Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 04:56 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 212
Black tank test

I have a new 2013 Solera 24R.

I decided to test the black tank, both for capacity and for leaks.

When I filled it with clean water until it backed up into the toilet, I was surprised that it leaked underneath. Probably either the pipe down to the tank or the connection to the tank.

Admittedly one would not want to fill the tank that full.

However, is it normal to have a leak if water backs up higher than the top of the tank? I would not expect it to leak until it backs up over the top of the bowl.
__________________

__________________
Wayne in Coarsegold near Yosemite
2013 Forest River Solera 24R
2014 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
ATV trailer for the following toys
2008 Yamaha WR250R,2009 Honda CRF150F
2008 Polaris Scrambler 500
PopBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:07 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NW AR
Posts: 151
If you overfilled the tank there might be an overflow, like a fuel tank on your vehicle, and water might leak out. Others who have had more experience with these issues will have their opinion.
Most PDI's won't fill the black tank until the toilet is full. Since it is new I might take it back and tell them that you filled the black tank and saw some water draining on the ground. Let them check it for leaks. Also even if most won't fill the black tank plum full it still should not leak. I believe that you do have a problem and the dealer should address the issue. Think about it. Having black waste leaking out just because you filled the tank makes no sense. I've read in the past when people would back flush their black tanks and get distracted they would flood their units. Granted the back flush volume of water would be greater than normal but still even if some leaked under it would be not only bad but wrong to have that chance of leaking underneath.

TeJay
__________________

__________________
TeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:11 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Your black tank should not leak upon full .
There should be no vent as black tank water is a biohazard.
Take it back to get it fixed if its under warranty.

Does your paper work not tell you your tank size?

Turbs
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:22 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Your black tank should not leak upon full .
There should be no vent as black tank water is a biohazard.
Take it back to get it fixed if its under warranty.

Does your paper work not tell you your tank size?

Turbs
The paper work says 30 gallons. Reality is about 26 gallons, but that is backed up into the toilet bowl, so 24 is probably more realistic.

Purchased new on 12/22, so I have a warranty. I have a 17 page checklist that I am still trying to work my way through. 4 hours at the dealer got me through half of my list. So from my perspective the walk through was incomplete due to running out of time. I should have planned on 1.5 days for the walk through.
__________________
Wayne in Coarsegold near Yosemite
2013 Forest River Solera 24R
2014 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
ATV trailer for the following toys
2008 Yamaha WR250R,2009 Honda CRF150F
2008 Polaris Scrambler 500
PopBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:43 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
The paper work says 30 gallons. Reality is about 26 gallons, but that is backed up into the toilet bowl, so 24 is probably more realistic.

Purchased new on 12/22, so I have a warranty. I have a 17 page checklist that I am still trying to work my way through. 4 hours at the dealer got me through half of my list. So from my perspective the walk through was incomplete due to running out of time. I should have planned on 1.5 days for the walk through.
Tank capacity depends on the levelness of the tank.

If the tank is tilted towards the drain, air will be trapped in the forward part of the tank preventing it from reaching capacity. Make sure the floor above the tank is completely level before checking.

The black tank should never leak unless either the vent or the fill pipe was not sealed properly or there is a crack in the top part of the tank.

In my opinion, this is a "big deal" and you should get it in for repair asap.
__________________

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:59 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 212
When placed in the fridge, my the bubble level that came with the starter kit indicates that 80 percent of the bubble is within the circle. This is quite likely more level than most people achieve. Getting things level when parked on the street at home is easy.

I will test the grey tank today and retest the black tank tomorrow.

This just makes me wonder how many buyers test their tanks either during the walk through or shortly thereafter. I took delivery on 12/22 and still have not had enough time to complete all of my tests and inspections.
__________________
Wayne in Coarsegold near Yosemite
2013 Forest River Solera 24R
2014 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
ATV trailer for the following toys
2008 Yamaha WR250R,2009 Honda CRF150F
2008 Polaris Scrambler 500
PopBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:27 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
When placed in the fridge, my the bubble level that came with the starter kit indicates that 80 percent of the bubble is within the circle. This is quite likely more level than most people achieve. Getting things level when parked on the street at home is easy.

I will test the grey tank today and retest the black tank tomorrow.

This just makes me wonder how many buyers test their tanks either during the walk through or shortly thereafter. I took delivery on 12/22 and still have not had enough time to complete all of my tests and inspections.
Depending on the way the tank is installed (and where), the fridge may not be the best place to test for "levelness" of the tank. It is the best place for levelness of the fridge, for sure.

The way the holding tanks are designed, even a few degrees out of level will prevent a complete fill.

This is very clear when you look at my fresh water tank photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Horst Probe Install 019.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	22681   Click image for larger version

Name:	0910091059a.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	22682   Click image for larger version

Name:	0910091216.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	22683   Click image for larger version

Name:	Horst Probe Install 014.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	22684  
__________________

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:29 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
jim44646's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Massillon. Ohio
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
The black tank should never leak unless either the vent or the fill pipe was not sealed properly or there is a crack in the top part of the tank.

In my opinion, this is a "big deal" and you should get it in for repair asap.
When I back filled my tank one time I got it to full and it leaked. I found a bad toilet flange seal. I removed toilet and found dry seal and toilet was loose.
What ever is causing the leak is a warrenty issue.
__________________
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:53 AM   #9
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim44646 View Post
When I back filled my tank one time I got it to full and it leaked. I found a bad toilet flange seal. I removed toilet and found dry seal and toilet was loose.
What ever is causing the leak is a warrenty issue.
Excellent point.
__________________

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:37 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
VinceU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,502
Just to reinforce it is a big deal, remember if water leaked out above or below the floor, vapor will be escaping 24/7. It will eventually invade your living space and that is not attractive, and very difficult to stop.
__________________

__________________
VinceU is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
black tank

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:41 AM.