Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2018, 01:49 PM   #1

Black Friday Amazon Water Pressure Reg. w/gauge

Amazon is selling 20 units of this Water Pressure Regulator with gauge for $25 for a Black Friday "special"

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

BTW, they only have a max of 19 left as I just bought one.

From the exploded pictures it looks well made. Certainly better than a $4.95 inline regulator with no adjustment or gauge. One you "hope" is set for 50#

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 02:11 PM   #2
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

It looks to be exactly the same as the Camco that I bought at Camping World that has been replaced three times under warranty.

Word of caution...don't leave it in your camper if the temps are going to drop below freezing.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 03:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
It looks to be exactly the same as the Camco that I bought at Camping World that has been replaced three times under warranty.

Word of caution...don't leave it in your camper if the temps are going to drop below freezing.

Same goes for any water system accessory that can hold water after use.

I just hook the "Blow Out Adapter" to my old inline regulator before putting compressed air hose away and give it a blow out too. If you use an inline filter you can do the same to make sure that freezing doesn't damage it too.

As for it being the same regulator as the Camco, who knows. There are probably 50 different manufacturer's offering regulators with gauges that look pretty much the same with only different casting names on them. Prices from the low $20's to over $50.

Favorable reviews on this one were clearly in the majority.

I needed one so I figured I'd play for the price. If it doesn't work I'll send it back to Amazon.

Old 11-23-2018, 09:37 PM   #4

It's not the regulator that will freeze...it is the oil-filled gauge that WILL freeze and fail!
Old 11-23-2018, 10:23 PM   #5

It’s only $3 off, but I’ve been meaning to get one of the adjustable regulators with a gauge, so what the heck. Can’t be a red hot seller, they still have them at 10:20 east coast time!
Jfkmk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 04:42 PM   #6

Send a message via ICQ to Cover Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfkmk View Post
Can’t be a red hot seller, they still have them at 10:20 east coast time!
That right there should tell you something. Get a Watts unit with a gauge and be done with it.

NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA #455593, WIT #170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 05:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfkmk View Post
It’s only $3 off, but I’ve been meaning to get one of the adjustable regulators with a gauge, so what the heck. Can’t be a red hot seller, they still have them at 10:20 east coast time!
Probably because most are not planning on using their RV's for the next 4 months and are out fighting over bargains on everything from socks to big screen TV's at the malls.

Old 11-24-2018, 10:21 PM   #8

I had an "orange" one. It failed to regulate the pressure and caused some seal damage to my toilet.

I now carry a regular household water gauge as well as a back up RV regulator. I even turn off the water at the pedestal anytime we leave the trailer.
tosh99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 11:15 PM   #9

An update

Mine arrived this morning. I opened the package and was pleasantly surprised. Everything I saw looked and felt like quality. I went over it carefully, removing inlet screen and examining everything I could see. Likewise for the outlet. Casting looks better than most with machine work nice and smooth. From what I could see of the spindle and valve it also looks quality.

As for the gauge, it's filled with oil to dampen pressure spikes just as described but not a single drop had leaked as several complained about in their Amazon reviews of this regulator.

In fact, if those who complained about oil leakage and gauges stuck above zero had read their instruction manual both would have been explained as perfectly natural for an oil filled gauge like this. Large changes in temp or altitude can cause minor oil leakage which is why a rubber plug is used. It relieves internal pressure and if altitude change is causing needle to be "stuck" they explain how to bleed the pressure.

From what I see I seriously doubt that paying 50% more (or higher) would have given me a better gauge.

(FWIW, simple water pressure regulators like this type are not exactly space age devices. Just simple spring pressure that holds back water until a set pressure is released.)

Old 11-25-2018, 01:09 AM   #10

I bought this exact regulator a month ago. I paid $2 more than this. Seems like a good regulator.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 07:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
An update

Mine arrived this morning. I opened the package and was pleasantly surprised. Everything I saw looked and felt like quality. I went over it carefully, removing inlet screen and examining everything I could see. Likewise for the outlet. Casting looks better than most with machine work nice and smooth. From what I could see of the spindle and valve it also looks quality.

As for the gauge, it's filled with oil to dampen pressure spikes just as described but not a single drop had leaked as several complained about in their Amazon reviews of this regulator.

