Old 07-24-2016, 11:17 AM   #1

Before we get a mechanic involved (Water heater)

We have a 2012 2650 Sunseeker, we were out about a month and the water heater went on the fritz.... It work one evening, (husband thought I had used all the hot water), next morning no hot water. So the honey bunny looked to see if it was off, nope still on but he couldn't get the button to push off. Hope it is something minor, any hints, ideas, or is a mechanic time?. We live in Green Valley, AZ, about 25 miles south of Tucson, and recommendations who to take the "Beast" too?
Thanks kindly
Cindi Mac

Cindi Mac
Cindimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 11:32 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindimac View Post
We have a 2012 2650 Sunseeker, we were out about a month and the water heater went on the fritz.... It work one evening, (husband thought I had used all the hot water), next morning no hot water. So the honey bunny looked to see if it was off, nope still on but he couldn't get the button to push off. Hope it is something minor, any hints, ideas, or is a mechanic time?. We live in Green Valley, AZ, about 25 miles south of Tucson, and recommendations who to take the "Beast" too?
Thanks kindly
Cindi Mac
Howdy Cindi Mac, sorry to hear of your troubles. We kinda need a little more info to go on, as there are usually two different brands of water heaters that Forest River may have used in your year of RV....and unless someone who has that exact RV model is answering, it is kind of guess work to others like me.

The part I red emboldened in your quote above, can probably answer this. Exactly what button (you probably mean switch) is your husband switching on/off? Is it inside the RV, or is it outside on the face of the water heater?

Thanks, and hopefully we are going to get you fixed up. I kind of have a feeling what is wrong, but want to verify things before sending you on wild goose chases.

I am also moving this thread over into the plumbing section to get possibly more answers.

Materialism: buying things we donít need with money we donít have to impress people that donít matter.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 11:40 AM   #3

Before we get a mechanic involved (Water heater)

Thanks for the reply, yes it's a switch, and it is located outside, (just having a senior moment). I will go later this week to the storage unit and take a photo and check make and model. Again thanks for not making me feel completely goofy.
Cindi Mac

Cindi Mac
Old 07-24-2016, 11:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, yes it's a switch, just having a senior moment. I will go later this week to the storage unit and take a photo and check make and model. Again thanks for not making me feel completely goofy.
Cindi Mac

Where is the switch that is "stuck"?

If the switch is on the outside then, it's most likely a Suburban water heater. If there is no switch outside and the drain plug points slightly down, it's most likely an Atwood water heater.

Either way, it sounds like whatever switch is stuck (inside or outside switch), needs to be replaced.

BTW, does it work on the "gas" (propane) setting?
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 11:50 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, yes it's a switch, and it is located outside, (just having a senior moment). I will go later this week to the storage unit and take a photo and check make and model. Again thanks for not making me feel completely goofy.
Cindi Mac
OK, that tells me what I need to know Cindi Mac. You most likely have the Suburban brand, and it's also most likely the SWDE model.

This switch you are talking about is to the electric heating element inside your water heater (that's also the E at the end of the model in SWDE). You use this switch to turn off/on the 120 volt AC electric heating element. You always have to be connected to a form of 120 volt AC power (shore power or generator) to use the electric option.

These switches are known to go bad. I carry a spare switch in my trailer, just for this reason.

Now, you can still use the water heater on propane, even with the switch to the electric heating element being bad. The propane utilizes a Direct Spark Ignitor (that's the D in your SWDE model).

This detailed link below explains both ways to use your water heater, or together if needed. It also explains how this switch should be positioned as well as a cotter pin that is sometimes installed in them (but this shouldn't be applicable to your case)

Suburban's electric switch and much more

I'll find you some links detailing how to replace this electric switch, to post to this thread.

Materialism: buying things we donít need with money we donít have to impress people that donít matter.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 12:31 PM   #6

Every new house has glitch, s,take one step at a time and talk to the folks at f/r..They have served me very well in the past... Enjoy yourselves in the rv.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:34 PM   #7

I live in Tucson and have a new 2700 DSF Sunseeker. The best place I know of is Freedom RV on East Irvington Rd in Tucson. 520-750-1100. Ask for Brad or Larry. Not cheap but the BEST.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:27 AM   #8

Thanks for all the info, is it easy to replace switch? Everyone have a great day, and try to stay cool��

Cindi Mac
Old 07-25-2016, 01:05 PM   #9

Real easy, should take the better part of some time to change!
Old 08-31-2016, 06:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkeene View Post
I live in Tucson and have a new 2700 DSF Sunseeker. The best place I know of is Freedom RV on East Irvington Rd in Tucson. 520-750-1100. Ask for Brad or Larry. Not cheap but the BEST.

Just an update....loved Brad......ok took the beast to Freedom RV... Waiting to hear the results....but loved Brad.....
Cindi Mac

Cindi Mac