Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2015, 03:52 PM   #1

Black Tank Fitting Leaking

I will be glad when I can post some positive things about our brand new TT. Right now I'm not so sure.. A couple weeks ago after the bed fell in over the pass through storage I was stunned but I fixed it because I didn't want the dealer to put it back like it was. This weekend I notice the black tank leaking on the ground (Yea I noticed it like anyone else, the smell). I can only imagine what the neighbors thought. After getting it home and flushing the tank it starts leaking at 2/3 full. It's leaking at the glued joint between the tank and valve assembly. Mine is ABS fittings. Has anyone else had this problem this quick? We bought this early June of this year and the amount of work to fix things for a brand new TT is crazy. Granted it's not top of the line but it's still new.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:37 AM   #2

You might be able to stop this leak in this manner: Try to clean out the black tank as clean as possible to start with. Allow the fitting that is leaking to thoroughly dry, even if this take a few days. Clean the fitting where it leaks with some MEK (methyl-ethyl-keytone) which can be found at most big box building supply stores in the paint cleaner department. Allow this to dry thoroughly also. Make sure that this joint is clean then dab pipe cleaner for ABS/DWV pipe all around the dry joint and allow to dry, just a few minutes. The using glue for ABS/DWV pipe dab this all around the joint making sure that you try to push the glue into the joint with the dauber thingy. Allow this to dry--say overnight. Remember: This piping is not a pressurized piping system, it is only gravity flow. I have repaired numerous DWV pipe joints with this method. What do you have to lose for trying this?
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 07:18 AM   #3

Thanks for the advice.. I don't mind fixing things myself. I just haven't made my mind up whether to let the dealer do it or not. Once I talk to them and find out a time frame I'll decide. I'm more frustrated at having to do it in the first place. I bought a brand new TT so that I may get a few years out of it before having to do these fixes. I'm thinking I should have saved my money and bought a used one..Thanks again!
Old 09-08-2015, 07:28 AM   #4

Let the Dealer replace/repair your issues,it is a NEW unit! Also did you buy the F/R 2nd year Warr? The 150.00$ one? Sounds like it might be a Good investment! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 08:36 AM   #5

I agree with youroo and thurman. let the dealer fix under warranty. but if your out of warranty then thurmans point is a good one i can expand on a little. you can use the abs cement and fiberglass cloth if necessary to lay up some hefty patches on abs tanks. ive done multible layers on wax paper just like laying up glass. look for excessive tank or line movement that may have led to your fitting failure in the first place.
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 10:48 AM   #6

I am still under warranty.. I did not buy the extended warranty though.. Right now I'm thinking I should have. This is our first TT and I am new to the holding tanks but not new to plumbing in general. It's nice to know that you can fix a gravity fed line with ABS cement without taking it out and replacing it. Thanks again for the advice.. But I will be taking it back to let them deal with the problem!
Old 09-08-2015, 01:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by alykat1325 View Post
I am still under warranty.. I did not buy the extended warranty though.. Right now I'm thinking I should have. This is our first TT and I am new to the holding tanks but not new to plumbing in general. It's nice to know that you can fix a gravity fed line with ABS cement without taking it out and replacing it. Thanks again for the advice.. But I will be taking it back to let them deal with the problem!
There has been a LOT of talk/Posts on here about F/R dropped the 10Day window for the 2nd year Warr! You can/should pursue if you feal your unit Has Issues! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 05:03 PM   #8

Yes there are tank repair kits (You must get one for ABS only) but i would have FR replace the tank, the person who made it did not burn in the fitting correctly so make them eat it. It does happen as there are so many parts to make up and rv, but this is FR issue not yours as the coach is new.
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:48 AM   #9

Just to add a little extra ... I just went out to the TT for no reason and there's water in the floor next to the slide ��. We had our first real all day soaking rain since we got it yesterday. I know it's going back now.
Old 12-25-2015, 11:08 PM   #10

It's been a few months but wanted to clarify that the dealer (although not the buying dealer but a sister company)fixed the black tank fitting leak. Of course all they did was put more cement on it but it's fixed. They had it full of water when I got there and it was not leaking. I've tested it again since I got it home and it's fine. The slide is still leaking though. That's another issue I have to work out.

Tags
black, black tank, leak, tank