Old 01-16-2013, 09:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebemis View Post
Mike..you mentioned "treating" the gray tank, what do you use to do so?
We've been using this stuff on our last 3 campers and never had any odor problems from our grey tanks. Camco Gray Water Odor Control: Automotive : Walmart.com

Old 01-16-2013, 10:15 PM   #12

Quote:
TURBS, Greg & Mike...THANKS for sharing! I hadn't ever thought about dirty water odors coming from the gray tank but it does make sense!

They make specific products for the gray tank, however you can also use the same product you are using in your black tank in your gray tank.

What I usually do is put the product into the 1/3 full gray tank at the end of the camping trip. That way it will have at least a week or two to dissolve all of the solids that may have built up in the gray tank.

62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:55 PM   #13

I installed the Camco Quickie Flush last summer and it was well worth it. No more odors from the black tank. I chose the quickie flush over the Tornado because I was concerned about plastic moving parts over several years of freezing and had read some other forums about people having problems with them not spinning after few years. However, several on this forum have had great luck with the Tornado so it really comes down to personal choice.. It took us about a 1/2 hour to install the Quickie Flush. I do not have an enclosed underbelly.

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-40123-Qu.../dp/B000EDOSME
Old 01-16-2013, 11:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
I have a Tornado I will be putting in my gray tank as soon as I get a "warmer" less windy day.
I didn't know what a "Tornado" was so I did a little research. Perhaps there are more than one maker out there? The Camco one seems to have some pretty bad reviews on Amazon: Camco 40126 RV Tornado Rotary Tank Rinser with Hose : Amazon.com : Automotive

I'd hate to see someone punch one of these into their tank only to have it fail like some of the reviewers stated...
danno2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:30 PM   #15
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2u View Post
I didn't know what a "Tornado" was so I did a little research. Perhaps there are more than one maker out there? The Camco one seems to have some pretty bad reviews on Amazon: Camco 40126 RV Tornado Rotary Tank Rinser with Hose : Amazon.com : Automotive

I'd hate to see someone punch one of these into their tank only to have it fail like some of the reviewers stated...
That's the one I installed. I will let you know how long it lasts.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:33 PM   #16
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrboatfan View Post
I installed the Camco Quickie Flush last summer and it was well worth it. No more odors from the black tank. I chose the quickie flush over the Tornado because I was concerned about plastic moving parts over several years of freezing and had read some other forums about people having problems with them not spinning after few years. However, several on this forum have had great luck with the Tornado so it really comes down to personal choice.. It took us about a 1/2 hour to install the Quickie Flush. I do not have an enclosed underbelly.

Camco 40123 RV Quickie Flush with Back Flow Preventer : Amazon.com : Automotive
I winterize my flusher with RV antifreeze and will be adding the gray one next year when I do it again in the fall.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:01 AM   #17

Quote:

I winterize my flusher with RV antifreeze and will be adding the gray one next year when I do it again in the fall.
I blew mine out with the same valve I used for the camper. It worked great! I agree, no matter which one you install, they have to be winterized. When I was talking about the freezing cycles I was thinking about the plastic moving parts breaking down, at least that is what I read on some other forums that people were having issues with.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:23 PM   #18

Quote:
TURBS, Greg & Mike...THANKS for sharing! I hadn't ever thought about dirty water odors coming from the gray tank but it does make sense!

I'm sorry. Late getting back to you. We buy the liquid sewer treatment for the black tanks in six packs. We usually split a bottle between the gray tank and the galley tank. Never had any problem with odors. I haven't checked the price on the gray water sanitizer, but if it's cheaper than what we use for the sewer, maybe I should.
2008 F-250 Lariat 4x4 6.4 Powerstroke
Firestone Ride-Rites w/cab control
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:27 PM   #19

Quote:

Herk, I guess I'm a dunce but I have never winterized my tank flushers. Of course, our winters aren't typically as harsh here as they are where you're at, but we do see two or three 10 to 12 degree nights during the winter. Luckily, I've never had one give me any problems after the winter. We have a couple of nights forecast in the teens this coming week, so I might ought to pump a little antifreeze through them for good measure.
2008 F-250 Lariat 4x4 6.4 Powerstroke
Firestone Ride-Rites w/cab control
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:43 PM   #20

the factory installed black tank flush doesn't self drain? mine makes a vertical loop. looks like the top may have a vacuum breaker as well as a check valve. haven't really checked it.

Tags
black tank, black tank flush