Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2015, 07:51 AM   #1

Black tank flush question

OK- stupid question...... This warning (2nd pic) is referring to the main dump valve, right? My last Puma, a 2015 also, did not have this warning sticker and I want to make sure I'm not missing something here! Also, it appears as though I have a vacuum breaker installed on this one(1st pic)- which a lot of members have had issues with, I think. Anyone remove this and just connect the lines? I see absolutely no reason for a vacuum breaker on a tank with a vent, but????
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	File Jun 03, 7 31 57 AM.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	78919   Click image for larger version

Name:	File Jun 03, 7 33 13 AM.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	261.5 KB
ID:	78920  
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:57 AM   #2

The vacuum breaker is on the black tank flush to allow the line to drain when the pressure is off. The recommendation to only use the flush when the drain valve is open is because if you leave the flush on and the tank fills, it is going to go somewhere. If it can't go up the toilet, then it will go up the vent pipe and provide a nice #$%^ shower for your trailer.
2017 Ford F350 Crewcab Dually Diesel
Officially homeless and loving it.
Ham Callsign K9NDY
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:02 AM   #3

Decal is SOP some are not applied. Yep that Valve will/could Fail,BIG water Mess to clean up! If you connect the hoses just use a Outside V-breaker! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:03 AM   #4
Mod free 5er

Yes, I removed mine and cut out about 8' of hose and connected the inlet hose directly to the hose going to the tank. I also have a factory installed backflow valve behind the outside hose inlet.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:13 AM   #5

Thanks all!!!!
Old 06-03-2015, 08:23 AM   #6

For the life of me, I can't see this as any more than a tank rinser. If you have a clog or restriction going out of the tank into the pipe, no way in heck are you going to build enough pressure to move it through. I still use the flush king at least one time then the rinser does it's job OK. The vacuum break mod not necessary IMHO
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff64 View Post
For the life of me, I can't see this as any more than a tank rinser. If you have a clog or restriction going out of the tank into the pipe, no way in heck are you going to build enough pressure to move it through. I still use the flush king at least one time then the rinser does it's job OK. The vacuum break mod not necessary IMHO
If your the Next person to hook up the Hydrant that has been (Backfed?) from a hose that was filled with (SEWER WATER) you would want one! Youroo!!
Old 06-03-2015, 08:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Yes and the proper way to rinse is to close the outlet valve, fill the tank, open the outlet valve till emptied and it's a done deal. Just don't walk away while performing this procedure. Complete the rinsing of the black tank before moving on to something else. Use the indicators or look down the toilet to know when tank is full. You will never have an indicator issue due to something hanging up on the sensors.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
If your the Next person to hook up the Hydrant that has been (Backfed?) from a hose that was filled with (SEWER WATER) you would want one! Youroo!!
The tank is vented and the rinse out tubing is 3 or more feet above the tank. Mine is 5 feet. The input to the tank is at the top of the tank. What you suggest can't happen.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:49 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
I don't know of anyone who thinks of this as more than a tank rinser.

You're right in your assumption that its purpose is NOT to force large blockages out of the black tank system.

If your vacuum breaker failed and blew water all inside your trailer, would you consider it necessary to remove or replace it?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
The tank is vented and the rinse out tubing is 3 or more feet above the tank. Mine is 5 feet. The input to the tank is at the top of the tank. What you suggest can't happen.
OK so the Factories just put the Valve in for ? Youroo!!
Old 06-03-2015, 08:50 AM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
...The vacuum break mod not necessary IMHO
It's not a mod, just take the worthless , totally useless pc of junk out. The only good thing about them is it's a good place to have a leak, which they do quite often.

Mine leaked from the time it was new and luckily it was a seep that leaked down the hose directly to the ground and never soaked anything. Finally found the leak about a month ago.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:45 AM   #13

Not a hydraulics expert, but my thinking- and the way I've flushed the black tank in the past is-

1. Drain black tank
2. Close main valve
3. Connect water hose to black tank connection
4. Fill tank to 3/4 full
5. Drain black tank with water on
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 ~ 3X
7. Turn off water
8. Check level indicator with tank empty. If reading is empty, go to step 9. If not, repeat steps 4-8.
9. Disconnect water hose AT THE CAMPER.

