Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2013, 04:56 PM   #1

Black tank test

I have a new 2013 Solera 24R.

I decided to test the black tank, both for capacity and for leaks.

When I filled it with clean water until it backed up into the toilet, I was surprised that it leaked underneath. Probably either the pipe down to the tank or the connection to the tank.

Admittedly one would not want to fill the tank that full.

However, is it normal to have a leak if water backs up higher than the top of the tank? I would not expect it to leak until it backs up over the top of the bowl.
ATV trailer for the following toys
2008 Yamaha WR250R,2009 Honda CRF150F
2008 Polaris Scrambler 500
PopBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:07 PM   #2

If you overfilled the tank there might be an overflow, like a fuel tank on your vehicle, and water might leak out. Others who have had more experience with these issues will have their opinion.
Most PDI's won't fill the black tank until the toilet is full. Since it is new I might take it back and tell them that you filled the black tank and saw some water draining on the ground. Let them check it for leaks. Also even if most won't fill the black tank plum full it still should not leak. I believe that you do have a problem and the dealer should address the issue. Think about it. Having black waste leaking out just because you filled the tank makes no sense. I've read in the past when people would back flush their black tanks and get distracted they would flood their units. Granted the back flush volume of water would be greater than normal but still even if some leaked under it would be not only bad but wrong to have that chance of leaking underneath.

TeJay
TeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:11 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Your black tank should not leak upon full .
There should be no vent as black tank water is a biohazard.
Take it back to get it fixed if its under warranty.

Does your paper work not tell you your tank size?

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Your black tank should not leak upon full .
There should be no vent as black tank water is a biohazard.
Take it back to get it fixed if its under warranty.

Does your paper work not tell you your tank size?

Turbs
The paper work says 30 gallons. Reality is about 26 gallons, but that is backed up into the toilet bowl, so 24 is probably more realistic.

Purchased new on 12/22, so I have a warranty. I have a 17 page checklist that I am still trying to work my way through. 4 hours at the dealer got me through half of my list. So from my perspective the walk through was incomplete due to running out of time. I should have planned on 1.5 days for the walk through.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:43 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
The paper work says 30 gallons. Reality is about 26 gallons, but that is backed up into the toilet bowl, so 24 is probably more realistic.

Purchased new on 12/22, so I have a warranty. I have a 17 page checklist that I am still trying to work my way through. 4 hours at the dealer got me through half of my list. So from my perspective the walk through was incomplete due to running out of time. I should have planned on 1.5 days for the walk through.
Tank capacity depends on the levelness of the tank.

If the tank is tilted towards the drain, air will be trapped in the forward part of the tank preventing it from reaching capacity. Make sure the floor above the tank is completely level before checking.

The black tank should never leak unless either the vent or the fill pipe was not sealed properly or there is a crack in the top part of the tank.

In my opinion, this is a "big deal" and you should get it in for repair asap.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:59 AM   #6

When placed in the fridge, my the bubble level that came with the starter kit indicates that 80 percent of the bubble is within the circle. This is quite likely more level than most people achieve. Getting things level when parked on the street at home is easy.

I will test the grey tank today and retest the black tank tomorrow.

This just makes me wonder how many buyers test their tanks either during the walk through or shortly thereafter. I took delivery on 12/22 and still have not had enough time to complete all of my tests and inspections.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:27 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
When placed in the fridge, my the bubble level that came with the starter kit indicates that 80 percent of the bubble is within the circle. This is quite likely more level than most people achieve. Getting things level when parked on the street at home is easy.

I will test the grey tank today and retest the black tank tomorrow.

This just makes me wonder how many buyers test their tanks either during the walk through or shortly thereafter. I took delivery on 12/22 and still have not had enough time to complete all of my tests and inspections.
Depending on the way the tank is installed (and where), the fridge may not be the best place to test for "levelness" of the tank. It is the best place for levelness of the fridge, for sure.

The way the holding tanks are designed, even a few degrees out of level will prevent a complete fill.

