Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2018, 08:30 AM   #1

Bad water pump already???

So i bought our Arctic Wolf home from storage this weekend to winterize it.
I leveled out the camper in the driveway, added 6 gallons of pink stuff to the empty water tank and flipped the pump on. The pump turns on and it's building up pressure in the lines, but there's no pink stuff coming out...just air.

The pump is a Shurflo 4008-101-A65.

If i close all the faucets, the pump just keeps running and running. If i open any faucet, air rushes out but no liquid ever comes out. I pulled the filter off the pump and it looks brand new. If i pull the inlet hose off and put my thumb over it, it sucks but not as hard as i would have thought for a ~3gpm pump. Same goes for the outlet side, doesn't push as hard as i would have expected. I can easily blow air into the hose that goes to the water tank, so i don't think that's obstructed. Plus if i give it a few good puffs and stop, i can smell the scent of the pink stuff coming up the hose. I also pulled the pump apart and i dont see any leaks, cracks, etc in anything.

Camper is only 2 years old and i can count on 1 hand how many times we use the water tank.

Any ideas?

This is an arctic wolf, so it has a sealed underbelly. So i can't see anything beyond the hose where it goes into the pump. If i want to see the tank, i would have to pull the underbelly off

SOLD-2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 w/ Max Trailering Package
willie1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:31 AM   #2

FYI, the water heater has been diverted off line.

Old 11-05-2018, 08:41 AM   #3

You should never pour antifreeze in the freshwater tank, always draw from the jug straight into the system. This way the af won't get diluted with water, you won't have a hard time in the spring flushing the af from the tank to get rid of the smell and you probably only need 1 gallon instead of 20 because now your pump is sucking air as there is not enough af in the tank.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie1280 View Post
So i bought our Arctic Wolf home from storage this weekend to winterize it.
I leveled out the camper in the driveway, added 6 gallons of pink stuff to the empty water tank and flipped the pump on. The pump turns on and it's building up pressure in the lines, but there's no pink stuff coming out...just air.

The pump is a Shurflo 4008-101-A65.

If i close all the faucets, the pump just keeps running and running. If i open any faucet, air rushes out but no liquid ever comes out. I pulled the filter off the pump and it looks brand new. If i pull the inlet hose off and put my thumb over it, it sucks but not as hard as i would have thought for a ~3gpm pump. Same goes for the outlet side, doesn't push as hard as i would have expected. I can easily blow air into the hose that goes to the water tank, so i don't think that's obstructed. Plus if i give it a few good puffs and stop, i can smell the scent of the pink stuff coming up the hose. I also pulled the pump apart and i dont see any leaks, cracks, etc in anything.

Camper is only 2 years old and i can count on 1 hand how many times we use the water tank.

Any ideas?

This is an arctic wolf, so it has a sealed underbelly. So i can't see anything beyond the hose where it goes into the pump. If i want to see the tank, i would have to pull the underbelly off
The pump is probably fine. 6 gallons may not be enough for the pump to pick up. Does your unit no have a winterizing kit installed on the pump? No need to put antifreeze in the FW tank with the kit installed. No need to sanitize the tank in the spring. The kit is a t-fitting at the pump with a valve and a 2' hose.
Only 2 gallons needed using this system. Drain your antifreeze out and save it. fill your tank and see if the pump works.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:45 AM   #5

Adding Pink to FW tank is NOT the way to Winterize! Your pickup for FW is located higher than 6 gallon! Direct pump at water pump where you felt suction!
Old 11-05-2018, 08:48 AM   #6
Site Team

Nothing wrong with your water pump. There is not enough liquid in the FW tank.

Check the library section of the forum. Under plumbing is a guide to winterizing. Using the FW tank to winterize is not recommended as it wastes gallons of antifreeze and is very difficult to remove in the spring. You should only need 2-3 gallons max.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:49 AM   #7

Just pull from antifreeze bottle. I just did this and only used 3 gallons, a little less, including the washing machine lines. I never put any in the FW tank.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:50 AM   #8

No, our camper does not have this winterizing kit you speak of. The inlet hose goes from the pump and directly into the sealed underbelly and presumably the FW tank.

Last year i did this same method and didn't have any issues.

I guess i'll drain the FW tank and go purchase a hose so that i can bypass the FW tank and try that. Are those hoses available anywhere besides an RV dealer?

