Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2015, 02:50 PM   #1

Black Tank, drainage frequency?

Alright, here is my conundrum...I use my RV pretty much every weekend, but generally not for anything extravagant - sometimes just to a friends house, sometimes just to cruise around, etc.
Problem is, I have no trailer parks or RV dump stations readily close by and therefore need to "store" waste in the black tank for a few weeks at a time.

Now when I say waste, it isn't much at all - generally just my woman and I, perhaps 1-4 uses a weekend. I make sure to dump a lot of water in and ensure that the toss in chemical pack is in there as well.

How long can I keep this up? Obviously if I have more people using it I would make the trek and empty, but this does not happen often.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you and Happy RV-ing.
BMATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 03:19 PM   #2

Until it's full. It's a holding tank, that's what it's made for.
iowasparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 03:20 PM   #3

Generally speaking, I don't empty the tank until it's 2/3's or so full. I find that the force behind the gravity feed doesn't always move all the solid waste out of the tank otherwise. I've got no evidence to back this up, but I'd also believe the longer the chemical packs have to work on the waste, the less solids there will be when it's time to dump.

That said, if the RV isn't going to be used for more than a couple of weeks I will dump it regardless just to avoid any unpleasant odors if the bowl doesn't seal right or something like that.

'21 GMC 2500HD Denali Duramax, '22 Genesis Vortex 3219VXL and many years as a happy FR Stealth 1913 owner... which is why I'm still here
vocoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 03:23 PM   #4

Agreed, almost full, or if it smells due to a poor seal or something.
iowasparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 03:36 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

I all depends on different things. When I was in Arizona this spring for two months and would drain it at about 2/3 full. One night we had a bad order in our RV. It was so bad that we couldn't sleep. Found out that the black tank started to brew with the 80-90 degree days we had for the past week. Drained the tank at 1am and able to sleep the rest of the night.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 03:41 PM   #6

As above, drain it when it starts to smell.
caesar101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 03:46 PM   #7

Use your gray tank to back flush and clean your black tank after you have emptied your black tank first.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 02:13 PM   #8

Where do you guys dump your black waste, in NZ we have to locate dump stations to hook our hoses up, I suppose in the states it my be a few miles to find one,
savi18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 02:25 PM   #9

The city waste treatment plant is 5 miles away, county fair grounds has two and is 10 miles away, Pilot TS is 15 miles out.

I dislike the idea of letting the waste settling in the tank so I use one of the above before unhooking the lite.

When camped I dump it when it is about 3/4 full.
Old 05-09-2015, 05:36 PM   #10

I am with elind. If the weather is warm/hot i would make sure there was enough water in the tank. Would not want it to evaporate and leave chunks in the tank.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 05:58 PM   #11

As was said .. it is a "holding" tank. As a former boater (sail plus Great Loop on a cruiser) I only dumped my holding tank when it was getting full. Sometimes it would be weeks before I dumped it in hot weather, and as long as you kept the odor control chemicals in it, all would be fine. Can't think why my RV would be any different.
jmencel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 08:16 PM   #12

During warm/hot weather i am sure the bottom of your boat is a lot cooler than the bottom of an RV.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:22 AM   #13

how does the black tank smell get into the living space ? if there is a water seal in the toilet and water in the sink and shower traps? thanks
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 09:56 AM   #14

Water seal? You mean the the seal that holds the water in the bowl? If the blank tank smells every time you flush it it would release an odor.
Old 05-10-2015, 10:24 AM   #15
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
Water seal? You mean the the seal that holds the water in the bowl? If the blank tank smells every time you flush it it would release an odor.
That's only momentarily, I think he was saying it was constant which shouldn't be unless he was getting it from the outside vent blowing inside.
Old 05-10-2015, 10:38 AM   #16

Guess i didn't read all of it. If it is constant that is a problem.
Old 05-10-2015, 11:13 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMATT View Post
Alright, here is my conundrum...I use my RV pretty much every weekend, but generally not for anything extravagant - sometimes just to a friends house, sometimes just to cruise around, etc.
Problem is, I have no trailer parks or RV dump stations readily close by and therefore need to "store" waste in the black tank for a few weeks at a time.

Now when I say waste, it isn't much at all - generally just my woman and I, perhaps 1-4 uses a weekend. I make sure to dump a lot of water in and ensure that the toss in chemical pack is in there as well.

How long can I keep this up? Obviously if I have more people using it I would make the trek and empty, but this does not happen often.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you and Happy RV-ing.
I had the same problem in hot weather, Then I switched to a product called full timer from CW. The problem ended sometimes depending on heat I might put 8 oz's instead of the 4 that it calls for. Also if your bath fan is on when you flush it draw the smell out....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 12:04 PM   #18
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by savi18 View Post
Where do you guys dump your black waste, in NZ we have to locate dump stations to hook our hoses up, I suppose in the states it my be a few miles to find one,
In this area, rest stops have dump sites... some truck stops,for a small fee, also. Or, late at night, at your neighbors door step ( right coasters)
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 12:11 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Your neighbours to the north would hang you up by a redwood for such thoughts! They protest someone using a jet ski on english bay for gosh sakes...
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 09:52 PM   #20

I drain at about 2 weeks. But when I had to redo my driveway for the concrete I dug a trench in the driveway and I put in power/sewer made a 15% drop in the sewer line and connected it to my main house sewer. But before that I used the Flying J which was 2 miles down the road.
outloud is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, drain, tank