Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2014, 11:05 AM   #1

black/gray tank sensors

I had my tanks pumped out by johhny on the spot since the RV can't be moved (semi permanent location). After the pumpout, the tanks are still reading
3/4-full. How do I get them to reset to empty, or are they "crapped" up with tp?
devilonmyback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:09 AM   #2

I'd say that's a good bet, did you or they hose anything down the tanks to keep some fresh water flowing to try and get everything loose? It might have helped a little but, regardless regular cleaning of the tank is something good to do.

I don't keep my trailer anywhere permanently, so it's easier where I can mix a solution up and let it slosh around on the way to the campground. For the permanent or semi-permanent it's a tougher thing to do.

If you do move the trailer home at the end of the season, it might be a good idea to start a cleaning routine of the tanks prior to doing that. By cleaning, I mean a rinse and use of chemicals to help clean the tank too.

Sounds like it's just as you suspected though.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:13 AM   #3

Your second query is the correct one. You cannot reset to empty. My solution is to do several tank flushes and then you will have clean tanks and sensors. Others have used ice cubes, changed the sensors to a different brand and other cleaning methods.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:18 AM   #4

I wasn't available when they did the pump out, so they did it without me. How am I to know what the true levels are going forward, since I do not have the ability to flush system with fresh water repeatedly to dislodge any ugliness? The only idea I have is to just have them come monthly while we are using the rv just to be on the safe side.
devilonmyback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:44 AM   #5

If you have a garden hose at your site try spraying water in your toilet with the flapper open.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:02 PM   #6

Use one of these to clean and flush wall of black tank when they come to empty.....

Flexible Tank Wand - Valterra A01-0187VP - Sewer Flushing - Camping World
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:35 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Static campers have the worst problems with sensors because without the agitation of movement, keeping the walls and floor of the tank clean is a challenge.

You must install turboflushers (ESPECIALLY) if you use a pump out service. The service only sucks out the liquid from the tank and can easily leave solids behind. Eventually you will need a clean-out service (NOT a pump out service - very expensive) or a tank replacement (even more expensive).

So, you need to treat your holding tanks like a septic tank more than a holding tank. Septic tanks use bacteria and enzymes to "digest" the solids in your tank and turn it into a liquid that will flush out.

Use a bacterial treatment like RV-Digest-It by Unique RV Digest-It Holding Tank Treatment or Rid-X RID-X® Tank Septic System Treatment Products for Septic Maintenance - Official Site to maintain your tanks. You will need to allow the stuff to work for 72 hours to eat the scum off your walls (causing your bad readings - NOT TP!) and to soften your "Tower of Doom" under the toilet drop pipe.

Worst case you will need to replace the OEM "button" probes with Horst probes to eliminate false readings.

Horst Mircacle Probes - Get accurate reading on your RV's holding tanks

My install here: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ion-16089.html

If you go this route, I suggest BLACK tank probes in BOTH the black and gray tanks. I had issues with long hair from the shower fouling the spiral coil on the gray tank probes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Horst Probe Install 008.jpg
Views:	958
Size:	414.2 KB
ID:	55672   Click image for larger version

Name:	Horst Probe Install 035.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	604.0 KB
ID:	55673   Click image for larger version

Name:	Horst Probe Install 044.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	507.4 KB
ID:	55674   Click image for larger version

Name:	probes550x254.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	55675   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2558.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	238.3 KB
ID:	55676  

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 10:06 AM   #8

Herk - after reading several of your posts about RV Digest-It by Unique, I ordered some in and - "HOLY CRAP" amazed at what came out!!! Black tank is now showing empty! Question - do you use this on your grey tank as well? Just dumped the grey tank and panel is showing "1/3" while black is now on "E". Thanks for the great advice!
Old 06-27-2014, 02:07 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou

I do. Works just as well on soap and oils
Old 06-27-2014, 04:43 PM   #10

If you want bugs that eat.....a gallon of old milk that is going bad and a pack or two of yeast.......depending on size of tank.....fill the tank as full as possible and give it time to work some.....along with a ride down the road if possible....let it sit awhile
the stuff has to hatch out and eat so longer is better plus with tank being close to full should help soften some of the problems......when you have a full hookup flush it out several times and then if things are working, use a cap full of cheap laundry detergent and a cap full of water softener.....to keep tank sides slick and clean......if you have used chemicals in the tank the sensors may be eaten up ......good luck.....

