Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2015, 11:29 AM   #1

Black tank clog !!!!!!!!!!!

Used another kind of TP and it clogged our black tank. The TP from wally world said RV safe . It felt more like paper than the normal stuff we have been using. Well my toilet started to bubble when flushed. I have been loading the tank with the little bags of breakdown product. It still seems to be clogged with a lot of the paper TP. My unit is an 832ikbs. We love it and want to fix it ASAP. Any thoughts would be very very welcome. My plans tonight are to fish out all the paper I can and go from there. Any thoughts ? Thanks. Chris.
Bluesman731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:47 AM   #2

Had that happened once.Called the septic truck and they sucked every thing out.Never had a issue
Cost was fair 40 bucks
Old 12-14-2015, 11:54 AM   #3

We also had a similar issue this fall. Went to drain tanks and black would not drain. It was a travel day, and I didn't have time to spare so we hit the road, travelling about 8 hours. Next morning I tried dumping the tank and it went no problem. Just needed some agitation from driving to get things moving again.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman731 View Post
Used another kind of TP and it clogged our black tank. The TP from wally world said RV safe . It felt more like paper than the normal stuff we have been using. Well my toilet started to bubble when flushed. I have been loading the tank with the little bags of breakdown product. It still seems to be clogged with a lot of the paper TP. My unit is an 832ikbs. We love it and want to fix it ASAP. Any thoughts would be very very welcome. My plans tonight are to fish out all the paper I can and go from there. Any thoughts ? Thanks. Chris.

We have used Charmin 2-ply household TP for years with no issues whatsoever.

My guess is you are using a lot of TP and not a lot of water. Water is your friend (your BEST friend in a black tank )

Remember, your black tank is a HOLDING tank not a septic tank so using those "little packages" will not help.

Use the GEO method: Oemy's Web Site - Tech Tips

Does you unit have a black tank rinse/flush? If not, get one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Camco-39062-Fl...ack+tank+flush

Or a more permanent solution is this:
http://www.amazon.com/Camco-40126-To...ack+tank+flush
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 12:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Are you sure that your discharge Pipe/Hose is clear? How long is your sewer hose? Are you using LOTS of Water Every time you Flush? Are you keeping the Discharge Vale CLOSED until your Black Tank is 3/4+ Full? Paper gets a LOT of Bad Raps when it is a (Innocent Bystander)! Youroo!! Water is your Friend!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 12:12 PM   #6
Site Team

I've used one of these with pretty good results.

Amazon.com: Valterra A01-0187VP Flexible Tank Wand: Automotive

This might work as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-40074-Flexible-Swivel-Shutoff/dp/B0006IX7YC
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 12:18 PM   #7

Bluesman,in some cases of Plumbing and other things it may Help to also include Flagstaff along with your (832IKBS) it Helps! Thanks Youroo!! PS Are you set up for the Winter in Allen,TX? Hooking up and driving around might Not be much Fun!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 12:22 PM   #8

The problem may not actually be the TP but more so your dumping technique.
I am assuming your black is full now, this could get messy.
My thought is all the TP has now piled up against the gate valve and the head pressure from the liquid has packed it tight which is now acting as a plug.
I suppose a slim but nil chance may be the vent stack is blocked and a vacuum has been created.
This would be the easiest way to fix, turn the water supply off, ensure the toilet flap is left open and then open your dump valve. This is a shot in the dark but myself, I like to try everything before I get dirty.
Edited:I just noticed post 3- Lenny that might be the easiest.
The only way I can think of is to purchase a 90 with the garden hose connection, buy that rv wand. With the 90 and sewer hose attached, attach a garden hose to the wand, put wand through the Hole on the 90, turn the water on for the wand and start poking/jamming the wand at the valve. This is where the blockage would be.
If this does work, remove the wand and block the hole quickly.
Depending on where the black valve actually is this may be a problem as the wand might not be lying enough. Check the location of the valve first, no sense buying something that won't work.
I'm just sitting here doing nothing really, well reading the posts. Just thought I'd try help somewhat.
One thing tho, do you empty the black when it's less than half full or so. This good be the problem as there isn't enough pressure/flow to remove all the TP which slowly piles up against the gate valve until.........