In fact, if those who complained about oil leakage and gauges stuck above zero had read their instruction manual both would have been explained as perfectly natural for an oil filled gauge like this. Large changes in temp or altitude can cause minor oil leakage which is why a rubber plug is used. It relieves internal pressure and if altitude change is causing needle to be "stuck" they explain how to bleed the pressure.

From what I see I seriously doubt that paying 50% more (or higher) would have given me a better gauge.

(FWIW, simple water pressure regulators like this type are not exactly space age devices. Just simple spring pressure that holds back water until a set pressure is released.)
Good to Hear! Mine will allegedly arrive today.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:56 AM   #12

THANKS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Amazon is selling 20 units of this Water Pressure Regulator with gauge for $25 for a Black Friday "special"

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

BTW, they only have a max of 19 left as I just bought one.

From the exploded pictures it looks well made. Certainly better than a $4.95 inline regulator with no adjustment or gauge. One you "hope" is set for 50#

Just ordered one.

pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 11:42 AM   #13

What is the secret for making the gauge work again?

I'd like to try it on my flawed Valterra (I think I said it was a Camco above, sorry) adjustable regulator.

By the by...the regulator still works, but what good is it really when the gauge doesn't work?
Old 11-25-2018, 12:12 PM   #14

Quote:

I'd like to try it on my flawed Valterra (I think I said it was a Camco above, sorry) adjustable regulator.

By the by...the regulator still works, but what good is it really when the gauge doesn't work?
If the gauge is "stuck" above zero when not connected put a fingernail under the edge of the rubber plug and carefully bleed any pressure/vacuum that is causing the gauge to give this false reading. Best to do this when the gauge has the bubble at the top so minimal oil leakage occurs.

The part that makes the gauge work is a flattened tube inside that forms a semi-circle. As the tube is subjected to internal pressure or external vacuum it wants to straighten out. The end of the tube is linked by connector and gears to make the needle move.

If the gauge has been subjected to big altitude changes or large temp swings this can cause false readings. Internal pressure can bleed from the plug and the plug operates as a one-way valve so air can't get back in when the gauge is back at normal altitudes. Kind of like a bag of potato chips that was packaged at or near Sea Level and then shipped off to a town like Frisco, CO that is over 9,000 feet in altitude. Bags look like pillows.

BTW, the only thing the oil does is act as a damper for the mechanism. If some leaks and the bubble grows in size the gauge will still work. I've seen gauges like this that are only half filled and work just fine (AC service gauges are an example). Look weird but you get used to it.

Old 11-25-2018, 02:42 PM   #15

Gage broken

Quote:

Really simple--replace the gage, they are cheap. If you can operate an open end wrench, no problem.. Still having trouble, ask wife.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 03:24 PM   #16

Well, mine arrived today and, just like TitanMikes, no leakage as others have reported. Seems to be nice and solid. We will know in the spring!
Old 12-06-2018, 03:04 PM   #17

bad Gauge

Quote:

I'm on my third of fourth gauge, you can get replacements for under $5 at ant hardware chain. Oil leaked out of #1, since then the needles have fallen off after a season or so. Maybe I should find a better replacement, maybe next time.

2005 Forester 2901
2005 Scion XB
RacerRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:02 PM   #18
Trailer Park Supervisor

JohnD10, wanted to thank you for reminder to bring mine in from the garage, getting pretty cold out there. Noticed you don't have a "thanks" button to click on, weird. Did you disable it for being thanked too much? lol.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:43 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
JohnD10, wanted to thank you for reminder to bring mine in from the garage, getting pretty cold out there. Noticed you don't have a "thanks" button to click on, weird. Did you disable it for being thanked too much? lol.
The gauge I linked is filled with "Silicon Oil". This is the same oil that is used on gauges for "Oil Patch" equipment and is supposed to be good down to -40 degrees. Some cheap gauges might just be filled with Mineral Oil and when it freezes it can be like a stick of butter.

FWIW, it was 24 degrees last night but the bottle of water on the TT's kitchen counter has not frozen. Doubt my gauge that's stored inside the Slide compartment will either.

Old 12-06-2018, 06:29 PM   #20
Enjoying Life

If anyone still wants one it is still on sale .. $25.99, as of this time.

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, pressure, water