Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2015, 03:53 PM   #1

Black tank flush ???

Never had one before, trying to work it out. No instructions in the manual.
I hooked a hose from the house (at home) into the 'black tank flush' port.
I turned the water on only for a few seconds and then I was going to open the black tank valve. But water started spraying everywhere so I shut it down!
1) do I need to use a regulator? is there too much pressure?
2) should I had opened the valve first? It seems like people have done it both
ways? I'm getting mixed signals.
3) maybe a plumbing issue but when it's just hooked up for water, everything
is fine. I had an outside shower installed at the dealer where we bought it
and they screwed up and tapped into the black water flush line instead of
cold water line. (Another story). So I took it to a CW as they had to replace
a cracked skylight under warranty. So I had them work on the shower as
long as it was there.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:52 AM   #2

Where is the water spraying from. Sounds like they didn't fix the line when they tapped into it.

I would have the valve open when using. After using it and know it's working right can close to let water build up in the tank but don't wait to long. I haven't used a regulator on my black tank flush. Too much pressure hasn't been a problem where I have been.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 05:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas451 View Post
Never had one before, trying to work it out. No instructions in the manual.
I hooked a hose from the house (at home) into the 'black tank flush' port.
I turned the water on only for a few seconds and then I was going to open the black tank valve. But water started spraying everywhere so I shut it down!
1) do I need to use a regulator? is there too much pressure?
2) should I had opened the valve first? It seems like people have done it both
ways? I'm getting mixed signals.
3) maybe a plumbing issue but when it's just hooked up for water, everything
is fine. I had an outside shower installed at the dealer where we bought it
and they screwed up and tapped into the black water flush line instead of
cold water line. (Another story). So I took it to a CW as they had to replace
a cracked skylight under warranty. So I had them work on the shower as
long as it was there.
Is this (Black Tank) in use? You say your at Home and going to Open the (Black Tank Valve)? Is it hooked to a Sewer? Sounds like the (Clowns) who hooked up the (BTF) to your (OSS) could also have placed the (Backflow/Check valve ) backwards! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:30 AM   #4

Well, I think it's ok. I did put a regulator on the incoming hose but I also noticed that the
cap that they had used to cap off the line to the OSS was not pressed on all the way.
I pushed on it and it 'clicked' or 'locked'. So I hope that is the end of it. I just find it frustrating that this whole RV industry seems a little lax in the units that they build and put out on the market, and then the support and maintenance responsibility associated with them.
I mean, why can't I get a manual/instructions that is specific to the product that I bought and paid for? I also sent a copy of the bill from CW for the cost to repair the installation screw up by that outfit in Texas for the OSS. Think I'll ever hear anything back? I doubt it!
If you're not handy and don't have some sort of a mechanical aptitude and can do alot of this stuff yourself, you might want to find another hoppy!
Old 08-11-2015, 12:20 PM   #5

I was told that if you use the black water flush you have to have the black water dump valve open.or it will build up pressure in the black tank and contaminate the whole water system. Thats what they told me at the dealer. So when I domp my black tank I leave the dump valve open and run the black tank flush and the spickett I use has a lot of pressure .
5sporty5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 12:46 PM   #6

Last fall I used my black tank clean out connection with my drain valve closed. I waited until the black tank was full watching it in the toile to see how full it was. I then dumped it. I do not see how it is possible for the black water to invade the fresh water lines or system. It seems to me that they are totally separate. But maybe I am wrong on this. Anybody else know about this?

Larry W8PO & Lori N8IHJ and Louie the wonder dog
2014 Surveyor Cadet 265RLDS
2015 GMC Denali HD
Ham Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 01:01 PM   #7

A BIG sticker on mine says Black Tank Valve Must be Open Before Flushing
14 CC 38CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 01:07 PM   #8

Hmmmmm nothing like that on mine. And I never read anything in the instructions about it either. Maybe I missed something. I will do a bit of snooping and see what I find.

