Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2015, 06:09 PM   #1

Black pipe drip-yuck!

I am 1,200 miles from home and heading further and my black pipe apparently sits on the axle and has developed a drip that smells nasty.

It appears the pipe has been rubbed in one spot and is dripping directly onto the axle and then down. The drip is from the pipe, not a joint. I can lift the pipe to get about 1 inch clearance but I am not sure how to fix.

I am thinking of some wrap that will seal when dry, I just don't know of a product like that. Or maybe some plumbing epoxy?

Suggestions will be very appreciated.

Thanks.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 06:19 PM   #2

Dry it real good and try some Gorilla tape for a qwik fix.If you can get to it easily and have the tools to do it,saw where it is cracked and glue a coupling in place.Try some pipe strap to attach the pipe up to the frame or where ever you can to get it up off the axle.Not too hard of a job.
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 06:21 PM   #3

once it's empty and clean, cut out about a inch or so of the pipe and reattach with a coupler. Definately raise to prevent further damage.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:01 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. I may be able to get some tape on it for a temporary fix. I can't see any place close to put a hanger and it seems like it will be a pain to cut out a section to replace, especially while on the road. I will be traveling until October so I will try some quick fixes and hopefully that will last until I get home.

Thanks
Old 07-29-2015, 05:50 AM   #5

You could use a flexible pipe coupling which are available at hardware stores and big box home improvement stores. Here is a link for an example:

Shop AMERICAN VALVE 4-in x 4-in Dia Flexible PVC Coupling Fittings at Lowes.com

They come is many sizes. You still need to cut and spread the pipe but, no glue is required.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:41 PM   #6

So today we arrived at Winstar RV Resort in Thackerville, Ok. The park has nice flat concrete slabs. I crawled under the camper and sure enough the black pipe is about 1 inch off the axle and I found a pin hole in the pipe. I guess the angle of yesterday's site pushed the axle higher.
Anyway, I took multiple layers of gorilla tape and wrapped the pipe about 5 inches on either side of the pinhole. I guess I'll know in the morning if that "fix" worked. When I get home I will actually repair the pipe.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Ps. Really nice park and the first night is free and then $22 after that. I guess they want you save your money for gambling. And their pool felt great after a day of driving.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:09 PM   #7

So we now know that gorilla tape sticks really well, is difficult to remove and does not stop drips. Trying RV Goop now. Hopefully I will see a Home Depot or Lowes in the next day or so to do this repair halfway right.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:27 PM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Pin hole repair

Fold about 2" of the Gorilla tape over several times (4) place the folded tape over the pin hole along with a stainless steel 4" adjustable clamp from Lowes directly over the pin hole covering the folded tape. Snug the clamp
until the drip stops.

Has worked for me many times in the Navy for emergency!

Good luck
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:43 PM   #9

You can also buy some pipe "patch" material. Comes in a small bag (about the size of sunflower seeds). Its fiberglass mesh sheets (sometimes just a roll of it). It is completely saturated with the resin, and is air activated. It comes with rubber gloves and everything. you simply put on the gloves, and then wrap the patch around the pipe. It will harden in a few hours and will never leak again. That wont account for whatever the rubbing is, but it is essentially a permanent fix. I used it a few years ago on my koi pond.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:11 PM   #10

Call ahead to your destination campground. See if they have an RV repairman "in house" or "on call". Maybe a repairman can permanently raise the pipe. We drove over a hundred miles with our tire cover/well(?the thing over the TT tires). Duct taped to our fiver - bracket fell off leaving it flapping in the wind. Brown TT, yellow duct tape. Lol. RV Repairman at destination CG fixed it. We were in Florida starting a run to the West Coast and didn't want to go further without getting it fixed. Good Luck.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:30 PM   #11

There is a Home Depot only a few miles away in Gainsville, Tx.
Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 02:23 PM   #12

I crawled underneath I was able to find a place in the framework to run a large heavy duty cable tie through to raise the pipe up.

I will look for the pipe repair kit and if not I will try the gorilla tape with hose clamp.

I appreciate the extra heads helping me solve this.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:49 PM   #13

Sorry the tape didn't work for you.I have stopped a drip just like yours on our 5 er.It was actually on a 90 on the dump line.
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 04:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveandSue View Post
Sorry the tape didn't work for you.I have stopped a drip just like yours on our 5 er.It was actually on a 90 on the dump line.
No worries. Because the pipe is slightly dented in from axle I don't think the tape is making enough contact with the actual leak area. Otherwise I think it would have been great. Thanks.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:07 PM   #15
Gold Miner At Heart

You can stop into a auto parts store and get some bondo with the tiger hair fibers. And the Harding agent in a tube. Make sure pipe is empty and dry. Put some bondo on a piece of cardboard and squeeze a small bead of Harding agent across. Mix quickly and well with a stick. Take rubber gloves and smear on the pipe and cover around hole two or three inches and about a half inch thick. Let setup until hard. I've done this on plastic buckets that squirrels have chewed holes in. Last out in weather for years. Good luck.

Tags
black