Old 04-24-2016, 01:56 PM   #1

Black tank flush issues - need input

Question for those of you with the built in black tank flush.

Mine never worked when I first got the motorhome. I took it back to the dealer where I bought it and had it repaired (200 mile round trip). The tech asked me how often I dumped the black tank. I told him when it's full, not 1/3 or half full. He told me there were some "solids" inside the black tank flush nozzle. He cleaned it all up and put it back together.

The next time I went to use the black tank flush I was 1600 miles away from the dealer. It worked! But.....the next time I went to use it it didn't, or any of the several times after that. I ended up buying a flush wand just to clean the black tank out.

Finally got back to home base after a cross country trip and had the time to pull the flush head apart. I had already replaced the plastic antisyphon valve with a brass one and didn't want to mess with that. I disconnected the pex from the flush nozzle and pointed the pex outboard. I hooked up a hose to the tank flush connection and turned the water on....plenty of water coming through the pex. So, my new antisyphon valve was not the problem.

I took the nozzle unit off the black tank and took it apart. It looked like cellulose (TP?) inside the nozzle - not on the outside of it where it projects into the black tank but rather inside the nozzle itself. That's why it didn't work. I cleaned it out, put it all back together and it works fine.

I was thinking that maybe sawdust got into the line somehow during construction and plugged it up. With the size of the holes in the nozzle tip I don't see TP working it's way through the tip to the inside of the nozzle...or could it?

Before I put everything back together I ran water through the line without the nozzle for a couple minutes to make sure if there was any sawdust in the line it would be flushed out without clogging the nozzle.

My question to those of you with a black tank flush factory installed, have you ever experienced TP breaking down and migrating to the inside of the nozzle? If so, short of taking apart how do you keep it clean?

Thanks

2015 Forester 2301 - Chevy
Skip & Deb - Bridgewater, NH & Delray Beach, FL
Forester Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 10:33 AM   #2

Hey Fred, I found I have a blocked black water flush line. I have had my Sunseeker Cass C for about a year. The flush worked fine last year, but I did not use it when I dumped a few times as I was at some state park dump stations without flush water supply.

Now I went to my normal dump station and after hooking it up I could tell no water was flowing into the tank. The hose was under some pretty good pressure too, guessing around 45-50 psi.

Sorry I don't know the answer to your question, but if you could share how you found the line and flush head, plus removing and cleaning, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Old 05-28-2016, 10:40 AM   #3

If you found TP "In the Raw' inside your BTR Nozzel that leads to 2 things, Using the Wrong TP and Not using enough H2O! Youroo!
Old 05-28-2016, 11:14 AM   #4

Use plenty of water when flushing the toilet. When draining holding tank just open the BTF before opening the drain valve. That way nothing can get hung up on the nozzle ports while draining. After closing the drain valve let the BTF run a few seconds longer. Type of toilet tissue has not been an issue with us. Charmin is what we use at home and camping.
Old 05-28-2016, 05:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopnman View Post
Hey Fred, I found I have a blocked black water flush line. I have had my Sunseeker Cass C for about a year. The flush worked fine last year, but I did not use it when I dumped a few times as I was at some state park dump stations without flush water supply.

Now I went to my normal dump station and after hooking it up I could tell no water was flowing into the tank. The hose was under some pretty good pressure too, guessing around 45-50 psi.

Sorry I don't know the answer to your question, but if you could share how you found the line and flush head, plus removing and cleaning, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!
I traced the feed line for my flush head from the driver's side, where the hose hookup is located, to the passenger side inside a compartment. I'm a couple hundred miles away from the camper right now so I can't post a photo for you. But, check your outside compartments on the back half of your rig. If you can see the holding tanks - mine go all the way across the whole rig - look for a Pex line going into one of the tanks. I snipped off the Pex clamp and unscrewed the entire assembly from the tank. I found later that I didn't have to do that, just the center piece that the Pex connects to unscrews too. When I took it all apart that's when I found either TP that went the wrong way - I don't see how that can happen as the holes in the spray head are extremely small. The TP would need to work it's way through those little holes and coagulate together into a mass. Maybe it's possible but I don't think so. I'm leaning more towards sawdust from when the rig was constructed got into the line and plugged the nozzle. I'll see what happens on my next trip with it.

I only use single ply TP and make sure I put 5 or 6 gallons of water in after I dump the black water tank - along with my Calgon water softener and a Tide detergent packet.

The good news is that now I've got the system figured out I can unscrew the nozzle head without cutting off the Pex clamp, there's enough free play in them that the head will turn inside the Pex line. When the dealer fixed it for me the first time they wrapped some teflon tape on the threads which makes it unscrew very easily. When I put it back together I put teflon tape on it again in case of a future issue.

2015 Forester 2301 - Chevy
Skip & Deb - Bridgewater, NH & Delray Beach, FL
Forester Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:00 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
If you found TP "In the Raw' inside your BTR Nozzel that leads to 2 things, Using the Wrong TP and Not using enough H2O! Youroo!
How does tp get inside the nozzle? You can use 20 gal of water with every flush and it won't put tp inside the nozzle.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
How does tp get inside the nozzle? You can use 20 gal of water with every flush and it won't put tp inside the nozzle.
You will have to ask someone who has had this happen,our Paper Dissolves way before it can be a Issue! Maybe they are using "WAX Paper"? Youroo!!
Old 06-16-2016, 10:52 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
You will have to ask someone who has had this happen,our Paper Dissolves way before it can be a Issue! Maybe they are using "WAX Paper"? Youroo!!
Inside the nozzle, not outside. Wouldn't make any difference if they used alum foil for tp, it still cannot get INSIDE the nozzle.
Old 06-22-2016, 12:39 PM   #9
2012 Sunseeker 2650CDS

I didn't have tp left over. Mine was a hard black ooze that had hardened. Probably tried to go too far without dumping a full tank.

Tags
black, black tank, black tank flush, tank