Old 04-21-2019, 02:08 PM   #1

Black Tank Drain Hose Help

My wife and I are new to RVing and I would like to get a good grasp on what you experienced RV people think is a good tough black water hose. How long should it be? I like the idea of the clear plastic fittings so you can see what's going on. I have seen a ramp type of hose holder advertised that you spread out and it tapers down and holds the drain hose. Is this worth having? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated since I have never done this before and I sure don't want to make any mistakes when it comes time to dump the tank.
Thanks,
Bill

bill18163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 02:29 PM   #2

Black Tank Drain Hose Help

I have 3 or 4 hoses, but the only one I use is my Rhino. I have a clear fitting on the dump end so I can tell whatís going on. I think my hose is 20 ft I have an extension, but I have never needed it.

I do not have a ramp, but I have thought about buying one. The only reason I didnít was because of the price for $2 worth of plastic. You only need it if you are camping with full hook ups. Itís required in some CGs if you leave the hose connected.

Welcome from Arkansas.

Old 04-21-2019, 02:30 PM   #3

I use Rhino Hose, a fifteen foot and a ten foot
spock123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 02:35 PM   #4

Welcome!

I got a RhinoFlex kit that had two 10 foot sections, caps and a white translucent elbow for the ground connection. I added a clear 45 and extra valve with bayonet fittings at the trailer. I also carry an extra 15í hose. If you get a RhinoFlex hose, tighten the collars on the hose before you use it, and check them occasionally.

I use a folding trestle support for the hose and bought two cheap plastic gutters and cut them to fit in the truck bed. I put the gutter pieces on the trestle then lay the hose in it. If I donít have a positive connection with the pipe at the campground, Iíll wrap some electrical tape around the pipe and elbow.

Youíll get good suggestions here and find out what works best for you.

Donít forget some rubber gloves.

2017 Rockwood 2703WS - Sold
2015 Keystone Sprinter 333FWFLS
2017 F250, 6.2 Gas, 3.73 Axle, 2902 lb Payload
If women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy!
andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 02:39 PM   #5

I also bought a tote to put everything sewer related in. Using the bumper isnít that great and it wonít hold the extra fittings.

Old 04-21-2019, 04:47 PM   #6

Black Tank Drain Hose

I see that the Rhino drain hose comes in 15ft and 20ft. Any opinions on the shorter or longer one? Would the 15ft be OK or is there a need for the longer one now and then?
Thanks,
Bill
bill18163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 05:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill18163 View Post
I see that the Rhino drain hose comes in 15ft and 20ft. Any opinions on the shorter or longer one? Would the 15ft be OK or is there a need for the longer one now and then?
Thanks,
Bill
I say get the 20 foot one. You can always make it work if your only 15 foot away from the dump but if your 20 feet away the 15 foot will never work. If that makes since. Lol
Juddjn3399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 05:32 PM   #8
western NC mountains!

Hose are hoses are hoses - as long as they do the job, none of the frills or advertising matters much. You are simply allowing water to flow from your outlet to the sewer drain.

There are a LOT of items for the RVing world at every rv parts store or dealer, or even w*mt or your local hardware store, but most are not necessary. The hose is the main deal, everything else is just frills.

Length? it all depends on how close you are to the sewer outlet you are connecting to... the longer lengths give you more options, of course, but you can always move your rig to get closer even you don't... or you can choose to have two shorter 10' lengths, and connect the second if you ever need it.

Type? it really matters not the type, the brand, or anything else. The little that most folks travel and actually 'camp' during the year, any size/type/brand will do just fine. It's just a hose.

: ) enjoy

The Turners
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 diesel
KingTailgater2 Dish, 100w/5amps roof SOLAR, BlueOx,
90,000+mi, US, Alaska, Canada, western NC for now : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:55 PM   #9

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-RhinoFL.../dp/B01HPHR30U

This kit.

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T102.../dp/B000NCS7GE

Elbow.

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-.../dp/B000BGHYJS

Valve.

Old 04-21-2019, 09:19 PM   #10

You'll want a right angle fitting with a tapered end to somewhat seal to the campground sewer pipe.
Get a box of disposable rubber gloves to wear when handling the black tank hoses.
I don't bother hooking up the waste hose until I need to drain the tank. One more thing to trip over. Depending on the campsite layout, I may flush the waste hose well with clean water, remove it from the CG sewer, seal the end (was baggies and rubber band, now real end caps), & throw it under the TT. I've read bicycles wreak havoc on waste hoses. And if you trip over it, wet drops will go flying if it gets yanked from the CG sewer.
WalMart.com has great prices on RV stuff.

Husky Centerline TS WDH 400-600# rated bars
2018 camped 16 nights at 4 GGs.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, drain, tank