2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Gas 3.73
2013 Flagstaff 8524 RLWS
1978 Cape Dory Ketch
sail2liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:17 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail2liv View Post
if you have used chemicals in the tank the sensors may be eaten up ......good luck.....
If the sensors get eaten up you got bigger problems since there would be water everywhere. They are metal buttons surrounded by rubber. They would fall out of the tank. Sulfuric Acid as a cleaner would do it for sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Horst Probe Install 044.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	507.4 KB
ID:	56509   Click image for larger version

Name:	probes550x254.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	56510  
Old 06-29-2014, 12:20 PM   #12

we tried this with our camper and have flushed several times until the water is clean coming out of the hose ( we have the clear elbow at the black water end so we can check to see that it is in fact clear. and yet the sensors still say 3/4. we have tried the ice trick going down the road and other things and still the sensors say 3/4 full any other ideas and how to get them working again or where to get sensors that actually work would be great
ValMelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 02:55 PM   #13
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValMelton View Post
we tried this with our camper and have flushed several times until the water is clean coming out of the hose ( we have the clear elbow at the black water end so we can check to see that it is in fact clear. and yet the sensors still say 3/4. we have tried the ice trick going down the road and other things and still the sensors say 3/4 full any other ideas and how to get them working again or where to get sensors that actually work would be great
So, you did try a 72 hour "cook" with RV-Digest-It?
We talking about black tank or gray?

Herk
Old 06-29-2014, 03:14 PM   #14

have not tried the cook method, never heard of it, but have thought of getting the rid-x type rv black tank cleaner and possibly replace the sensors. we have only sued the camper about 6 times, it was brand new last summer, and have had the sensor problem since the first use
Old 06-29-2014, 03:16 PM   #15

we have not tried any chemicals except for the chemicals that are usually added. we have used hoses and the 360 spinning water cleaner, and putting a bag of ice in clean water and towing the camper down the road and dumping it at a dumping station. each time we dump it we dump and run water thru until the water comes out of the hose at the dump station clean and still the sensors show full
Old 06-29-2014, 03:44 PM   #16
Site Team - Lou

Well, to be honest you only have to use the camper once with poor black tank habits (insufficient water is the biggie) to totally screw your indicator probes.

I was referring to using a septic type cleaner (instead of a holding tank de-stinker). Septic type cleaners (Rv-Digest-It by Unique or RID-X) require a full tank and a minimum of 72 hours to work (cook). I use a week when winterizing (both tanks and 1/2 quart of RV-Digest-It in each).

http://uniquemm.com/products/rv-dige...tank-treatment

They work by enzyme and a specific type of bacteria action to break down solids and caked on (well) crap.

Prevention is always better. ONCE you have clean tanks, 1 cap full of Calgon Water SOFTENER and a cap full of laundry detergent (and a few gallons of water) after EVERY dump/flush.

A more permanent fix is to replace your OEM probes with Horst Probes.
I now recommend using black tank style probes in the Gray tank too as I got hair fouling in my gray tank using the spiral.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ion-16089.html
Old 06-29-2014, 04:20 PM   #17

Herk, I found your Horst tank Probe Installation thread to most interesting, especially since we have the same unit. I now realize why the tanks register the way they do, and why the fresh water tank shoots water back out the intake when I'm filling it. Also know what to expect when I remove a couple of the underpanels this fall to run some wire. Thanks for the info !!!

2011 Flagstaff 8526RLWS 5th Wheel
2011 Ford F250 4X4 Crewcab Superduty 6.7L Diesel
B&W 3300 Hitch for Ford 5th Wheel Prep package
Windywest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 05:04 PM   #18
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windywest View Post
Herk, I found your Horst tank Probe Installation thread to most interesting, especially since we have the same unit. I now realize why the tanks register the way they do, and why the fresh water tank shoots water back out the intake when I'm filling it. Also know what to expect when I remove a couple of the underpanels this fall to run some wire. Thanks for the info !!!
Most of my photos are from my rig. So if there is anything you need: email me through the site.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:52 PM   #19

Thought I had a clean tank as water was mostly clear when doing factory backwash (clear elbow on discharge allows you to monitor this). I let the RV Digest-It "cook" for almost a week with full tank of clean water. What came out was as black as a regular dump. Now letting the grey tank "cook" for a few days.

2012 Surveyor SV-304
No TV (seasonal site)

Tags
black, tank