empty just in case it was misreading, I went to the Internet to see what I could do about a potential clog. The first thing I came across was two pots of boiling water. Now, two pots of boiling water later, the water, and everything else, is up to the top of the commode.

No, I don't ever leave my black tank open -- gray, yes; black, no. Should I not even leave gray open?
Old 10-29-2015, 08:42 AM   #23
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Tia, if you have heated tank pads and outlets there will be switches in the convenience center with all your other switches.

Hopefully labeled "tank heaters"

You'll burn thru a ton of propane to keep that unit warm enough to hopefully keep it all from freezing.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:45 AM   #24
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisperwhillow View Post
You probably didn't miss it. My posts have been made on about two hours' sleep, so maybe I'm the one who missed part of the sequence.

So, when I FIRST noticed there may be an issue, I could see water pooling when I flushed. Since the black tank was registering as empty and I did an empty just in case it was misreading, I went to the Internet to see what I could do about a potential clog. The first thing I came across was two pots of boiling water. Now, two pots of boiling water later, the water, and everything else, is up to the top of the commode.

No, I don't ever leave my black tank open -- gray, yes; black, no. Should I not even leave gray open?
Leave grey closed till full as well.
It will help after draining black to clear the pipe.

I suspect your not using enough water when flushing.

Speaking of water, how are you getting water to the camper?
Old 10-29-2015, 08:47 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxcamper View Post
Heated underbelly only means that the heat duct of the furnae goes through the same space as the water lines and tanks. The compartment itself is not actually heated.
I may have missed it, but what is the model of your unit?
It's a 2014 Forest River Cherokee Toy Hauler 377V.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:49 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Tia, if you have heated tank pads and outlets there will be switches in the convenience center with all your other switches.

Hopefully labeled "tank heaters"

You'll burn thru a ton of propane to keep that unit warm enough to hopefully keep it all from freezing.
Oh, gosh, I don't have anything labeled like that.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:49 AM   #27
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

There's no good way to actually see if your gate valve is opening or closing without crawling under the trailer. If there is underbelly covering, you won't see a thing without removing some of it. When you actuate the dump handle, (not knowing what unit you have ) do you feel any resistance to the handle as you pull or push it?
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:51 AM   #28

Turbs I could be wrong but I think she said (Thanks in advance) not that her name is Tia? But it is a Nice Name! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:51 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Leave grey closed till full as well.
It will help after draining black to clear the pipe.

I suspect your not using enough water when flushing.

Speaking of water, how are you getting water to the camper?
Okay, then, I'll keep that closed as well. That makes sense.

I'm hooked up to the water at the campground, but I turned it off as well as the pump so as to keep the flusher depressed all night without adding water.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:55 AM   #30
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Won't they be turning off the water there soon?

Heck here in Iowa most cg's have shut water off to the park.

You can camp here but have to bring in your water.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:57 AM   #31
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Turbs I could be wrong but I think she said (Thanks in advance) not that her name is Tia? But it is a Nice Name! Youroo!!
Hmmmm you could be right.

I've never seen anyone use Tia before.
Dated a Tia once, maybe I was reminiscent of that?
Sorry Tia if your names not Tia .

Your Tia now regardless!
Old 10-29-2015, 08:58 AM   #32
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Depending on the layout of your plumbing, this may help.
The 282 RK has the black and front gray tank connected to a T and comes out one hose outlet. My black wasn't draining well, only a dribble of water, no solids. I have a 90 deg elbow to the drain hose right at the waste hose connection which with a lot of water flowing through it provides some back pressure. Anyway, with the black valve open and my gray tank full, I opened the gray valve for about 5 seconds and closed it. The rush of water hit the elbow and back flushed through the black valve and viola! the clog of goop was pushed backward just enough to start the flow of the black tank. Then, spending about an hour of letting the black tank flushers do their thing, the tank was clean. Finished it off with the rest of the gray tank as a final rinse through the hose and "Bob's your Uncle!"

Agree with TURBS comment on don't be stingy with the water in the toilet. After cleaning the black tank, I always put 4 - 5 gallons of water in the tank before I start using it and flush generously when having to use TP. I would rather clean more frequently than worry about a pyramid or clog.
Just my 2 cents.
BTW, we are seasonal and only move the TT maybe once a season. The rest of the time we're hooked up.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
Old 10-29-2015, 09:03 AM   #33

Quote:
Okay, then, I'll keep that closed as well. That makes sense.

I'm hooked up to the water at the campground, but I turned it off as well as the pump so as to keep the flusher depressed all night without adding water.
I think you have just answered you own Q ,You are using the Toilet as a PIT Toilet,NO Water valve open! You are in DEEP DoDo! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:03 AM   #34

Lol. My name is actually not Tia, but yes, it is a nice name. Y'all are hilarious!!

Until I can figure out where to get this digest it stuff, I'm going to try that, Oxcamper.
And Bob is my uncle!!
Old 10-29-2015, 09:04 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
I think you have just answered you own Q ,You are using the Toilet as a PIT Toilet,NO Water valve open! You are in DEEP DoDo! Youroo!!
Oh, this isn't the norm. I left it open last night to allow the Drano to work its way down the drain and not get stopped by the flush valve.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:31 AM   #36
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

To which Bob are you referring? With some of the Bob's on here, I feel sorry for you! One thing that hasn't been mentioned, are you pulling the correct black tank lever? I'm assuming you (without looking at floorplan) that since you said it was your "main" toilet, that you have 2 baths, and thus you most likely have 2 black tanks. Just covering all bases. (and as Turbs said, your name will be Tia from here on out! )
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:36 AM   #37
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
To which Bob are you referring? With some of the Bob's on here, I feel sorry for you! One thing that hasn't been mentioned, are you pulling the correct black tank lever? I'm assuming you (without looking at floorplan) that since you said it was your "main" toilet, that you have 2 baths, and thus you most likely have 2 black tanks. Just covering all bases. (and as Turbs said, your name will be Tia from here on out! )
Oh dear I didn't see that......
Do u in fact have two toilets?
tia what say u?
Old 10-29-2015, 11:04 AM   #38

Yes, there are two black tanks -- one in the back that is just a black tank for the commode, sink and washer/dryer unit, and one in the front with the gray tank.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:09 AM   #39
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Tia,
The specs on your unit say you should have 80 gal black capacity. It doesn't tell if that's combined between the 2 but probably is. If you have 2 black tanks, the one in the back has it's own dump valve handle and is operating normally?
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
Old 10-29-2015, 11:29 AM   #40
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Quote:
I will look for the RV Digest. Yes, we're in Colorado until December, when we'll be moving to southern NV. Wanted to do it during school break.

TURBS, considering I'll be moving to 50-70-degree weather by January, I don't want to completely outfit my rig for winter, but, one, how would I find out/what would I look for to determine if my pipes are heated; and two, what can I do in this two-month time frame? Just read the sticky about winter living?

TIA!
To get to your questions about winter living, you'll be fine if the temps stay above freezing. Interior temps can be regulated with small ceramic space heater, a small one or 100 watt light bulb in the basement can help keep your pipes from freezing. Outside water hose will need a heat trace and insulation to keep that from freezing.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade