Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2015, 10:00 PM   #61

Following this one.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 11:27 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisperwhillow View Post
The unit is new to us, but we've been filling ("ew!") and emptying the forward black tank seemingly just fine. We've been living in the RV for almost a month now.
"
One question I didn't see asked is: Have you ever successfully dumped this black tank? If not, then I'd definitely check for a problem at the valve.

A friend had a totally blocked black tank, which was discovered when the tank was 2/3 full. She ended up calling a mobile RV tech who was able to clear it out using a long (6-8') wand run up through the sewer hose connection. He dissolved the clog from below which avoided adding any water to the tank.

Unfortunately (fortunately?) I wasn't around when he finally cleared the clog so I didn't see what happened when the tank started draining. Since he was working without a sewer hose attached, I assume that he took a "dirty" shower as the clog cleared.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 02:15 AM   #63
Just a member

Struvites?

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 04:44 AM   #64

That video is absolutely gross. I will admit I do some big things in my toilet but I have never seen such gross looking dark chocolate brown water in my life. I watch thru my clear adapter when I dump and have never seen anything remotely close to that color. Wow!
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 05:33 AM   #65

The clog could be from manufacturing debris. It is not unknown for a hole cutout to fall into the tank during installation. The cutout can move around in the tank and block the gate valve.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:24 AM   #66
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmsherman View Post
One question I didn't see asked is: Have you ever successfully dumped this black tank? If not, then I'd definitely check for a problem at the valve.

Phil
Tia answered that in post 51.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:43 AM   #67

Status update: So, I spent the greater part of the day yesterday getting tools and chems and then trying to get the underbelly thing off. I got the corrugated underbelly off and the insulation off (phew! That was a task!)and found that there are things called "Thermal Tank Warmers." Quite honestly, it looked somewhat intimidating to try to take them off as they spanned the entire underbelly of this beast, so I put everything back together.

Came back inside and proceeded to work the toilet, again, with the plethora of tools I have accumulated over the past couple of days: I bought a cheap garden hose and cut the metal end off so as to make it more flexible going into the pipes; I used a 20 ft. snake; I used another snake-type looking device -- I think maybe it's called a wand? -- with a hose attachment on one end and small holes on the other end to sort of pressurize the blockage -- oh, forgot about the plunger. I can't think of anything else tool-wise that I used. Anyway, all of the items seemed to go in about 3 feet and get a little stuck. After some maneuvering, they went in a bit further, maybe about another 5-8 feet or so? At that point, I couldn't get any of them to go any further, and I could hear the other end hitting something -- like whatever I had in the commode was hitting a hard surface.

At the moment, I'm just feeling defeated. Can't stand it when something gets the better of me; I really wanted to fix this. I have a plumber coming at 11:00 provided, as I told him, I do not have this fixed by then.

I'm attaching some photos of the exterior area of the sewer stuff. If anyone has any additional input, please let me know. Some of you have mentioned hooking something up outside. I have taken out some of the water from the commode, so if you can find in the pictures to what I should be attaching something, please let me know.

TIA!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4766[1].jpg
Views:	125
Size:	247.2 KB
ID:	93281   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4765[1].jpg
Views:	105
Size:	390.2 KB
ID:	93282   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4764[1].jpg
Views:	148
Size:	231.6 KB
ID:	93283  
whisperwhillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 11:35 AM   #68

Plumber just called to follow up. He's on his way... =(((

I'll post what he finds/does when he leaves.

Waving bye-bye to $300!
Old 10-30-2015, 11:37 AM   #69
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Tia, normally I'd say pics or it didn't happen however, well waive that clause. [emoji87] [emoji85]
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 11:38 AM   #70

Uncle Bob, you don't see the pics?
Old 10-30-2015, 11:39 AM   #71
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisperwhillow View Post
TURBS, you don't see the pics?
No I mean while the plumber is there........ "what he finds"
Old 10-30-2015, 11:43 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickiedooFlagman View Post
The clog could be from manufacturing debris. It is not unknown for a hole cutout to fall into the tank during installation. The cutout can move around in the tank and block the gate valve.
Huh, I wonder if that's what I'm hitting. I could see maybe that could be the culprit for maybe a slow-draining commode, but for it to be completely stopped up, as in either a perfect fit to lodge itself in there or completely covering? I guess we'll see soon.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:44 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
No I mean while the plumber is there........ "what he finds"
Oh, right... I get it. lol.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:47 PM   #74

Final verdict: I just didn't go far enough with my pressure hose. Took him all of 30 minutes to get in there and pressure the waste out of the way. I don't think he made it further than I did. He just did it more than I did, I guess. Working like a charm now. However, the attachment he used was a bit different. It looked gold and it was straight, and it fit on the end of the garden hose.

What I've learned is that next time simply empty as much out of the commode as possible, get the pressure hose in there and fiddle with it to get it as far in there as possible and then keep with the cycle of pressure/empty bowl, pressure/empty bowl until it clears.

Thank you all for the responses and patience. I'll be posting the next thing to fix, if possible, in a few days. I work at home, and due to the bathroom issue taking up so much of my time, I need to get caught back up.

Uncle Bobs, until next time! And thanks again!

"TIA"
Old 10-30-2015, 12:48 PM   #75
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Saaaaweeet!
Glad all is well!

Ub
Old 10-30-2015, 02:16 PM   #76

Also, can someone tell me what the white hookup is behind the sewer drain in Image 1 of Post #67, please?
Old 10-30-2015, 02:18 PM   #77
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Either a low point drain or fresh water tank drain
Old 10-30-2015, 08:38 PM   #78

Fantastic. Glad all is well. Remember, water moves solids. Water in black tank is your friend. Always fill with more water before dumping.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 05:11 PM   #79
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Hooray! Glad you got it working Tia!
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 04:33 AM   #80

This summer I got a call that the toilet was backed up.
Is the flush valve opening at bowl?
Is the gate valve at drain opening?
Important: allow tank to partially fill before draining. RV toilets us very little water during a flush unless you hold the pedal or lever.
All valves were properly functioning.
So here we go with the good part!
Use caution if chemicals were used!!!
Trash bag over the arm, arm down toilet all the way and massage the crap out of the pipe so it flows once again.
Only other thing could be when the pipe flange hole was drilled they left the 3" disk in tank so years later it blocks the exit hole.
Good Luck....

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
mfMcFroggierPod is offline   Reply With Quote