Old 05-22-2012, 10:01 AM   #1
Happy Camper

Black/Grey tank drain????

Didnt relize it when we took delivery of our unit, but after dumping a few times I find my set up very odd. In order for me to dump my gray water tank I MUST dump the black. The black tanks drops straight down to the main dump valve, the grey valve is above this as it should be. I only have the two valve, the main which is also the black and the gray valve. So in order to dump my gray tank I MUST drain the black. Problem with this is, some state parks we camp at do not have sewer hook ups, so I bring along my blue tote to drain the gray tank (I have a wife and teenage daughter so we go through a lot of water for showers lol) so now with the new 5th wheel I cannot dump my gray because of the black water. I really do not want to dump the black water into my blue tote. Has anyone seen this kind of set up before? The unit is a 2012 coachman chaparral open trail 26rls

deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:19 AM   #2

Hmmmm....never heard of that. Both of my trailers have 2 separate valves that you can open. I'm sure someone here can help.

1999 Dodge Durango (Retired TT)
2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab 4x4
wagon52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:33 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerslayer
Didnt relize it when we took delivery of our unit, but after dumping a few times I find my set up very odd. In order for me to dump my gray water tank I MUST dump the black. The black tanks drops straight down to the main dump valve, the grey valve is above this as it should be. I only have the two valve, the main which is also the black and the gray valve. So in order to dump my gray tank I MUST drain the black. Problem with this is, some state parks we camp at do not have sewer hook ups, so I bring along my blue tote to drain the gray tank (I have a wife and teenage daughter so we go through a lot of water for showers lol) so now with the new 5th wheel I cannot dump my gray because of the black water. I really do not want to dump the black water into my blue tote. Has anyone seen this kind of set up before? The unit is a 2012 coachman chaparral open trail 26rls
I've read your post twice and cannot grasp what your trying to say.
Pics?
Old 05-22-2012, 10:54 AM   #4

Ya, i would need to see pics here

Ruben Zamora
2007 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Dmax/Allison, 4" Exhaust-no cat-no muffler
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB
RubenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:20 AM   #5
Happy Camper

Unfortunatly I dont have pics right now, and I have been trying to find a pic of it on the internet but have been unsuccessfull. I have a 30 gallon black tank with the large diameter pipe that comes out of the tanks and goes directly to the lowest valve which is at the end of the pipe where I hook up my flexible sewer line when I camp. The greay tank ties into this pipe above that with its own valve. I only have two valves, the main valve at the lowest point and the one above it for the grey, I know it sounds crazy!
Old 05-23-2012, 10:29 AM   #6
Happy Camper

Well I called coachman and talked with a service guy who ran my vin#, checked into it and called me back rather quickly. Said the factory plumbed my tanks wrong and I should be able to dump each tank independantly of each other (simply so I can dump my gray water into a blue tote when at a state park for long weekends). Gave me a name and number, called the dealer and now I am waiting a call back from them Hope to have an awnser by today!
Old 05-23-2012, 10:54 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I got what your saying now!

Grey tank valve outlet is plumbed BEHIND black valve.

So you have to dump black in order to dump grey!
Otherwise if grey was dumped it would fill black.

Correct?
Old 05-23-2012, 11:09 AM   #8
Happy Camper

Pretty close, it wont back fill into the black tank due to a 45 degree pipe, but its piped behing the black valve. So Say I ma camping at a state park with no sewer, my gray tank fills up due to usage on sat and I need to dump my grey water into my 25 gallon blue tote I cannot do that because that would mean dumping my black into the blue tote then my gray.....make sense?
Old 05-23-2012, 11:13 AM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

That it does!
I wonder how many units like this went out before this was caught?

Hope that sub par idiot that doesn't correctly know how plumbing works still works there?
Old 05-23-2012, 11:35 AM   #10
Happy Camper

Yeah i dont know, I just got off the phone with the service manager at the dealer, told me one other place to look at (which I allready know its not there) and call him back, if its not there than I will take it back to them next week after out trip this weekend and they will see what they need to do to fix it. Just aggrevating that I have to take it back to the dealer, again, for something stupid! I most likely wont get compensated for this problem since its not the dealers fault, but I do want to try and get some type of flush installed on the tank pipes so I can back fill the tanks!