Step 9 is the reason I don't feel the need for the vacuum breaker. If I break the connection at the side of the camper and NOT at the hydrant I see no way possible for it to siphon water back out of the black tank. As a matter of fact, the only way I can foresee it being able to siphon back out is if you have the tank full when you disconnect AND you disconnect at the hydrant first instead of at the camper. I suppose that possible scenario is the reason for the vacuum breaker???
Old 06-03-2015, 09:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indymule View Post
The vacuum breaker is on the black tank flush to allow the line to drain when the pressure is off. The recommendation to only use the flush when the drain valve is open is because if you leave the flush on and the tank fills, it is going to go somewhere. If it can't go up the toilet, then it will go up the vent pipe and provide a nice #$%^ shower for your trailer.
I fully understand the reason not to have the dump valve closed when using the flush. You'd have a moment on the way if not!!! Just wanting to make sure that the "fullway termination valve" WAS the dump valve. I assumed it was, but it's better to be safe than sorry, right.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:13 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
Not a hydraulics expert, but my thinking- and the way I've flushed the black tank in the past is-

1. Drain black tank
2. Close main valve
3. Connect water hose to black tank connection
4. Fill tank to 3/4 full
5. Drain black tank with water on
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 ~ 3X
7. Turn off water
8. Check level indicator with tank empty. If reading is empty, go to step 9. If not, repeat steps 4-8.
9. Disconnect water hose AT THE CAMPER.

Step 9 is the reason I don't feel the need for the vacuum breaker. If I break the connection at the side of the camper and NOT at the hydrant I see no way possible for it to siphon water back out of the black tank. As a matter of fact, the only way I can foresee it being able to siphon back out is if you have the tank full when you disconnect AND you disconnect at the hydrant first instead of at the camper. I suppose that possible scenario is the reason for the vacuum breaker???
The only thing I do different is connect the rinse out and turn it on first and then dump and then close main valve till tank is full (monitor indicator and cross check through toilet) and then dump again then close main valve and let a couple gallons enter tank through rinser before shutting down. There is residual water that comes back out the hose when disconnecting but it is not from the tank, just water in the input side tubing to the backflow preventer. Never have indicator issues with stock sensors giving false readings. I use a "Y" that has separate shut off valves at the water source faucet so I don't have to shut water off to the coach for dumping purposes. it must be noted that these stock rinse out systems do not fill a tank in a split second. Mine takes about 20 minutes to fill. It's not a gusher. I'm done.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:50 AM   #16

I recently was rinsing our black water tank and a neighbor camper came over to ask a ?'n...Went off with him.....Heard the BH holler.....Water came up thru toilet on BRm floor..A mess!!!!!!!!! just stinky water as I had rinsed just a few mins previous........Would like to install a water timer on hose to shut off after a few minutes......This will not happen again!!!!!!!!!!!!!! J
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:04 PM   #17

Quote:
What I posted is for (ANY RV) they are Not all Plumbed like Yours! YES it can Happen,that is why the Fac.put them in and ALL of the other Sewer Aids ( Sewer Solution/Flush King/Flow Jet) ALL come with a Backflow Preventer! They have No way of knowing how the Application in which it will be used! Youroo!!
Old 06-03-2015, 12:16 PM   #18

Hi,

I added a simple, cheap in-line valve right at the female fitting that takes the flush hose. Close that valve before shutting off the water at the faucet, and there will be no back-flow.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 01:04 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
What I posted is for (ANY RV) they are Not all Plumbed like Yours! YES it can Happen,that is why the Fac.put them in and ALL of the other Sewer Aids ( Sewer Solution/Flush King/Flow Jet) ALL come with a Backflow Preventer! They have No way of knowing how the Application in which it will be used! Youroo!!
Sorry, thought this was a Forest River Forum utilizing their black tank system clean out installs. No specifics in your post to the contrary.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:13 PM   #20

Quote:
Sorry, thought this was a Forest River Forum utilizing their black tank system clean out installs. No specifics in your post to the contrary.
That's OK F/R makes lots of RVs and they are Plumbed different! Youroo!!

Tags
black, black tank, black tank flush, tank