2015 GMC Denali HD
Old 08-11-2015, 01:08 PM   #9

The sticker is in the valve area and black tank flush area . A big one at that
14 CC 38CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 01:13 PM   #10

If you don't have the black water drain valve fully open when you flush it it will build up enough pressure to burst the plastic back flow preventor. If this happens water from the black tank can seep back into the water lines and contamination will occur. I speak from experience. There was a video I watched a short time ago where a guy was giving an instructional on how to flush a tank. He instructed to fill the tank using the flushing hose. The only way that will work without damaging the back flow preventor is if the toilet valve is cracked open to let air escape! Otherwise you are asking for trouble.
Clark Anklam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 01:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham Camper View Post
Last fall I used my black tank clean out connection with my drain valve closed. I waited until the black tank was full watching it in the toile to see how full it was. I then dumped it. I do not see how it is possible for the black water to invade the fresh water lines or system. It seems to me that they are totally separate. But maybe I am wrong on this. Anybody else know about this?
The black water holding tank is totally separate from the fresh water tank as you said. I have heard of people using their water pump to run water into the black tank through the sprayer system which is a no, no and if doing this and the black tank check valve fails you could contaminate your fresh water system.
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 01:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5sporty5 View Post
I was told that if you use the black water flush you have to have the black water dump valve open.or it will build up pressure in the black tank and contaminate the whole water system. Thats what they told me at the dealer. So when I domp my black tank I leave the dump valve open and run the black tank flush and the spickett I use has a lot of pressure .
Most if not all TT black tanks have vent pipes out the roof so no you would not build up pressure in the tank, but I prefer to have the drain open when spray washing although I do sometimes let the tank level come up a ways with water then drain to get more forceful draining. Think about it, if pressuring was possible in the tank then you would also cause a vacuum to develop in the tank when draining and it wouldn't drain properly so the tank surely is vented.
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 01:34 PM   #13

Well I did some research online and I find that you ARE supposed to keep the black tank valve OPEN while using the black tank flush hose connection. I am sure glad I read this forum. I learn something new every day. Thanks to all who put the time in to help !!

2015 GMC Denali HD
Old 08-11-2015, 01:40 PM   #14

There are several posts on various forums about people getting distracted or otherwise forgetting that the black tank flush is on with the drain valve closed. They find out when water comes pouring off the roof from the vent. That might be why they say to keep the drain open. As long as the vent is not plugged up you will not pressurize your black tank.
DSurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 04:00 PM   #15

When using the black tank flush, I have always used it without having the black tank drain closed and not open. But I watch the black tank indicators and when 2/3 or 1/2 full, I turn off the water going into flush. I then open the drain gate and let the water out of the tank. But you have to watch this and this has to be your one task and I do not multitask while waiting to fill. Do not get distracted. As others have said, if distracted or trying to do something else, you could have a real stinky problem. This is my 4th RV in 20 years doing it this way and I have not had a problem.
txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 05:30 PM   #16

Same for me

I flushed mine this week at our seasonal campground (without full hookup). I let the black tank fill for several minutes and then drain. I filled my 45 gallon tote 3 times in order to get clear water running from the black tank.

I had always kept the dump valve open in prior sessions but decided that this time I would change my procedure, and it turned out to be in my favor. I let the flush water run clear for several minutes and then close the dump valve. Every time I opened the dump valve I got another batch of sewage. I kept doing this until my dumps ran clear. This tells me that in my tank just running the black tank flush does not really flush the tank. Your mileage may vary but this works for me.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:27 PM   #17

The black tank is a sealed system, when pressurized with water pressure something has to give. Mine says "open valve before connecting water".
harpplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:23 PM   #18

Mine isn't sealed, there's a vent to the roof. I've owned 3 fifth wheels and they all had vented tanks. You can tell when someone in a campground flushes a toilet into a dirty tank, bad odor surrounds the camper, from the roof vent.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:46 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5sporty5 View Post
On ours it has a sign stating you need to open the dump valve before flushing - right by the water flush hook up. I don't want to find out what might happen if I forget to do this.
KathyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:19 PM   #20

The reason for the sign is that the black tank "flushing" system is a spray wand built into the black tank. With the dump valve closed, the tank level will soon cover the wand, and the spray becomes totally ineffective because it's trying to "spray" through water. The tank is vented so pressure cannot build up, assuming the vent is not plugged.
However, if it's not attended to and allowed to overfill, black tank water can either 1. Overflow the vent pipe onto the rv roof, or 2. Seep back around the toilet flush valve seals inside the rv.....or both. Either way will provide for some stinky cleanup duties.

One tip I've learned is that when I leave a campsite headed home, the tanks are all dumped, then a good "squirt" of Dawn dishwashing liquid is poured into the toilet along with 3-4 gallons of water. The insides of the tank remain soapy and slick with the highway agitation. After I get home, I fill the black tank, and then dump. (Yes, I have a proper place). Odors are rare.

Hope that helps someone

Tags
black, black tank, black tank flush, tank