Old 10-02-2013, 02:46 PM   #1
Papi

Black Tank Rinse...How do it work?

I've read the posts about what to do or not to do with the black tank rinsing thing but my question is: Just how does it work? Short of sticking a small camera down there I'm wondering exactly what the mechanism is. Is it just spray ports or does something revolve or what? Also, what's a reasonable duration for the rinse to be activated? Just curious. Thanks!

Papicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:10 PM   #2

Its just a fitting with tiny holes in the end that jet wash the walls of your tank. I run mine for up to an hour at last time out of the season, or as long as needed until the clear elbow I use shows no more brown water.... I also use it to refill the tank and then dump again. CAUTION with that though. It is not recommended by the tank manufacturers as it could pressurize and rupture the tank or at least wash off the top of your camper via the roof vent....

jtstromsburg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:15 PM   #3

I have a 90 Degree Clear Sewer Hose Adapter with Bayonet Lugs attached to the drain pipes under the RV. Pull the black tank drain valve, let it run, after it stops turn on the rinse. Let rinse run till you see the water is clear, once clear turn off the rinse. Then I dump the gray water. Disconnect, spray the fittings with a mixture of 1/2 water, 1/2 bleach in my spray bottle, run fresh water thru the sewer hose, finish the clean up. Put all the sewer parts in a rubbermaid plastic tub, snap the top shut, slide into the basement. No mess, no fuss, job done.

btritschler1437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:28 PM   #4
Denver, CO

Open the black tank, and then turn on the rinser. When effluent is clear I close the tank valve and let it run 5 minutes (by stopwatch) while I do other thing and then open the tank valve again until clear, and then close the tank again for 5 minutes. Repeat several times, until I'm packed up and ready to go. Then close the black let it run for 2 minutes to make sure there is plenty of water left in the black tank open the grey till empty and then close the grey, disconnect the hoses, store the fittings in a closed tupperware, put the drain hose in the bumper and I'm on my way.

Some say not to run the rinser with the tank closed, but as long as you are using a timer to prevent overfilling the black tank, I see no problem over many years and many campers.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:13 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Camco 40126 RV Tornado Rotary Tank Rinser with Hose : Amazon.com : Automotive

The bullet shaped nozzle goes into the tank and wiggles and spins under pressure washing down the walls and cleans the sensors.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:58 AM   #6

garbonz, watch for diff water pressures when you do this if not using a pressure reducer on your water supply to flush connection. if you have high water pressure at the hook up it will change your fill time and you could have a disaster (like water coming up inside rv toilet and flood bathroom.) im just sayin. It only takes ONCE.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:14 AM   #7

On my class A, I had spray nozzles mounted into the side of the tank and used my hose or water connection to rinse. I just downsized to a Sunseeker Class C and started looking into what I am going to do. The sewer rinse that attaches to the outlet of the black/gray tank will only work if your piping goes straight into the tank. If it has any elbows and turns, you will only rinse those elbows and turns and not the tanks. I bought a wand that connects to a hose and you insert it into the toilet. I put a water shutoff valve where the hose connects to the wand to make it a one-person operation. Little rotating jets look like they do a good job at in rinsing.
2015 Keystone Bullet Travel Trailer
2016 F-150 Lariat with Auto Trailer Backup
Dog = Morki (Yorkie-Maltese) - Zoe
Malabarbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:57 AM   #8
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick83 View Post
garbonz, watch for diff water pressures when you do this if not using a pressure reducer on your water supply to flush connection. if you have high water pressure at the hook up it will change your fill time and you could have a disaster (like water coming up inside rv toilet and flood bathroom.) im just sayin. It only takes ONCE.

Good point, but I always use a watts regulator and monitor the pressure when I hook up so eliminate that issue.

Valid point tho.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:21 AM   #9

im getting me a regulator as soon as I pay my personal property tax of 300.00 for 2 months due 31dec!!! we got the bill immediately when bought on 25 oct. then I will have some spare change to get one in jan/feb.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:03 AM   #10

From "Home Guides"

"Both 5/8- and 3/4-inch hoses come in various lengths. From 25 to 100 feet long, choose the best length for your property. Be aware that a longer hose reduces the water volume expelled. For example, a 5/8-inch hose 25 feet long produces 44 gallons per minute (gpm). The same diameter hose at 100 feet long has a much smaller output at 11 gpm. Because 3/4-inch hoses have a wider mouth, their output for a 100-foot hose is slightly larger at 18 gpm, but the 25-foot hose increases the water flow to a staggering 72 gpm."

I assume they are at normal house pressure of about 65 PSI.

2011 Rockwood Windjammer 2102W
2008 Ram Laramie 3500 Megacab 4x4 Cummins 6.7L Turbo Diesel
(the near max loaded 2006 F150 5.4L V8 would only go 55 MPH Westbound on I-80 in Wyoming . . . not good when semi's are passing you at 80 MPH)
Chuckinca is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, tank