Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2019, 10:40 AM   #1

Black tank fell

So.........fun stuff. I have a 2012 Crusader 35BHQQ. One of the black tanks somehow fell out of the angle iron brackets holding it up.

I cut the underbelly open, poked around til I figured out that one side angle iron is welded up, one is bolted. Removed the bolted bracket, removed the toilet from inside, unscrewed the water fitting and pulled it out of the floor. Figured ok, now i just slide it back in place and put the bracket back up, add some metal strapping so it doesnt happen again and done.

Well, there is about 1/4 inch of wiggle room i need that I cant get because of some fitting, guessing the vent pipe. I have plenty of wiggle room from the crapper connection. The vent pipe hole is cut tight to the pipe. I can't figure out where this vent may lead to.

Any help out there? Anyone dealt with this? I literally need 1/4 inch wiggle. I will be forever indebted for help.
jeffrosquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:34 PM   #2
Retired Old Fart

Vent should go all the way up to the roof and out. It's black ABS so it has a little flex in it though. Can you drop the tank completely and then use something to make the hole for the vent a little more oval to pick up that 1/4" or so? A narrow thin and sharp hand chisel may be enough to do the job if it's not through some aluminum framing (like just wood and insulation).

Plan "B" suggestion. Drop the tank, grind the welds off the welded angle, and then replace the angle where it needs to be and bolt both support in (or weld the one in the new spot if you have access to a welder or someone who can do it for you - you will still need to keep one of them as a bolt in so the angle can be installed after the tank is back up). I would also weld some tabs onto those angles so you can add some 3/16" or 1/4" thick flat steel that will bolt to the tabs and run under the tank perpendicular to the angle iron. You could take the angle to a welding shop and then drill and bolt the angle back in (if the cut out weld makes that one angle too short, you may have to get a longer piece to replace it anyway for bolting in).

Does this make sense?
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 12:28 PM   #3

Makes sense, I think I am going to have to sheer the welded bar, at least at one end and bend out of the way enough to slide the tank back in. Then weld it back up.
jeffrosquad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, tank, vent