Old 07-16-2012, 02:56 PM   #1

Bad smell in trailer

New to the forum and new to owning a trailer. I have so many question and the forum has already been a big help. My biggest problem right now is that this past weekend was the first time we stayed in our newly purchased used trailer. It is a 1999 27x Terry. Friday night when we got in, there was no smell that we noticed. Saturday we noticed a strange smell getting stronger throughout the day. Saturday morning I had opened the black and gray water tanks to see if there was anything in them as we had bought the trailer used. I noticed that the gray water smelled pretty bad. After that is when we began to notice the smell inside. It is the same smell as what came from the gray water holding tank. I tried to flush them out several times but the smell continued to be there. From what I can tell the smell is coming from under the built-in fridge where I believe the gray water tank is. Did I do something wrong? We will not be going back to the trailer till Friday as it is at a campsite where it will permanently stay. I'm afraid that being closed up all week is going to create a horrible smell. I just don't understand why it didn't smell before Saturday.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Was it a rotten egg smell?

Old 07-16-2012, 03:06 PM   #3

No it was more a ammonia smell. Definitively not the same smell at the black water.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:10 PM   #4

Does your refrigerator work or work well? The refrigerator uses an ammonia solution for the cooling. It may be leaking.

http://rvpdi.com
Acableguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:13 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Was your roof vents open? And I wonder if the gray water vent stack is near one?
Old 07-16-2012, 03:14 PM   #6
Experienced Newbie

At a minimum, pour some water into each sink and shower/tub drain to fill the traps. While this won't remove the source of the smell, it should at least slow down the infiltration of the smell into the living space.

My recommendation would be to mix up some heavily bleached water and laundry detergent to both the black and grey tanks then go for a drive around the neighborhood to slosh it around. Then let it sit for a day or so before flushing.

2011 Silverado CC/SB
2014 Cougar 31SQB
mhartzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:21 PM   #7

Sorry I am so new to this. The vents on the roof (square that you crank open) were closed. The built-in fridge was actually removed and replaced with a small fridge/freezer combo. On the back of the trailer there is a hatch door that I opened up and it lead to the back of the fridge. The smell seemed to be committing from the bottom but I could not tell if it was the fridge or what was below it. Where would I find the vent stack? I have been trying to get my hands on the owners manual with no luck.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:24 PM   #8

Just wondering if old frig leaked all the ammonia out and now still smells? I dont know how long ammonia would smell for exposed to air?

Also good luck on an owners manual, if you do find one its just generic information, nothing real specific to the model. Definitely will not have any plumbing info in it.

http://rvpdi.com
Acableguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:27 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilderness503
Sorry I am so new to this. The vents on the roof (square that you crank open) were closed. The built-in fridge was actually removed and replaced with a small fridge/freezer combo. On the back of the trailer there is a hatch door that I opened up and it lead to the back of the fridge. The smell seemed to be committing from the bottom but I could not tell if it was the fridge or what was below it. Where would I find the vent stack? I have been trying to get my hands on the owners manual with no luck.
Owners manual will do you no good as they are vague and cover a lot of models with no real value.

Vent stack will be on top of camper and about 4 in. In diameter one might be plugged.

Try flushing tanks and do a search on (Geo method) on frf.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:35 PM   #10

I have been reading about the Geo method. I will deffinitly give it a try when we get back down there on Friday. Is it possible that from sitting for a while and then opening things up and running water could cause the smell? It is strange that it didn't smell in there when we fist looked at it and then when we slept in it Friday night. It just got worse throughout the day on Saturday. I wasn't sure if I did something wrong with the gray water or what.
The fridge has some fiberglass insulation around the back of it that looks like the guy put there we bought it from. My first though was that it was heating up and causing the smell. I took it out to see if it helped but it did not. The refrigerator is only a few month old. It smells like stale pee in that area.
Are the square vents supposed to be open even white the AC is running? Also it has vent covers, can I leave the vents cracked up a bit while we are not using for a period of time to let some fresh air in or is that bad to do?