Old 11-05-2012, 09:22 PM   #1

Black Tank Flush Question

I have just purchase a 08 Surveyor 282 and it does not have a black tank flush and I KNOW from personal experience this is a must in some form or another. I prefer the one that is into the side of the tank over the wand or one that hooks up to the sewer drain. The question I have is has any one put one of these in? The caper I have has the "sealed" underside. The corrugated plastic. Is it something I can put in with a decent amount of mechanical knowledge or is it worth the pain to have a RV shop put it in. The last camper I have I purchased the flusher for about $25 and the shopped charged me $50.

$50 bucks isn't a whole bunch but if it is easy enough I would love to save it.

wdrummond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:27 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Dropping the belly covering takes about 30 minutes "no wind;" it could take a LOT longer in a stiff breeze.

I have a Tornado I will be putting in my gray tank as soon as I get a "warmer" less windy day.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:32 PM   #3

Tornado Rotary Tank Rinser

2012 F-350 4x4 King Ranch Super Duty CC 6.7 Turbo Diesel 3.55 e-locker
2011 Palomino Puma 30KFBDS with Side Paw Kitchen and Bunkhouse
Equalizer E2 Hitch
GASPEDDLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:36 PM   #4

Why a gray tank flush?

Hey Lou.....I am new here and my 2013 Rockwood Roo 233S should be delivered to my dealer this coming week. I have been reading all of the posts around this site to try and refresh my memory, it has been more than 25 years since I last did anything with a tow trailer.....LOTS of things have changed! My new rig comes equiped with a black tank flush system, but noticed you are planning to install a gray tank system....are these tanks cleanliness/odor issues a bother??
Old 01-16-2013, 07:42 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

it helps to keep up on it.
without flushing black tank odors will start to occur as well as solids will accumulate and then youll have a problem .

TURBS
Old 01-16-2013, 07:47 PM   #6

I got one of these for flushing the tanks - Untitled Document. It works pretty well and can flush both grey and black tanks. Takes a little time to fill and flush, but seemed to clear them out pretty well. I also got an extra "black" hose for connecting to it that is stored with all the tank stuff.

2012 Tundra Crew Max 5.7L iForce V8 w/Equal-i-zer 10K
2013 Shamrock 23IKSS
Nights camped in 2012 - 32; 2013 - 31; 2014 - 22 so far
greg.thecoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:54 PM   #7

My rig has two black tanks, the front one came with a factory flush system, and I had a tornado flush system installed in the back tank. They make rinsing the black tank a breeze, help keep your tank level indicators clean and working properly, and help to eliminate unwanted odors. However, as good as they are, after I've flushed for a couple of minutes, I usually close the dump valve and let the tank fill about 2/3 full and then dump again. (Caution: make sure to closely watch the tank level when doing this, if not you will end up with water in places you don't want it.)

My gray and galley tanks don't have tornado flushers, but we do re-fill and rinse them after dumping, and keep them treated. The gray tanks will really stink the camper up more so than the black tanks if they aren't kept up properly. Most people do a good job maintaining their black tanks, but don't do anything special with their gray tanks and can't figure out why the trailer stinks.
2008 F-250 Lariat 4x4 6.4 Powerstroke
Firestone Ride-Rites w/cab control
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:18 PM   #8

TURBS, Greg & Mike...THANKS for sharing! I hadn't ever thought about dirty water odors coming from the gray tank but it does make sense!

Mike..you mentioned "treating" the gray tank, what do you use to do so?
Old 01-16-2013, 09:42 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Yep, I totally agree with Mike.

AND

There is no way to clean them like the black tank. The black tank has a straight drop from the toilet so you can do things like adding ICE and driving around to scrub the walls of deposits that won't come off, or a turboflusher to push out solids from the inside.

No such animal for the gray tank. Worse yet there is a trap in every access point so it is darn near impossible to get a flush wand down there to wash down the walls or the probes if they get really gooped up.

Adding the gray tank turboflush now allows me to give the tanks a good flushing out when I winterize or have probe issues (not so much now that I put Horst probes in my tanks).

Horst tank Probe Installation

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:46 PM   #10

The Tornado flusher is a very easy install and worth every penny. I wouldn't be without one.

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, black tank flush