Old 07-16-2012, 03:57 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Wouldn't hurt to flush fresh water tank and lines with bleach just to be safe. Ya never know what the previous owners did.
Also check by your fresh water pump there may be a filter ..... it could be nasty as well!

Since your a/c only draws inside air I would open the big square vents and let it air out. Does one have a fan on it? That would help

Old 07-16-2012, 05:06 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

My money would be on the old refrigerator leaking/soaking the board with ammonia (cat urine smell). You might try mixing 1 part vinegar and 2 parts water and spraying under the refrigerator if you can get to it. If not, you may just have to remove the unit and treat it with the vinegar/water solution. There are also some good pet urine odor removal products available. Worst case is replacing the board or painting the existing board with several coats of paint.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:06 PM   #13

When I bought the trailer the guy told me the built in fridge had gone bad and he put in a mini fridge. Is it possible the old fridge's coolest system went bad and leaked ammonia onto the board underneath and the new fridge is heating it up? I guess that would explain why the smell seems to be comming from the back bottom of fridge. The new one is less then 6 months old. Does this sound possible? If it is the new fridge that is going bad, is it a fire hazard? I left power to it and won't return till the weekend.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilderness503 View Post
When I bought the trailer the guy told me the built in fridge had gone bad and he put in a mini fridge. Is it possible the old fridge's coolest system went bad and leaked ammonia onto the board underneath and the new fridge is heating it up? I guess that would explain why the smell seems to be comming from the back bottom of fridge. The new one is less then 6 months old. Does this sound possible? If it is the new fridge that is going bad, is it a fire hazard? I left power to it and won't return till the weekend.
This is what I was suggesting earlier, the old frig probably leaked the ammonia out and is now absorbed into the wood. However, I am not sure how long ammonia would smell once evaporated. I am guessing it would last. I would get some "natures miracle" Nature's Miracle Just For Cats Urine Destroyer - Nature's Miracle Sale - Featured Products - PetSmart but in a smaller bottle and spray it on the wood a few times, or as another suggested a 2 to 1 mix of vinegar and water and spray on the wood. and see if it helps. If not buy a quart of Kilz primer or some other type of a wood cover that would trap that smell in. Lowe's or the such should be very able to show you a product that will work. They have stuff you can paint on a sub floor of your house to cover pet odors with., this is what you would look for.

http://rvpdi.com
Acableguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:38 PM   #15

That would make a lot of sense since when we first hooked power up it didn't smell. As the fridge ran all night and day it heated up the ammonia in the wood. I assume it is really going to stink when I open up the place next time.
One more question...When we leave should I empty the holding tanks completely or empty them, fill them back up a little with fresh water, and do the geo method while we are gone for weeks at a time?
Old 07-16-2012, 08:47 PM   #16
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilderness503 View Post
That would make a lot of sense since when we first hooked power up it didn't smell. As the fridge ran all night and day it heated up the ammonia in the wood. I assume it is really going to stink when I open up the place next time.
One more question...When we leave should I empty the holding tanks completely or empty them, fill them back up a little with fresh water, and do the geo method while we are gone for weeks at a time?
The geo method works best if you are towing. We use the geo method while we are camping and when we get home, drain the tanks and add about a cup of Pinesol in a gallon of water in each tank while it sits for any length of time, be it a week, month or months. Tanks do not have a foul smell with the Pinesol in them.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:08 AM   #17

Well I went down to the trailer this weekend to pull the fridge out, replace the plywood holding it up and scrub everything down to get rid of smell. When I went around to the back vent I noticed the smell a lot. A buddy of mine came over and said that it smelled like propane. Turns out that the old owner disconnected the propane fridge and tried to cap the old line. Well he didn't do a great job at it so propane was leaking out causing the trailer to smell. I shut off the propane, opened some windows, and turned on a fan. Within an our it smelled 10 times better in the trailer. Now that I know the problem I need to put a shut off valve on the old line or just cap it at the source. Thanks for all your input though.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:15 AM   #18

Wow! You got lucky!
Old 07-23-2012, 11:22 AM   #19

Better appologise to the cat

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel
Nigels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:24 AM   #20

Good job you didn't flick your lighter to see under that refrigerator

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel
Nigels is online now   Reply With Quote