Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2011, 04:09 PM   #1

Backflow preventer for tank rinse

Pic. of valve that blew apart inside the secret compartment and flooded the bathroom! Youroo!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2200.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	7093  
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:40 PM   #2

Hey! That's what I have been looking for.
Mine leaks too but not for long. Gonna get a brass one and change it out.
Did you change yours yet?
Any advice?

Thanks for posting the photo.

Bill

"I've got a mind like a steele.. a......a steele......um.....uh...... what's that thing called again?
fivecodys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:46 PM   #3

My '09 Rockwood had one and it was bad from the start. It was located behind a panel in the street side rear pass thru.
I flooded the carpet in the bedroom twice before I found it!
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:39 PM   #4

I think most of them are crap...my first one failed...noticed water dripping from corner of trailer...was spraying inside and luckily headed towards the corner. Dealer replaced it. Now a year later, noticed the same thing the last time I used it. I'll replace it with something better (brass maybe) this time and hope it lasts. Great idea and helpful when it works.
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Pic. of valve that blew apart inside the secret compartment and flooded the bathroom! Youroo!!
Forest River had a bunch of bad back flow preventers a while ago, mine was also bad.
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:16 PM   #6

Can I use this to replace my black-water-rinse backflow preventer?
Backflow Preventer - $10.53

Bill

"I've got a mind like a steele.. a......a steele......um.....uh...... what's that thing called again?
Old 09-06-2011, 07:47 PM   #7

Been there done that already.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Bill
2020 GMC Duramax-3500HD 4x4 CrewCab
B&W Companion 25K Fifth Wheel Hitch
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS (West Coast Model)
56 Gallon Titan Tank
bsmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmall View Post
Been there done that already.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Thanks for the picture, very helpful.
Any advice for installation?

Bill

Old 09-06-2011, 10:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
what was it on?
on mine the one on the black water flush looks more like a vacuum breaker. i didn't really examine it though.

when we required back flow preventor at my former place of employment, it consisted of 2 check valves in series with a pressure release between.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivecodys View Post
Thanks for the picture, very helpful.
Any advice for installation?

Bill
I just had a little water trying to weep thru the threads and make a drip about every minute, so i just kept tightening it so far so good.

Bill
2020 GMC Duramax-3500HD 4x4 CrewCab
B&W Companion 25K Fifth Wheel Hitch
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS (West Coast Model)
56 Gallon Titan Tank
bsmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh View Post
what was it on?
on mine the one on the black water flush looks more like a vacuum breaker. i didn't really examine it though.

when we required back flow preventor at my former place of employment, it consisted of 2 check valves in series with a pressure release between.
Dont know if this is what you are asking but it was on a (V-Lite) or it was on the (black water rinse). I called it a (valve),they may call it a (vacuum breaker) or( check valve) at the time I didnt care,it was failing and flooding my trailer. Two ckeck valves and a pressure relief valve would be overkill,and also need another hole to be drilled in the floor for water discharge. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:57 AM   #12

i can imagine when ur chasing a leak ur not worried abt the technicalities.
i was wondering if it was on the water inside the trailer. what i have is external between the shell and the tank. no chance of getting on the inside of the trailer.

i haven't taken a close enough look at what i have; it appears that it drains the line when the pressure is off of it.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmall View Post
I just had a little water trying to weep thru the threads and make a drip about every minute, so i just kept tightening it so far so good.
I'm going to order the part today.
I will report back.
Thanks for the help.

Bill

Old 09-07-2011, 02:02 PM   #14

i looked at mine and have the same thing. just outside next and above the tank. u wouldn't want a vent inside on the black. they do put vacuum breakers on the inside that go to the gray (good argument for not contaminating gray tanks w/blk water).

what i was getting at is that a check valve is not a back flow preventer. it has to be used in conjunction with something else or another check valve to be a back flow preventer.

in ur photos, backflow prevention is accomplished by the loop and the check. if u cut out the loop, u wouldn't have backflow prevention.

sellers will call the check a back flow preventer because most think of them that way.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:12 PM   #15

Quote:
i looked at mine and have the same thing. just outside next and above the tank. u wouldn't want a vent inside on the black. they do put vacuum breakers on the inside that go to the gray (good argument for not contaminating gray tanks w/blk water).

what i was getting at is that a check valve is not a back flow preventer. it has to be used in conjunction with something else or another check valve to be a back flow preventer.

in ur photos, backflow prevention is accomplished by the loop and the check. if u cut out the loop, u wouldn't have backflow prevention.

sellers will call the check a back flow preventer because most think of them that way.
Well..I'm confused now.
Is the photo a one way valve? Or, does it serve as a vent also?
It does have a odd shape. I can't imagine venting black tank gas into the trailer.
Now my head hurts!

Old 09-07-2011, 03:59 PM   #16

the one by youroo looks like a spring loaded check.
the one by bsmall looks more like 2 checks. if he has changed the brass one, he would be able to tell more abt what he found.

with the loop the check should be enough insurance. only other thing, u need to see if the check is dependent on position. some will only work if mounted vertically. depends on how it is made inside.

as far as i can tell, mine isn't vented. it was very difficult to see in there. if i had to replace it, i would examine it more closely. i would tend to replace in kind (except for the plastic). there is too much abt plumbing and the why's and how's i don't know. was surprised to find vacuum breakers hidden inside the cabinet.

until abt 15 yrs ago, i didn't know that a check and a backflow preventer weren't one in the same. the term showed up on a line test sheet and i asked why they didn't just say check. was told there was more to the backflow preventer.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:14 PM   #17

Quote:
the one by youroo looks like a spring loaded check.
the one by bsmall looks more like 2 checks. if he has changed the brass one, he would be able to tell more abt what he found.

with the loop the check should be enough insurance. only other thing, u need to see if the check is dependent on position. some will only work if mounted vertically. depends on how it is made inside.

as far as i can tell, mine isn't vented. it was very difficult to see in there. if i had to replace it, i would examine it more closely. i would tend to replace in kind (except for the plastic). there is too much abt plumbing and the why's and how's i don't know. was surprised to find vacuum breakers hidden inside the cabinet.

until abt 15 yrs ago, i didn't know that a check and a backflow preventer weren't one in the same. the term showed up on a line test sheet and i asked why they didn't just say check. was told there was more to the backflow preventer.
Ok, I think I understand. I would like to replace with the same type of part but when I call the dealer (60 miles away) I get put on hold forever and a day.
The dealer has replaced this twice already so there is no use putting another one in there.
If anyone knows of a place to check for parts, I am open to suggestions.

Thanks for the help.

Bill

Old 09-07-2011, 06:47 PM   #18

pull it and see what u have. depending on where u live. they shouldn't be that hard to come by. home depot, lowes. if u have a plumbing supply they will have it. a spring loaded check can be mounted any way.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:21 PM   #19

the one listed by fivecodys in post #6 looks good. my only question is is it spring loaded.
there is also one by camco that is spring loaded at Amazon.com: Camco 23303 RV 1/2" Back-Flow Preventer: Automotive
in that service, i wouldn't look at a check valve or back flow preventer as being critical. u r probably going to put one on the end of ur hose as well.
if u have a trailer or rv supply place anywhere near u, they probably have it.