Old 06-07-2009, 01:14 PM   #1
Trailer Life Newbie

Black tank not draining?

This is my first season with the TT. It's at a permanent site, hooked up to direct sewer and water. No problems after each weekend we've been there until we left to come home last night.

I drained the black tank first as usual-heard that there was no draining so I closed it and pulled the gray tank handle down and after it was done, pushed it back up closed.

I then went in the trailer and pushed the buttons to make sure it was all drained, and the black tank indicator says it is still 2/3 full. I went back out and pulled the lever down and didn't hear any sounds of draining.

WTH? I've heard that there is a possibility that paper or waste can get "stuck" on the sensor and it will appear full when it's not. How do I know? I obviously dont want to have an overflowing toilet-ugh.

Any suggestions?

Old 06-07-2009, 01:47 PM   #2

I have a holding tank rinser I bought at camping world to keep my tank washed out.It helps keep the sensors clean.I think Walmart sells the same one.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ith-valve/4678

Old 06-07-2009, 01:48 PM   #3

If your unit has a straight pipe from the toilet to the holding tank (many do) then you can open the toilet valve and use a flashlight to look into the tank. Be aware that the holding tank is very shallow but if it's drained you'll be able to see the bottom.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:01 PM   #4

Two things to keep in mind. If you're new to Permanent camping, and I expect that you know this. You shouldn't emty the black water tank until it is at least 2/3 -3/4 full. The reason is that if you drain it before it has a good volume of water in it, the solids may stay behind. BAD. As for the black tank flusher, I have one. Bought it at local RV dealer. Hook it to a garden hose, string the hose through the door and into the "thinking room". Hold the ball, or flap open, stick the flusher down inside, it squirts water sideways. Turn it round and round so as to blast at all sides of your tank. That should clean it right up.
Good Luck
Old 06-13-2009, 06:23 PM   #5

Jill...See my post in this forum entitled DUMP SLIDE...this may be your problem as this is what happened to ours! Jan
Old 06-13-2009, 11:44 PM   #6
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
If you have black tanks...the key is to use PLENTY of water.
I always started my camping trips with a good 1/4 tank of plain water in my black tank.
If you do have a clog, a good way to get it out is to buy a FLUSH KING elbow fitting and back flush your tank.

2014 Jayco Whitehawk 24 RBS
2004 Nissan Titan LE, 4x4
Equal-i-zer hitch
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:18 AM   #7
AKA KE2DX

Another way to monitor if your tanks, both grey and black are draining and empty is to purchase a clear 45 degree angle adapter that connects to you waste outlet on the TT and the sewer line connects to the other end. Another product that will enable you to see the progress of your dumping is the RV Hydroflush. Again, it is a clear 45 degree angle adapter that you can veiw the progress of you dumping and force flush your black tank. (not always so pretty to watch) The 45 degree angle will releive the pressure on the sewer hose at the drop off from the TT line thus enabeling a little longer life of the sewer hose. I have the built in black tank washer but I still use the Hydro flush to make sure my tanks are clean and empty before heading down the road.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:20 AM   #8

And always use planty of water to flush after use, this will help push it all down in the tank and keep the stuff in water a long with the chemicals to break everything down for an easier clean out.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:00 PM   #9

Exclamation

We just bought a sandpiper 292rl JUly 2nd. It had something in the black tank from new and stunk horribly. It wouldn't drain. We stopped at a campground for the night wondering what to do and a campground host said fill up the gray tank and black all the way then pull both valves open at the same time.. IT WORKED!! Thank you because that smell was horrid. The grey is down line from the black and creates extra vacuum on the black tank.

Tags
black tank