Old 11-05-2018, 08:54 AM   #9
Site Team

Yes
Here

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Permane...interizing+kit
Or here
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Per...36543/33754537

TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Old 11-05-2018, 08:57 AM   #10

Ordered from Amazon!

Old 11-05-2018, 10:33 AM   #11
Commercial Member

willie1280,

Thank you for being a part of the Cherokee family. If you are still experiencing this inconvenience, please contact Mikala Yoder in our Customer service department through the following personalized and direct link: Forest River RV Direct Service Contact - Forest River, Inc..

This direct link is provided for your convenience in order that we may resolve your concerns as quickly as possible. We will strive to respond to you within 24 hours of receiving your correspondence.

Thanks, Forest River
ES_FR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:59 PM   #12

One solution to the problem now that you have the antifreeze in the tank is to "tilt" your unit so the pump inlet at the tank is as low as possible. One set of tires up on a curb with the others down on the street should tilt the tank so everything in it runs to the pickup point.

Continue with your winterizing project and you should be successful in getting pink stuff through the system.

While still "tilted" open the tank drain and let any remaining antifreeze out so you don't have as much to flush in the spring.

No curb? Stack leveling boards/blocks on one side.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 03:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie1280 View Post
No, our camper does not have this winterizing kit you speak of. The inlet hose goes from the pump and directly into the sealed underbelly and presumably the FW tank.

Last year i did this same method and didn't have any issues.

I guess i'll drain the FW tank and go purchase a hose so that i can bypass the FW tank and try that. Are those hoses available anywhere besides an RV dealer?
I went to the hardware store (Menards) picked up a barbed fitting and a length of tubing to fit. Disconnect line from FW tank, attach fitting with hose, stick in jug of AF....pump away.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 03:22 PM   #14

I add it to my FW tank as well, no biggie. Works great! The first bit of water to come out is just that, water, then I get the pink stuff and I run it for just a bit to get it worked good through the system, drain the low points, outside shower to get it running through those, outdoor sink and low point, turn off the pump and let it set for the winter. I dont ever use my FW tank or ever plan too so I dont see any issue with it, maybe if I did I would think differently.
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 04:48 PM   #15

Bad water pump

I don’t know that I would drain and keep the af that you had put in fw tank. If you have A few gallons of fresh water still sitting in the tank (?), the af will be diluted and will not provide protection to the rated temperature indicated. FWIW

2011 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins
2014 Columbus F320 RS. 5th
2007 Corsair. 246 RKS 5th
dnicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 04:58 PM   #16
Site Team

I would fill and drain the FW tank several times to get as much antifreeze as you can out. Then do it again in the spring when you winterize.

TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Old 11-05-2018, 05:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
I add it to my FW tank as well, no biggie. Works great! The first bit of water to come out is just that, water, then I get the pink stuff and I run it for just a bit to get it worked good through the system, drain the low points, outside shower to get it running through those, outdoor sink and low point, turn off the pump and let it set for the winter. I dont ever use my FW tank or ever plan too so I dont see any issue with it, maybe if I did I would think differently.
Read post #1 Op knows how to do it. It is not pumping.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:12 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Read post #1 Op knows how to do it. It is not pumping.
Read post, was referring to the other posts you may have missed and should read about other folks suggesting not use the method.

"I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant"

Wise words right there..^^^
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 05:23 PM   #19

I’m at a loss.
Installed winterizing kit, drained pink stuff out of FW tank to a bucket. Put winterize valve on, hose in bucket and nothing. The pump barely lifts the pink stuff an inch. Pulled pump and swapped in an identical brand new one, same darn thing!!

Both pumps are pressurizing the lines, but neither will draw liquid or shut off (keeps running and running).

What am i missing????

Old 11-07-2018, 05:43 PM   #20

Couple more test I just ran. Left inlet side going to bucket and took off outlet side to see if I could just eliminate entire system and be able to cycle liquid just through pump....nadda

Also tried capping off the outlet side to see if I could get pump to stop, thinking maybe there’s a hole somewhere in the outlet lines preventing the pump from priming...pump still wouldn’t shut off even with a cap threaded directly on the outlet side of pump.

Lastly, checked voltage with pump running and got a steady 13V

Tags
pump, water, water pump