Old 06-27-2014, 07:17 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail2liv View Post
if you have used chemicals in the tank the sensors may be eaten up ......good luck.....
If the sensors get eaten up you got bigger problems since there would be water everywhere. They are metal buttons surrounded by rubber. They would fall out of the tank. Sulfuric Acid as a cleaner would do it for sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Horst Probe Install 044.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	507.4 KB
ID:	56509   Click image for larger version

Name:	probes550x254.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	56510  

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 01:20 PM   #12

we tried this with our camper and have flushed several times until the water is clean coming out of the hose ( we have the clear elbow at the black water end so we can check to see that it is in fact clear. and yet the sensors still say 3/4. we have tried the ice trick going down the road and other things and still the sensors say 3/4 full any other ideas and how to get them working again or where to get sensors that actually work would be great

Old 06-29-2014, 03:55 PM   #13
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValMelton View Post
we tried this with our camper and have flushed several times until the water is clean coming out of the hose ( we have the clear elbow at the black water end so we can check to see that it is in fact clear. and yet the sensors still say 3/4. we have tried the ice trick going down the road and other things and still the sensors say 3/4 full any other ideas and how to get them working again or where to get sensors that actually work would be great
So, you did try a 72 hour "cook" with RV-Digest-It?
We talking about black tank or gray?

Herk

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 06-29-2014, 04:14 PM   #14

have not tried the cook method, never heard of it, but have thought of getting the rid-x type rv black tank cleaner and possibly replace the sensors. we have only sued the camper about 6 times, it was brand new last summer, and have had the sensor problem since the first use
Old 06-29-2014, 04:16 PM   #15

we have not tried any chemicals except for the chemicals that are usually added. we have used hoses and the 360 spinning water cleaner, and putting a bag of ice in clean water and towing the camper down the road and dumping it at a dumping station. each time we dump it we dump and run water thru until the water comes out of the hose at the dump station clean and still the sensors show full
Old 06-29-2014, 04:44 PM   #16
Site Team - Lou

Well, to be honest you only have to use the camper once with poor black tank habits (insufficient water is the biggie) to totally screw your indicator probes.

I was referring to using a septic type cleaner (instead of a holding tank de-stinker). Septic type cleaners (Rv-Digest-It by Unique or RID-X) require a full tank and a minimum of 72 hours to work (cook). I use a week when winterizing (both tanks and 1/2 quart of RV-Digest-It in each).

http://uniquemm.com/products/rv-dige...tank-treatment

They work by enzyme and a specific type of bacteria action to break down solids and caked on (well) crap.

Prevention is always better. ONCE you have clean tanks, 1 cap full of Calgon Water SOFTENER and a cap full of laundry detergent (and a few gallons of water) after EVERY dump/flush.

A more permanent fix is to replace your OEM probes with Horst Probes.
I now recommend using black tank style probes in the Gray tank too as I got hair fouling in my gray tank using the spiral.

Horst tank Probe Installation

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 06-29-2014, 05:20 PM   #17

Herk, I found your Horst tank Probe Installation thread to most interesting, especially since we have the same unit. I now realize why the tanks register the way they do, and why the fresh water tank shoots water back out the intake when I'm filling it. Also know what to expect when I remove a couple of the underpanels this fall to run some wire. Thanks for the info !!!

2011 Flagstaff 8526RLWS 5th Wheel
2011 Ford F250 4X4 Crewcab Superduty 6.7L Diesel
B&W 3300 Hitch for Ford 5th Wheel Prep package
Windywest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 06:04 PM   #18
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windywest View Post
Herk, I found your Horst tank Probe Installation thread to most interesting, especially since we have the same unit. I now realize why the tanks register the way they do, and why the fresh water tank shoots water back out the intake when I'm filling it. Also know what to expect when I remove a couple of the underpanels this fall to run some wire. Thanks for the info !!!
Most of my photos are from my rig. So if there is anything you need: email me through the site.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 06-29-2014, 07:52 PM   #19

Thought I had a clean tank as water was mostly clear when doing factory backwash (clear elbow on discharge allows you to monitor this). I let the RV Digest-It "cook" for almost a week with full tank of clean water. What came out was as black as a regular dump. Now letting the grey tank "cook" for a few days.

2012 Surveyor SV-304
No TV (seasonal site)

Tags
black, tank