Old 10-23-2017, 08:52 PM   #1

Black Tank Overflow While Flushing

I got distracted and let my black tank overflow (discharge valve was closed). I know I know .... never do anything else while doing this job and the discharge valve should be open while flushing. But like others, I feel that the black tank cleans better if it is at least 2/3 or more full.

Anyway, my son noticed water draining from the underbelly and I immediately knew what I had done. I turned off the water and the water continued to drain from the underbelly for 15-20 minutes or so. No water overflowed the toilet onto the floor or vent pipe on top of the trailer (Surveyor). I went ahead and drained the black tank and then refilled it. No more leakage from the underbelly or anywhere else and it seemed to hold the contents overnight.

Any theories on what happened and how much damage that I may have caused that I cannot see? From what I have read, any overflow would likely be out the toilet or on the vent pipe so I am surprised that only water I saw was from the underbelly.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

sowbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:57 PM   #2

You may have "popped" the seal/gasket at the flange where the toilet tube enters the black tank.

rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:59 PM   #3

There’s a seal between the tank and toilet bottom. You may have forced water out at that point. That would be at floor level.

TV - 2013 Silverado 1500, 5.3L
TT - 2012 Wildwood 26 TBSS
mduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 06:46 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies.

I went and looked today and the underbelly removal is not something I think I want to tackle since it is riveted to the frame. Looks like a big job to take it off and I'm sure if it take special tools. I was hoping I could inspect the tank and remove any wet insulation. Looking into the toilet from above, I see some residual water at the bottom which I assume is the tank (about 1-2 inches deep). Is there another way to inspect under the toilet and the tank without taking the underbelly off?

I have a service appointment in about a month so I guess I can have them do that for me. It the meantime, it seems like the tank is holding water with no apparent leakage. Is it ok to use for a couple more weekend trips before I take it to the service department to have the insulation removed and any necessary repairs?

Any other recommendations in the meantime?

Thanks
Old 10-25-2017, 12:40 PM   #5

We had a leak at the back-flush fitting to the black water tank. It only leaked when the tank was nearly full. The tank had to be full to find the leak.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 02:13 PM   #6
D W

At this point, don't feel like the Lone Ranger. By my count, this type of incident has been reported on this forum at least once a week for the past month and a half. You'll just have to come up with a system that forces you to open that black tank valve before you turn the flush water on.

"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 02:52 PM   #7

In terms of suggestions for the next guy, I wouldn't let the water continue to drain for 15-20 mins before I pulled the valve and emptied the black tank. I would have immediately drained the black tank to minimize the amount of spillage/overflow.

If it were me, I'd figure out a way to remove the underbelly covering and inspect it myself. Are you sure it's rivets, and not a small hex head screw?

If they are, in fact, rivets, I'd drill them out and consider using self tapping screws to replace.

Regardless, I'd rather inspect it myself and make sure I replaced any water soaked insulation etc..

Mike
Old 10-25-2017, 03:11 PM   #8

Hmm I removed the back part of my underbelly and there was not a lick of insulation in there. Just assumed there was not supposed to be. There were 2 wires and a heat register.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by walaby View Post
In terms of suggestions for the next guy, I wouldn't let the water continue to drain for 15-20 mins before I pulled the valve and emptied the black tank. I would have immediately drained the black tank to minimize the amount of spillage/overflow.

If it were me, I'd figure out a way to remove the underbelly covering and inspect it myself. Are you sure it's rivets, and not a small hex head screw?

If they are, in fact, rivets, I'd drill them out and consider using self tapping screws to replace.

Regardless, I'd rather inspect it myself and make sure I replaced any water soaked insulation etc..

Mike
I did drain the black tank immediately, but it took 15-20 minutes for the underbelly to complete draining after I drained the black tank. I didn't make that clear.

I'll go back and check to see if underbelly is connected by small hex screws. That would be much easier and I agree that I need to inspect for wet insulation and see where my leak is coming from.

thanks
Old 10-25-2017, 07:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
We had a leak at the back-flush fitting to the black water tank. It only leaked when the tank was nearly full. The tank had to be full to find the leak.
I think I'm dealing with the same thing since my tank didn't leak when I filled it nearly full after my incident. I hope the leak is from the back flush, toilet, or vent fitting and not a cracked tank.

Thanks

Tags
black, black tank, flush, tank