This is very clear when you look at my fresh water tank photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Horst Probe Install 019.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	22681   Click image for larger version

Name:	0910091059a.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	22682   Click image for larger version

Name:	0910091216.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	22683   Click image for larger version

Name:	Horst Probe Install 014.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	22684  
Old 01-03-2013, 09:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
The black tank should never leak unless either the vent or the fill pipe was not sealed properly or there is a crack in the top part of the tank.

When I back filled my tank one time I got it to full and it leaked. I found a bad toilet flange seal. I removed toilet and found dry seal and toilet was loose.
What ever is causing the leak is a warrenty issue.
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:53 AM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim44646 View Post
When I back filled my tank one time I got it to full and it leaked. I found a bad toilet flange seal. I removed toilet and found dry seal and toilet was loose.
What ever is causing the leak is a warrenty issue.
Excellent point.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:37 AM   #10

Just to reinforce it is a big deal, remember if water leaked out above or below the floor, vapor will be escaping 24/7. It will eventually invade your living space and that is not attractive, and very difficult to stop.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Tank capacity depends on the levelness of the tank.

If the tank is tilted towards the drain, air will be trapped in the forward part of the tank preventing it from reaching capacity. Make sure the floor above the tank is completely level before checking.

X2 Jim
FarmerJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:46 PM   #12

fwiw

The grey tank requires 33 gallons to back up into the shower.

Because both the black tank and the grey tank are the same size, according to documentation, I would ASSUME that they were identical tanks. They then would have the same capacities, all things being nominal.

However, the tanks may be different dimensions because of the space that they fit into.

I will let the grey tank sit for several hours to check for leaks and then repeat the black tank test. I may be able to isolate the location of the leak. It is most likely either at the pipe to tank connection or uphill in the pipe or toilet assembly.

Does every new buyer run tests like this or am I just nuts? Can't be nuts if the test reveals a defect. Must be some luck in there somewhere. Mine was not good.

I agree that even when not overfilled the leak will allow gasses to escape. I wonder how many people have a small leak that they do not know about and will never find unless they run a leak test all the way up to the toilet bowl. They may be complaining about the wrong cause of the odor source.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:36 PM   #13

I found the leak.

The vent tube attaches to the side of the black tank near the top. This is where the water is dripping from.

I can see a hose clamp. Perhaps all that needs to happen is to tighten the clamp. But, I will leave it for the dealer to decide what to do about it.

Thanks for the help and support. In the beginning I thought I might be overly picky, because it only leaks when filled past top of tank. But there is still the situation of gas leaks.

It goes in to the dealer next week to add the swivel seats, so they can fix this at the same time, I hope.

It still has only 27 gallons of capacity instead of the documented 30, and that includes going halfway up the pipe towards the toilet. There may be an air bubble, but a 3 gallon air bubble is pretty big. The toilet bowl capacity is 2 gallons, so it is bigger than that.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:39 PM   #14

Wayne,
Good luck getting the dealer to do much concerning a 3 gallon difference in real versus stated black tank capacity. They will give you the runaround like level tank, different sizes etc, etc. While it may be a concern of yours I wouldn't piss off the dealer over this issue. You may have something of greater value later on and you need them on your side.
Regarding your PDI. Some dealers actually charge $500-$800 to do the PDI. I and many others believe this is awful and should never happen but it does. Your car/truck dealer does not charge you to show you how to use the new electronic devices etc do they???? It should be included in the purchase price.
Most PDI's are not done very well. It's usually done by a tech (with no teaching experience) and as they explain something to you that they know very well they will skip or not emphasize important things which you will question later. There are some out ther that do a very good job but they are probably the exception. When in doubt check with the forums on line. Any number of us will help if we are asked or maybe even a phone call if necessary.
JMTCW TeJay
TeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:47 PM   #15

I like your point about not pissing off the dealer about the size of the black tank. I think I will bring it up and then back off. That gets it noted and it then becomes a small bargaining chip.

Tags
black tank