Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2019, 12:31 PM   #61

Another useful tip for keeping things from building up on the walls of the tank is to use water softener in the tank. It makes it slippery in there and keeps stuff from sticking. I just learned that one today so I haven’t tried it yet. You can get water softener at the grocery store in the laundry detergent section.
omega7398 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 03:23 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philkaty View Post
Check you tube for the "ice" thing. It doen't really work and a wates of money.
I have never figured out how ICE is to clean the sensors. The ice would only help keep the smell down.

I add a scoop of laundry detergent to the toilet instead of chemicals. When we bought a new front loader washing machine for our house, it required HE laundry detergent. We were left a bucket of Costco regular laundry detergent without a use. I started add a scoop of laundry detergent to the toilet whenever I dumped the black tank after adding a few gallons of water with the black tank flush. I still have a half a bucket of laundry detergent to go.

I also add a scoop of laundry detergent to the grey tank a few days before I winterize, to clean the grease out of it.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 03:57 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega7398 View Post
Another useful tip for keeping things from building up on the walls of the tank is to use water softener in the tank. It makes it slippery in there and keeps stuff from sticking. I just learned that one today so I haven’t tried it yet. You can get water softener at the grocery store in the laundry detergent section.
That sounds like a good idea. I think I will try that one on the trip the wife and I have planned this coming Friday.
EarlA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 06:06 PM   #64
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk06382 View Post
I have never figured out how ICE is to clean the sensors. The ice would only help keep the smell down.

I add a scoop of laundry detergent to the toilet instead of chemicals. When we bought a new front loader washing machine for our house, it required HE laundry detergent. We were left a bucket of Costco regular laundry detergent without a use. I started add a scoop of laundry detergent to the toilet whenever I dumped the black tank after adding a few gallons of water with the black tank flush. I still have a half a bucket of laundry detergent to go.

I also add a scoop of laundry detergent to the grey tank a few days before I winterize, to clean the grease out of it.
The idea is to dump the ice down the toilet with about 10-15 gallons of water to a just-emptied black tank, then drive around and purposely slosh the tank by pumping the brakes, starting and stopping abruptly, or turning sharply.

It is the ice scrubbing action that helps scrape the sludge off of the inside of the tank.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 09:14 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
they sell some fancy gizmos that go down the toilet and spray water around but I've always felt like that is prob over kill. If you don't have a black tank flush fitting your idea is probably good enough.
I have one of them gizmos and it works .for about $20.00
CampinGpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 06:57 PM   #66

Quote:

The theory is that the cubes floating around scrape the tank. Been proven that it's a waste of ice.

Ice goes in your drinks, not in your black tank !
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 07:11 PM   #67

check the you tube video's for the product reviews
sierra lite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:23 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
The theory is that the cubes floating around scrape the tank. Been proven that it's a waste of ice.

Ice goes in your drinks, not in your black tank !
Wrong...

It hasn't been proven at all as that video is skewd by the guy who attempted to disprove it by not putting enough water in his homemade tank.

Oh wait...it was on the internet so it must be true...
Old 04-29-2019, 07:27 AM   #69

Best way to really clean black tank

I've been filling the toilet bowl full and then dumping it which gives it a good gush of pressure. I do about 10 to 20 flushes like this until I see no more paper and clear water only coming out of the clear plastic elbow. This method is also recommended by my Silverback Cedar Creek manual. I found over the years, it's still the best method.
If I am just moving on to the next campground, then I don't get to carried away, but if I'm done for the season, then I have my wife fill the toilet at the last few times and I keep an eye on the stuff coming out of the clear elbow until everything runs clear. It takes a bit of time, but well worth it in my opinion and never had a problem with clogs.
Joe O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 07:53 AM   #70
Site Team - Lou

Another big believer in Liquid Calgon Water Softener (to break down the wall slime) and Laundry detergent to get it all in solution.

Contrary to popular belief, wall slime is what shorts out the buttons and not paper. There is nothing to "knock off" since the buttons are flat against the wall and there is less than 1/16 inch of rubber insulating the sensor from the wall.

If you want to permanently fix inaccurate sensors, think about replacing the buttons with Teflon stand off ones (formerly by Horst Dynamics - Called Miracle Probes) made now by Valterra. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valterra-...10090301008005

The tall Teflon will shed wall slime and the shield will prevent anything from contacting the probe except liquid.

You should watch the video here:

(NOTE: I do not recommend using the spiral ones in the gray tank. Long hair from the shower can get on the spiral and cause issues. Buy two sets of black tank probes and put one set in the gray tank. You WILL NOT need to change the Fresh water tank probes. All of those problems are caused by tank "levelness" and the physical locations of the fill port and drain/service port.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Horst Probe Install 035.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	604.0 KB
ID:	203124   Click image for larger version

Name:	Black Tank Horst Miracle Probes.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	203125   Click image for larger version

Name:	Horst Probe Install 044.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	507.4 KB
ID:	203126   Click image for larger version

Name:	Horst Probe Install 019.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	203143   Click image for larger version

Name:	Horst Probe Install 020.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	314.8 KB
ID:	203144  

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:31 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Wrong...

