Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2010, 09:24 AM   #121
Jan Goldfield

The high caliber of posts in this forum is representative of the intelligence and character of the members of FRF.

2009 Cherokee Grey Wolf 28BH
2009 Ford 150
pondlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:34 AM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Dan original question that started this thread.
"Black holding tank will not drain"

Now we are talking about drunk fish?
We've come a long way.
I've just been watching to see where this thing goes next. I'm glad Dan got his answer. Now we will just have fun with it.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:21 AM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondlady View Post
Barley bales are a tried and true algae deterrent. I have no idea about the ingredients in beer. Tis a puzzlement.
My swimming pool has algae. Do I just pour in a keg go swimming?
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:47 AM   #124
Jan Goldfield

Sure. Why not. Drain the entire pool, fill with beer and have fun. Or drain and fill with jello and have more fun.

2009 Ford 150
Old 09-02-2010, 11:21 AM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
My swimming pool has algae. Do I just pour in a keg go swimming?
Tisk Tisk! You know you're not supposed to drink that much before swimming... oh wait... you mean pour into the pool...nevermind.
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:54 PM   #126
bmg

Tomorrow were leaving for home (about 70 miles) and thought I'd try again to get the black tank indicator to work properly. So far I've tried dishwashing soap, which did clean a lot of black gunk out of the tank but the indicator still didn't work. Also put in a couple of bags of ice on another trip, but to no avail.

Did order some Digest It and plan to put that in the tank on the return home trip. Based on all the advice posted on this forum, maybe I should try the Digest It, Calgon, dishwasher soap and ice all at once. I could throw in a King Cobra and a mongoose for a little action. In a fight always bet on the mongoose, I saw one take down the cobra on a nature show.

Kidding aside, any ideas on the best way to use the Digest It?
bmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:10 PM   #127

Use as the instructions tell you - they tell you how much to use for different situations.

Number of nights camped in 2012 65
Number of nights camped in 2013 82
Number of nights camped in 2014 105!
Number of nights camped in 2015 81
Emptypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:13 AM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmg View Post
Tomorrow were leaving for home (about 70 miles) and thought I'd try again to get the black tank indicator to work properly. So far I've tried dishwashing soap, which did clean a lot of black gunk out of the tank but the indicator still didn't work. Also put in a couple of bags of ice on another trip, but to no avail.

Did order some Digest It and plan to put that in the tank on the return home trip. Based on all the advice posted on this forum, maybe I should try the Digest It, Calgon, dishwasher soap and ice all at once. I could throw in a King Cobra and a mongoose for a little action. In a fight always bet on the mongoose, I saw one take down the cobra on a nature show.

Kidding aside, any ideas on the best way to use the Digest It?
I used the entire bottle in my situation, Directions are on the bottle for sensor cleaning, etc.

I also found RV Digest-it at my local ace hardware store near the draino selection.
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:22 AM   #129
bmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielflading View Post
I used the entire bottle in my situation, Directions are on the bottle for sensor cleaning, etc.

I also found RV Digest-it at my local ace hardware store near the draino selection.
Your situation was rather unique. We're just trying to get the sensors to work. We followed the instructions on the bottle. The first time you use double the amount of Digest It with a gallon of water. After that you cut back to half the amount. They maintain that after using 2 or 3 times the sensors should magically work. We'll see.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:58 AM   #130

Quote:
Your situation was rather unique. We're just trying to get the sensors to work. We followed the instructions on the bottle. The first time you use double the amount of Digest It with a gallon of water. After that you cut back to half the amount. They maintain that after using 2 or 3 times the sensors should magically work. We'll see.

I plan on using the RV Digest-it for regular treatments of the tank, I have seen first hand that this stuff works and works well.
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:12 AM   #131
bmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielflading View Post
I plan on using the RV Digest-it for regular treatments of the tank, I have seen first hand that this stuff works and works well.
Same here, we needed a new supply of treatment, so we bought 3 bottles from Unique. The local CW didn't carry it and by ordering several bottles the shipping wasn't too bad.

Unique RV Digest-It Unique Distributing
Old 09-07-2010, 10:55 AM   #132

has anyone mixed calgon water softener with the normal RV Toilet chemicals?

