Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2014, 01:58 PM   #21
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by awellis3 View Post
Since you have exhausted all logical causes, let's get to the illogical ones (if they exist). Empty the grey water tank and close off everything you've sealed off before. Plug all drains with rubber stoppers or the like. Put a hose up and into the tank via the dump pipe or down the roof vent and put a "tracer" of some sort (e.g. perfume) into the tank. In other words, work the problem backwards. One-by-one, unplug and use each drain re-plugging as you move on. Which drain makes the trailer smell like a cheap floozy and under what conditions?
I mean ... you thought of everything else, haven't you?
Sounds like an excellent plan of attack! In addition I would let it sit, completely sealed/plugged except for vent on roof for at least half an hour and then do your sniff check.
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 02:18 PM   #22

Funny you mention perfume. I had told my DW that I needed a smoke bomb to put in the tank and see where it was coming from. If the dealer can't find anything, I will try the water down the roof vent suggestion. That's about all I have left.
We have been in Petosky Mi. for the last week and just found there was a Rockwood dealer here. Should have driven that way last week and see if they could have fixed my water heater under warranty. Too late now. Leaving for Kazoo tomorrow.
Thanks to everyone for the help so far.
Bob
Old 09-28-2014, 03:10 PM   #23

Now you've got me thinking how to send smoke down the roof vent and see where it comes out. Sounds like a product someone should come up with.
Bob
Old 09-28-2014, 03:34 PM   #24
Toy-aholic

I chased a similar issue this summer...still don't know what fixed it but it's fixed....first I replaced the air admit. valve that I found barely hand tight....I installed those Cyclone vent pipe thingys on my black & galley vent pipes. I was convinced my odor was either the black or grey tanks...but came to find out it was the galley tank that had something nasty in it. I always drained grey & galley completely....that was my mistake. What I did was fill all 3 tanks about 1/2 full with water & deodorizer packets. Then off to the campground. Dumped & flushed them all when I got there. The sloshing during the trip gave the tanks a good cleaning & haven't had a problem since. All 3 tanks get a couple gallons of water with deodorizer for travel.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:46 PM   #25
I owe it all to bacon.

We had the same thing happen this weekend. I checked the air admittance valve under the kitchen sink. Does anyone know if these go bad? Do these hold water in them? It was snug on the pipe. Ours occurred after we dumped hot water down the sink. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
Eklc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:04 PM   #26

Erik the vent functions like a roof vent. They open to allow air to enter the pipe when water is draining to the waste tank. They close to prevent gases from entering the living space. It's simply a lightweight flap valve, very cheap at the Depot or Lowes. Hot water didn't harm it, if water reaches it you got bigger problems!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:20 AM   #27
I owe it all to bacon.

Thank you. I will replace it and hope it helps.
Eklc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:49 AM   #28

Gooiebob do you smell the odor when not connected to campground sewer hookups? Not long ago, a camper told me they ran into a situation at a campground where they noticed a really bad sewer odor emitting back into their grey water tank and up into the camper. After thorough search for the odor, they eventually learned it was emitting from the campground sewer lines, which was confirmed when they disconnected from the hookup.
Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:14 AM   #29
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice View Post
Gooiebob do you smell the odor when not connected to campground sewer hookups? Not long ago, a camper told me they ran into a situation at a campground where they noticed a really bad sewer odor emitting back into their grey water tank and up into the camper. After thorough search for the odor, they eventually learned it was emitting from the campground sewer lines, which was confirmed when they disconnected from the hookup.
A good reason to always keep all the dump valves closed when hooked to a campground sewer. If you don't, you are venting the entire campground sewer system thru your vents. Also, most campgrounds require donuts or screw in sewer connections.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:22 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice View Post
They must have been hooked up with their (Dump Valves) Open for this to happen. Normal SOP is Only open when Dumping. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 11:12 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Ok, so if we take a step back, I see two issues that need to be addressed:

1) Smell from the grey tank is making it back into the trailer.
2) There's a smell coming from the grey tank.

Resolution:

1) Examine all air admittance valves and traps. Except for a hole in the plumbing that's the only way smell can make it back into the trailer. As others have said, a valve could be faulty, or a trap might not be holding enough water, etc... Repairing whichever one is at fault is the only way to address those.

2) We need to determine why there's a smell in the first place. Either it's coming from the campground's lines when hooked up to sewer, or it's coming from something in your tank. To address the campground, either don't hook up, or at least make sure your dump valves stay closed. If it's coming from your tank, than you'll want to clean the tanks. More than just a straight fill and dump, you might also need to put in some kind of cleaner, either some TST, the Geo Method or similar, and then drive around to get it to coat the tank and give it a good cleaning.

I suspect it's the second case and your tanks need a good cleaning. Especially since you said your monitor always reads 1/3. That's often indicative of sludge build up.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:07 PM   #32

Thanks for the replies today. The sewer valves are always closed. The air admittance valves are new. They have a bigger rubber flap than the original. I'm thinking a hole somewhere. The only time we get it is when the shower is used. Covered all the openings I can find. Going to the dealer tomorrow for other issues and see what they say. The smell is strongest under the kitchen sink where the drain goes through the floor to the tank. Took the saran wrap off the valve under the sink to allow draining this morning. Won't know now until we use it hopefully later in Oct.
Bob
Old 10-14-2014, 07:34 PM   #33

Thought I'd give an update to my "dealers" problems. A new switch and resets have been ordered for the water heater. When they are replaced they can check the electrical side of the water heater. The smell problem, nothing yet. They flood tested the tanks and found no problem. Guess I'll continue with the saran wrap on the air admittance valves. The slide chatter marks on the slide are a mystery. The measurements are within a quarter inch of each other. The slide has been moved as far forward as possible. The next step, they have to go through FR and Lippert. They are hoping a tech can come from Lippert to check it. They said they would winterize it for me. I guess I know when I'll get it back. Done for the year, but need it for Jan. for a run to Florida for a couple of weeks.
Bob

Tags
grey water, water