Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2015, 08:51 AM   #1

Best way to fix leak in hoses from water heater?

I have a 2014 V-Lite 30WFKSS with extended warranty. While camping my wife alerted me to a leak under the kitchen counter. Upon inspection the leak appeared to be coming from a T-fitting behind the water heater connecting tubes to said heater. I saw this by removing the bottom counter drawer as well as opening the lowest access door. I closed both valves behind the heater to stop the water. The position and the crimp fitting on the PEX tubes would make it extremely difficult to reach them from this access area. What is the best way to fix this? Do I have to remove the heater to repair this? Would something like this be covered under the warranty?
SWJewellTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:14 AM   #2

I would honestly let the dealer fix this, leaks are tricky and dealers are trained to spot additional damage that you did not notice and fix it, if they can get it in and fix it quick I would let them do it, if you need it now then I would do it myself or make it work until they can.

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:24 AM   #3

I don't know (Which) Warr you have,Fac 2nd year? or Some other? Even if Fac 2nd year is it within the Time period? If current YES they will/should fix it! If they cant get the (Pex Crimp Tools) into the Cramped area,Yes they will remove (Something) so they can! I would (GUESS)that it might be a (Cracked Fitting) before a PEX crimp issue! Maybe a (Frozen Issue) since it is Spring and Has NOT leaked before! Just Guessing! Youroo!! If a Freeze issue that will (Maybe) be on you,unless the (Dealer) did the Winterize!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:39 AM   #4

I don't know that it didn't leak before because it's a pretty slow leak that could've just gotten worse over time without notice until now, but let's assume that it's either a freeze issue or a pressure issue that is on me. How is the best way to get to this? I have long arms but a bad back, and the position of the problem is up high around the drawer frame. There is a screwed in fake panel, but it's towards the front rather than the back of the heater. Since it's a PEX fitting I can get a Gator Grip T-fitting rather than this plastic crap - I just need a better attack plan than laying on my side and trying to undo the crimp fittings.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:05 AM   #5

Forget removing the PEX crimp sleeves in THAT Location! Cut/add/replace with what ever! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 12:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Forget removing the PEX crimp sleeves in THAT Location! Cut/add/replace with what ever! Youroo!!
X2. Those things are a bear to get off. However, if you just have to remove them I have cut them with a dremel with a cut off wheel on it. I also use shark bites connectors that work very well in tight spots. Other than that if there are panels you can remove without damage I would do that. Getting to those things is a pain and I know what it is to have a bad back. Good luck my friend.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 12:39 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Btw here's the "tool" in question.
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1429033148210.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	269.2 KB
ID:	74246Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1429033168752.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	243.8 KB
ID:	74247
And then of course this one .

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "2 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 01:38 PM   #8

Thanks all!
Old 04-14-2015, 01:48 PM   #9

This should be covered under warranty. I would use that option first so they cant decline future warranty issues.
j free is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, leak, water, water heater