I happened to do this yesterday before putting it in storage and the reaction created a large mass of jelly-like, white, opaque goo. I flushed with plenty of water... but have a feeling I will have to fill it back up and drive it around to clean that out of the tank.

2008 Chevy CCab 5.3L 4WD Z71
2008 FR Surveyor 291
Champion Genset
Slpybear, Mrs Slpybear, Three Cubs
slpybeartx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:45 AM   #133
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by slpybeartx View Post
has anyone mixed calgon water softener with the normal RV Toilet chemicals?

I happened to do this yesterday before putting it in storage and the reaction created a large mass of jelly-like, white, opaque goo. I flushed with plenty of water... but have a feeling I will have to fill it back up and drive it around to clean that out of the tank.
What kinda of other chemicals are you putting in your holding tank ??

I use Calgon with Thetford Campi-Chem deodorizer with no problems.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:43 PM   #134

sensors not working

Quote:
any ideas on the best way to use the Digest It?
If you have dried up drud on the sensors, you need to have the level of liquid in the tank over the sensor so that the liquid (and what ever you add to it) can dissolve the dried up crud. The tank could be squeeky clean on the bottom and still have dried crud adhering to the walls.

Then again the sensor could be bad.

I picked up one of those spray things that you put down from the top. Frankly I think I could make my own just as easily - a valve at the hose end - a length of PVC with a cap glued on the end and some holes drilled into the cap. I was hoping for some swiveling spinning high pressure sort of end on it.
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:39 PM   #135
bmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Susan View Post
If you have dried up drud on the sensors, you need to have the level of liquid in the tank over the sensor so that the liquid (and what ever you add to it) can dissolve the dried up crud. The tank could be squeeky clean on the bottom and still have dried crud adhering to the walls.

Then again the sensor could be bad.

I picked up one of those spray things that you put down from the top. Frankly I think I could make my own just as easily - a valve at the hose end - a length of PVC with a cap glued on the end and some holes drilled into the cap. I was hoping for some swiveling spinning high pressure sort of end on it.
Thanks for the tip. We just drove about 70 miles and followed the instructions on the bottle for first time use. We're leaving Thursday for an 11 trip where we'll be stationary for most of the time. That will give me time to fill and empty the tank 3 or 4 times before heading home. Digest It says that using their product and filling and emptying this much should solve the problem. If it doesn't, I'll probably fill the tank on the return trip with a heavier solution. After that I'll replace the damn sensors. Hopefully we won't have to go that far.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:23 PM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
What kinda of other chemicals are you putting in your holding tank ??

I use Calgon with Thetford Campi-Chem deodorizer with no problems.
One capful of calgon water softner mixed with two ounces of TST Orange Power in about 1 gallon of water in the toilet.

2008 Chevy CCab 5.3L 4WD Z71
2008 FR Surveyor 291
Champion Genset
Slpybear, Mrs Slpybear, Three Cubs
slpybeartx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:27 PM   #137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by slpybeartx View Post
One capful of calgon water softner mixed with two ounces of TST Orange Power in about 1 gallon of water in the toilet.
Hmmm, interesting. TST Orange Power claims it breaks down waste and toilet paper, where the stuff I use (Thetford Campa-Chem) is only a deodorizer. Since Camping World also claims that TST "lubricates both your black and grey water lines", I believe I would leave Calgon out of the tank. Sounds like these 2 products are not compatible.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:29 PM   #138
Moderator Emeritus

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondlady View Post
It is also known that beer will clear up pea soup colored water in a water garden. But it really is a waste of good beer, so if you pour beer in your pond, use Milwaukee's Best. Or what we used to call welfare beer. 10 cents a can.
Would that include the now supposedly trendy PBR?

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:36 PM   #139
Jan Goldfield

PBR? Peanut Butter and R?
Oh, Pabst Blue Ribbon.....I just got it. When I was a youngster 10 cent beer was Old Milwaukee. Pabst was not so cheap. i do remember getting caught drinking on the MSU campus and I was not yet 21. Uh oh.

2009 Ford 150