Anyway had fun writing this novel, lol. Hopefully you get this resolved, soon.
Rupkin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 01:00 PM   #9

I know the cure, but will not say it. Have before & the flamers came out of the woodwork.
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 01:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by -lenny- View Post
We also had a similar issue this fall. Went to drain tanks and black would not drain. It was a travel day, and I didn't have time to spare so we hit the road, travelling about 8 hours. Next morning I tried dumping the tank and it went no problem. Just needed some agitation from driving to get things moving again.
Same thing happens to me as well as gthe fact it was Thanksgiving and colder. I don't think the colder temperatures help in breaking down the TP either.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 01:59 PM   #11
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
???I wanna know!

Papa, can you PM me with your idea? I am somewhat new, and I like to hear ideas to try, if I get into that situation!

Thanks, Paul
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 02:12 PM   #12

Here's another suggestion we use to help clean the holding tank. Drop an entire bag of ice cubes into the toilet and flush. Drive on to your next stop then empty. Works like a mini scrub.
Grums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 02:17 PM   #13

reverse flush valve...

http://www.amazon.com/Valterra-F02-4...rra+flush+king

you tube here
https://youtu.be/oi8HUknP46Y

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 02:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Before you get all dirty I'd consider one other thing. You might not have a clog. RV toilets bubble up when they're full or in some cases think they're full. The flush headed down has to displace the air between the toilet and the top of the tank so it comes up as a big bubble. When I say the tank thinks it's full it's because toilet paper and stuff piles up under the drain until it finally blocks it. The waste to water balance is screwed up. Try pouring water down the toilet and if needed get a rod of some sort (I use the awning pull down rod) and stick it down thru the toilet and push the pile toward the tank drain (actually just any way away from under the toilet drain). Personally I use normal TP, that camping TP is like newspaper but designed to dissolve and it is uncomfortable and isn't going to dissolve before I leave a camp site anyhow.
milvet33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 02:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie1138 View Post
Papa, can you PM me with your idea? I am somewhat new, and I like to hear ideas to try, if I get into that situation!

Thanks, Paul
Sure Paul
We do not put T/P in the black tank. NO clogs. Ever!
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 02:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by milvet33 View Post
Before you get all dirty I'd consider one other thing. You might not have a clog. RV toilets bubble up when they're full or in some cases think they're full. The flush headed down has to displace the air between the toilet and the top of the tank so it comes up as a big bubble. When I say the tank thinks it's full it's because toilet paper and stuff piles up under the drain until it finally blocks it. The waste to water balance is screwed up. Try pouring water down the toilet and if needed get a rod of some sort (I use the awning pull down rod) and stick it down thru the toilet and push the pile toward the tank drain (actually just any way away from under the toilet drain). Personally I use normal TP, that camping TP is like newspaper but designed to dissolve and it is uncomfortable and isn't going to dissolve before I leave a camp site anyhow.
This happened to us for the first time on a long trip. I wondered how our 40 gallon black tank got full so quickly with 2 people. I used the method described above.

I don't think TP dissolves in your black tank. Other posters are right - lots of water is good! Think of this as a learning experience! Best of luck!
Honda ST1100
BMW R1100R
Linnemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 02:29 PM   #17

As others have said before...maybe your not using enough water.
Water is a black tanks best friend.
Chemicals sold by rv centers is useless...puire waste of money.
As for breaking the clog...I would try driving around a bit, possibly the sloshing motion will break it, if not, a hose wand from inside with the valve gate open outside ?
Good luck !
***3rd GENERATION EGG FARMER***
***WHO MADE YOUR EGGS TODAY ?
Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 02:39 PM   #18

Poop chute, aka black tank valve

We use household TP, add the water softner and commercial tank product. We dump at home (farm). The trip home sloshes and mixes everything. TP looks like little pieces of fuzz. Flush and drain two or three more times till clear, fill tank and drive some more and dump. Never store with less than 2/3full. Drain and prep fr next trip on day of departure. Two gal water, chemicals.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 02:44 PM   #19

There are two different designs of tools for back flushing the black tank. One, if you have a travel trailer, where the dump valve goes straight into the tank, shoots a stream of water into the tank from the outside, the other design, for motor homes or 5th wheels, has a gate that you close, then back fill the tank. This may help clear your TP blockage. I've carried one for years, I had a similar backup and a fellow camper loaned me his. It works wonders.

As to toilet paper, I recommend Angel Soft, I did a quart jar dissolving test, and it seemed to work the best.

Good Luck
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 02:45 PM   #20

This may not sound nice, but we haven't put paper down the toilet in over ten years (twenty as FT). Keep a small covered trash can by the toilet and put all paper in there (obviously have a plastic bag in there!). No odor and no problem.

Tags
black, black tank, tank