Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2013, 09:53 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to dsagal79
Black tank scrubber leaks

I have a Rockwood 8311S and when packing up this last trip part of my routine is to hook the city water hose up to my tank scrubber. When using I this time I heard the wife yell about water spraying into the inside of the trailer near the water pump.

Checked it out and saw where it was leaking from. Can't tell what type of coupling it is but but I would like to fix myself. Anyone have this issue before?

My rig is also under warranty but I don't care for the local RV shop so warranty work is difficult. I purchased it 500 miles away from home. If I have to go the warranty route, can anyone recommend a good shop near western Maryland?

Thanks
dsagal79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:14 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsagal79 View Post
I have a Rockwood 8311S and when packing up this last trip part of my routine is to hook the city water hose up to my tank scrubber. When using I this time I heard the wife yell about water spraying into the inside of the trailer near the water pump.

Checked it out and saw where it was leaking from. Can't tell what type of coupling it is but but I would like to fix myself. Anyone have this issue before?

My rig is also under warranty but I don't care for the local RV shop so warranty work is difficult. I purchased it 500 miles away from home. If I have to go the warranty route, can anyone recommend a good shop near western Maryland?

Thanks
Could the coupling possibly just be loose?
Old 10-20-2013, 10:17 PM   #3

On my old trailer the anti siphon part of the black flush connection cracked and did someting similar. Had dealer fix it and said they had seen a couple fail back then. Quality issue. Could be similar on yours.
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:21 PM   #4
Denver, CO

If it's by the water pump and not up in a cabinet, its probably a loose fitting, either PEX or vinyl. You need to find out exactly where the leak is and you may just be able to fix it. If it's PEX you will need to go get a crimping tool and some bands (Home Depot) at the very least if you want to DIY.

If it is in a cabinet, then it could be the vacuum breaker which you can pick up a replacement and just screw in the lines and replace it.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:39 AM   #5

I had the same issue happen to me this season.
My problem was a ball valve under my sink (probably the vacuum breaker/check valve thingy) was stuck open.
I was able to take the valve assembly off the PEX lines and open it up and free the ball/spring assembly.
I think that if there is too high of water pressure when you attach the hose to your black tank flush system, these cheap plastic valves maybe having problems getting stuck open.
Maybe the use of a water pressure regulator is in order.
sleepdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:48 AM   #6

Kind of off topic a bit; is it really a good idea to use your fresh water hose for your black tank flush?!

I have bad thoughts of seepage from the black tank back to the hose connection. Then you disconnect, put your fresh water supply hose away until the next trip. Yuck!

I have a totally separate water hose just for my black tank flush. It's painted orange on both ends as a reminder.
NHFire 152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:49 AM   #7

Most of the time this is the (Leak)! Replace with a Better valve,your discretion. Youroo!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2200.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	41485  
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:16 AM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to dsagal79
Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Most of the time this is the (Leak)! Replace with a Better valve,your discretion. Youroo!!
That looks like the defective part!!! Th other problem is that it is way up inside the cabinet. I am going to call my dealer and see I get will ship parts for me to do the repair!

Thanks all!
dsagal79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:04 PM   #9

Same problem in my Rockwood 8289ws. The sewer tank flusher line leaks intermittently. The line runs up into the wall and behind our shower. I can see the line goes to a black plastic part ( anti siphon valve?) and then back out. This is where the water drips from. Without removing the shower stall, this valve is not accessible. Can I bypass this valve? relocate it at a lower location?
Rsharrer is offline   Reply With Quote