Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2015, 05:04 PM   #1

Black tank prep

Hello
We are fairly new to the black and gray tank world. This is our second season with our Flagstaff Microlite 25DS.
I think my hubby and I have a system going with the dumping at the end of our trip. However, I have been researching more on this procedure.
I have some questions.
We basically camp 5-6 times a season being from summer to early fall.
We camp mostly state parks with no water or sewage hook up so it is to the dump station we go at the end to empty (and also before to fill up the fresh water tank).
We mostly camp 2-3 day weekends with an occasional 4-5 day jaunt.
When we dump at the end of our weekend, we may not go again for 2-3 weeks.
We pour the black tank additive after we are set up into the toilet/tank along with some water to cover the bottom of the tank.
When we empty the black tank at the end, it can show 2/3 full or so. My question is, are we to leave some small amount of water AND additive in the tank after our trip or is this not necessary? I see from some research I have been doing, that water should be left in the tank along with additive? If so, how much? What about the gray tank? We try to empty until the sensors are showing empty ( I know this can be unreliable) Thanks much for your input.
PTLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 05:47 PM   #2
Site Team

YES, definitely add some water.
A black tank should NEVER be left dry for very long.
After dumping, I add 3-5 gallons of water from a bucket and then the additive.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 06:35 PM   #3

And use the GEO method while you're in camp:

Forest River Forums - Downloads - Geo Method

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:16 PM   #4

GOOD stuff Rockfordroo! Thanks!
Jane1550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:26 PM   #5

thanks for the info.
So, after I dump the black tank and gray tank, then I should add an additional 3-5 gallons with the 4 oz of liquid chemical?

So when I return to camping in say 2-3 weeks, I am good to go without adding anything else?

also, it is ok to leave the gray tank empty then?
PTLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:57 PM   #6

PT - the black tank is the one that needs special "care" as detailed above. So yes, put 3-5 gallons of water and what ever chemical or GEO method additives you choose. The gray tank only handles soapy water so it will be fine if left empty. Some people put a little water in the gray tank too on the theory that it prevents odors. I leave mine empty.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTLady View Post
thanks for the info.
So, after I dump the black tank and gray tank, then I should add an additional 3-5 gallons with the 4 oz of liquid chemical?

So when I return to camping in say 2-3 weeks, I am good to go without adding anything else?

also, it is ok to leave the gray tank empty then?
PT Lady,also treat the Gray tank same as Black! Your kitchen sink as well as your body oils will Stink up the Gray tank just like the Black! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:54 PM   #8

I do the water & chemicals when leaving the CG and do the GEO when I arrive.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 07:00 AM   #9

Ice cubes

After we dump our black tank, Just before we get ready to pull out and hit the road, we flush all our ice cubes down the toilet, These will slosh around and clean the sides and bottom of the tank, and then they melt and go away.

we don't use any additives
Old 07-11-2015, 07:21 AM   #10

I use the GEO method in both grey and black before I hit the road so that the softener/detergent sloshes around the tanks. When I leave the campground I dump, and then put a gallon of water and deodorizer powder in the black so that it sits in the tank while parked.
ptt87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 08:36 AM   #11

My 2 cents...

I see most replies like to leave some water and additives in the black tank when the rig is not being used.

I always use the GEO Method...

I think this is probably a 'personal preference' ...to leave tanks wet or to leave tanks dry...as I like to have the tank 'CLEAN' and Dry when not in use.

Doing so means that my last flush of the tanks is very thorough by seeing only 'clear' water (via clear elbow) coming from the tanks and using the tanks internal spray / rinse.