It hasn't been proven at all as that video is skewd by the guy who attempted to disprove it by not putting enough water in his homemade tank.

Oh wait...it was on the internet so it must be true...
LOL... So show me a video where it is proven!

Or send a camera down yours showing a before and after!

Even if you use 20lbs of ice, that's a lot of ice yet only 2.5 gallons of water equivalent and it all floats on the top of the water in the tank!

Waste of ice.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:45 PM   #72
waybeck2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
7Murph7,
I can think of 2 simple and cost effective things you can do.
1) Get a clear sewer elbow (either 90 or 45 degree) put this on the end of the dump plumbing on the RV before the stinky slinky. 2) Get one of the Camco tank rinsing wands to stick through the toilet and into the black tank when you are dumping the black tank. (Do Not use your fresh water hose on this!)
You can purchase both at Walmart or Amazon, under $10.
Another thing you can do is use some water softener and liquid detergent down the toilet to keep your sensors working. (Google the GEO Method).

Hope this helps . Good Camping Swampy

I often had issues before I started using the GEO method even with lots of water and flushing with installed black tank flush. Since I started adding Dawn and Calgon never another problem and sensors work fine now. Try it... you will like it.

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:31 AM   #73

Quote:
Unfortunately, when the video maker was trying to prove his own opinion on the subject, he made the test so that his reasoning won out.

His test was flawed by not adding enough water to the tank.

While I've never done it (haven't had the need to)...with enough water it will work.

And I know many that have success with using ice.
If you need ice go for it. I just rinse it with the built-in sprinkler and haven't had any problems yet.
Philkaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:34 AM   #74

Quote:

That sounds like a good idea. I have put some dish washing soap in the tank before we go home so the driving would mix it up. It seems to work good so far.
Philkaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:09 AM   #75
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
If you need ice go for it. I just rinse it with the built-in sprinkler and haven't had any problems yet.
Yep, no need to change what works for John.

In my opinion, however, the whole idea behind "ICE" is for the cubes to smack the sensors to clean them off and scrub the bottom of solids.

Ice floats; so more water actually works against you by having them slosh around at the top of the tank doing nothing for the solids at the bottom or the sensors on the walls.

If you want the ice to actually hit what you are aiming at, only a few gallons will work best. Depending on the physical location of your sensors, (front, back or sides of tank), your driving technique will be braking/accelerating or swerving (obviously within reasonable limits).
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:14 AM   #76
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I simply don't understand nor have subscribed to the notion of "must have a squeaky clean tank at every dump."

Dump, add a bit of water and move on.
Clean to your heart's content at every 3rd-4th dump if you so choose.

50 years of camping and I've never filled and rinsed multiple times and watched through a clear elbow as some are doing EVERY time.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:30 AM   #77

Quote:
As I said previously, I don't use the ice method...

But I do understand how it works and know many others that do use the ice method to their advantage.

The key is to have the right amount of ice and water to allow the ice to slosh around inside of the tank to make contact with all of the walls of the tank.

In that video, the guy put just enough water to allow the ice to slowly slide around on the bottom of the tank...

Ie.- too much ice for the amount of water that was placed in the tank...

Thus, the flawed conclusion of the video.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:40 AM   #78

Quote:
As I said previously, I don't use the ice method...

But I do understand how it works and know many others that do use the ice method to their advantage.

The key is to have the right amount of ice and water to allow the ice to slosh around inside of the tank to make contact with all of the walls of the tank.

In that video, the guy put just enough water to allow the ice to slowly slide around on the bottom of the tank...

Ie.- too much ice for the amount of water that was placed in the tank...

Thus, the flawed conclusion of the video.
To me, looked like perfect amount. Was a great test.

Not sure why everyone thinks they need a perfectly spotless tank anyway.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:01 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
To me, looked like perfect amount. Was a great test.

Not sure why everyone thinks they need a perfectly spotless tank anyway.
Down here in the hot Arizona desert heat, my 5'ver has seen temps over 160 degrees inside while in the storage lot during the off-camping season (ie.- hot summer months).

Doesn't take long for that smell to permeate the camper if the black tank ain't clean!

I just gave my tank a good cleaning last week, although it was a wash and rinse.

We are going to try maybe one more short campout in the next couple of weeks before parking it for the summer.

Plus, I'm thinking about selling it soon and looking around for a smaller bumper-pull TT, so I want it clean.

It is four years old this month, and when I went in it a couple of days ago, it still has that 'New RV smell' inside.

And I'd like to keep it that way...
Old 05-01-2019, 11:31 AM   #80

Sensors? Ha...we don' need no steenking sensors...
windsurfdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, tank