Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2015, 09:49 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Waynesville
Posts: 12,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
The tank is vented and the rinse out tubing is 3 or more feet above the tank. Mine is 5 feet. The input to the tank is at the top of the tank. What you suggest can't happen.
OK so the Factories just put the Valve in for ? Youroo!!
__________________

__________________
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:50 AM   #12
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff64 View Post
...The vacuum break mod not necessary IMHO
It's not a mod, just take the worthless , totally useless pc of junk out. The only good thing about them is it's a good place to have a leak, which they do quite often.

Mine leaked from the time it was new and luckily it was a seep that leaked down the hose directly to the ground and never soaked anything. Finally found the leak about a month ago.
__________________

__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:45 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,422
Not a hydraulics expert, but my thinking- and the way I've flushed the black tank in the past is-

1. Drain black tank
2. Close main valve
3. Connect water hose to black tank connection
4. Fill tank to 3/4 full
5. Drain black tank with water on
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 ~ 3X
7. Turn off water
8. Check level indicator with tank empty. If reading is empty, go to step 9. If not, repeat steps 4-8.
9. Disconnect water hose AT THE CAMPER.

Step 9 is the reason I don't feel the need for the vacuum breaker. If I break the connection at the side of the camper and NOT at the hydrant I see no way possible for it to siphon water back out of the black tank. As a matter of fact, the only way I can foresee it being able to siphon back out is if you have the tank full when you disconnect AND you disconnect at the hydrant first instead of at the camper. I suppose that possible scenario is the reason for the vacuum breaker???
__________________
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:48 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indymule View Post
The vacuum breaker is on the black tank flush to allow the line to drain when the pressure is off. The recommendation to only use the flush when the drain valve is open is because if you leave the flush on and the tank fills, it is going to go somewhere. If it can't go up the toilet, then it will go up the vent pipe and provide a nice #$%^ shower for your trailer.
I fully understand the reason not to have the dump valve closed when using the flush. You'd have a moment on the way if not!!! Just wanting to make sure that the "fullway termination valve" WAS the dump valve. I assumed it was, but it's better to be safe than sorry, right.
__________________
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:13 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
bubbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
Not a hydraulics expert, but my thinking- and the way I've flushed the black tank in the past is-

1. Drain black tank
2. Close main valve
3. Connect water hose to black tank connection
4. Fill tank to 3/4 full
5. Drain black tank with water on
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 ~ 3X
7. Turn off water
8. Check level indicator with tank empty. If reading is empty, go to step 9. If not, repeat steps 4-8.
9. Disconnect water hose AT THE CAMPER.

Step 9 is the reason I don't feel the need for the vacuum breaker. If I break the connection at the side of the camper and NOT at the hydrant I see no way possible for it to siphon water back out of the black tank. As a matter of fact, the only way I can foresee it being able to siphon back out is if you have the tank full when you disconnect AND you disconnect at the hydrant first instead of at the camper. I suppose that possible scenario is the reason for the vacuum breaker???
The only thing I do different is connect the rinse out and turn it on first and then dump and then close main valve till tank is full (monitor indicator and cross check through toilet) and then dump again then close main valve and let a couple gallons enter tank through rinser before shutting down. There is residual water that comes back out the hose when disconnecting but it is not from the tank, just water in the input side tubing to the backflow preventer. Never have indicator issues with stock sensors giving false readings. I use a "Y" that has separate shut off valves at the water source faucet so I don't have to shut water off to the coach for dumping purposes. it must be noted that these stock rinse out systems do not fill a tank in a split second. Mine takes about 20 minutes to fill. It's not a gusher. I'm done.
__________________
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:50 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Halifax Nova Scotia Canada
Posts: 571
I recently was rinsing our black water tank and a neighbor camper came over to ask a ?'n...Went off with him.....Heard the BH holler.....Water came up thru toilet on BRm floor..A mess!!!!!!!!! just stinky water as I had rinsed just a few mins previous........Would like to install a water timer on hose to shut off after a few minutes......This will not happen again!!!!!!!!!!!!!! J
__________________
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 01:04 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Waynesville
Posts: 12,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
The tank is vented and the rinse out tubing is 3 or more feet above the tank. Mine is 5 feet. The input to the tank is at the top of the tank. What you suggest can't happen.
What I posted is for (ANY RV) they are Not all Plumbed like Yours! YES it can Happen,that is why the Fac.put them in and ALL of the other Sewer Aids ( Sewer Solution/Flush King/Flow Jet) ALL come with a Backflow Preventer! They have No way of knowing how the Application in which it will be used! Youroo!!
__________________
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 01:16 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: IL
Posts: 405
Hi,

I added a simple, cheap in-line valve right at the female fitting that takes the flush hose. Close that valve before shutting off the water at the faucet, and there will be no back-flow.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
__________________
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 02:04 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
bubbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
What I posted is for (ANY RV) they are Not all Plumbed like Yours! YES it can Happen,that is why the Fac.put them in and ALL of the other Sewer Aids ( Sewer Solution/Flush King/Flow Jet) ALL come with a Backflow Preventer! They have No way of knowing how the Application in which it will be used! Youroo!!
Sorry, thought this was a Forest River Forum utilizing their black tank system clean out installs. No specifics in your post to the contrary.
__________________
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 02:13 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Waynesville
Posts: 12,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Sorry, thought this was a Forest River Forum utilizing their black tank system clean out installs. No specifics in your post to the contrary.
That's OK F/R makes lots of RVs and they are Plumbed different! Youroo!!
__________________

__________________
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
black, black tank, black tank flush, tank

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:12 AM.