IMO....It all depends on how soon you are going to use your rig again.
If it is next weekend...then sure... leaving water etc. in the tanks would be fine.
However, if it is going to be several weeks or months all that water is more than likely going to evaporate via the vent stacks leaving any chemicals to dry out and crust up inside the tanks. (with exception to rigs covered or inside buildings, vent stacks won't have the wind blowing over the stack)

I'm not saying that what I do is right or wrong..... I leave that up to my wife

Islander
Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back,
Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Bilstein Shocks
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:13 AM   #12

I have used the GEO method for my black tank & it seems to work OK. My question now is , has anyone put liquid fabric softener in black tank & what were the results? I know if you do that to baked on stuff on your baking pans, it will completely loosen all residue & just thought it might do the same on black tank. Always looking for an easier way to clean my tanks.
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa GLS View Post
I have used the GEO method for my black tank & it seems to work OK. My question now is , has anyone put liquid fabric softener in black tank & what were the results? I know if you do that to baked on stuff on your baking pans, it will completely loosen all residue & just thought it might do the same on black tank. Always looking for an easier way to clean my tanks.
I started doing that two trips ago, hoping to get the black tank sensors to show correct fill level, no help yet, but who knows...if it works, I'll pass it on.

2015 36DBK5
2015 Chevy 3500 dually
Ninemmsig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 11:30 AM   #14

First of all.... Congrats on using the Geo Method .

You will find it will prove to be very effective and economical.

I have used the Geo Method for years, on several different rv's.
Solved problems like - odors , clogged sensors - removed scum on sides of tanks, and more.

The Method's main ingredients are Laundry detergent (powdered) and
water softener (powdered) FYI... I buy the cheapest laundry soap and use the water softener sparingly, as I find it does not have to be used too it's fullest every time.

IMO.... The laundry soap provides the fragrance and cleaning where as the softener provides a slippery film that adheres to the tank sides, both are powder which break down over time.

There have been some using a 'liquid' softener and I do believe have had some good success with it.

Your Question: "has anyone put liquid fabric softener in black tank & what were the results?"
My reply:
It does sound like it may have the same results....However, I personally have not tried it 'yet'....but I just may do so.

In closing:
The whole thing about 'holding tanks' they are just that...and never are meant to be 'septic tanks'..as all those Expensive RV chemical pushers would lead you to believe. ...IMO... I do not believe that 'any' of those chemicals "break-down" the solids in a 3 or 4 day period...waste of money!

Hope this helps
Islander
Old 08-15-2015, 11:43 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninemmsig View Post
I started doing that two trips ago, hoping to get the black tank sensors to show correct fill level, no help yet, but who knows...if it works, I'll pass it on.

Ninemmsig........

Just a quick tip:

For the best results ..I have to 'help unclog the sensors' is to put your solution (soap and softener) into your "dumped empty tanks".. put in at least 3 to 4 pails of water (in each tank) before you leave to the next site (or home) ...the sloshing on the road trip will agitate in the tank and work it's magic.
If you are just going to another site...you are ready for action..... if you are going home and laid up for a while...try to keep the tanks good and wet until you head out...unless it is going to freeze...then drain.

Hope this helps
Islander
Old 08-15-2015, 11:52 AM   #16

Been using liquid detergent & water softener; haven't tried the powdered, but will. Also in my area you can't always find water softener. That is why I was wondering about the fabric softener. I know dryer sheets work good on baked on residue in baking pans, & on bugs on vehicles, etc., so it was just a thought that regular fabric softener would do the same in black & gray tanks.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:54 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa GLS View Post
I always use the liquid softener, mainly because I can never find the powder. I've been happy with the results. But I also restrict toilet use to "number 1" only. Any more than that and its off to the bath house!
ptt87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 12:00 PM   #18

ptt87
That should work really good, unless it's raining. We put no paper in ours. A little inconvenient, but we're used to it now & it works for us.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:31 PM   #19
Canadian Full Timer

I love the Geo Method but find it is rather expensive, so am rotating month by month with the ZymeOut (no formadehyde in it) - we did use the Geo Method for two months but the readings are still not correct on the monitor, so something is still stuck there I think. We live full time in our fifth wheel so it does not travel anywhere and that, I know, would make a difference as it cannot "shake" any particles loose in the tank. (When the washing machine shakes, I always like to think that it helps with that
Cherokeerose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, tank