Old 05-24-2015, 11:34 PM   #1
Workamper wanna-be!
Black Tank Treatment. What works for you?

New RV'ers here and wondering what the best Black Water Tank Treatment might be. There are many choices out there; Chemicals, Enzymes TankTechs RX Probiotics. I'd like to hear from the "seasoned" RV'ers here that have the experience with the different brands and kinds of Tank Treatments and what's worked well for you.
Thanks, everyone!

2016 Coachmen Freelander 21RS Class C
Colorado Springs, CO
Considering leaving the "rat race" and becoming a Workamper!
sparky60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 10:02 AM   #2
Only one for most people here is what is called the Geo Method. It is a mix of laundry detergent, water softener, and sometimes bleach. The water softener makes the sides of the tank slippery and it cleans out better. Search this forum for it.

A misconception of RV black tanks is that they are like a septic tank. Wrong, they are a holding tank. You aim to keep the orders down, have it clean out better, and keep the water level sensors clean.

There are 10 types of people in the world.
Those that know binary, and those that don't.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 10:09 AM   #3
It's a holding tank, not a septic tank. You fill it up then you dump it. I used chemicals when I first started out camping. Never found any value in them and hated the sweet smell. Now I just use water, lots of it. I dump when I need to and then flush the tank and start over. I use lots of water with every use of the toilet and only use our regular toilet paper from our house....Never had a single problem in over 30 years...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 10:22 AM   #4
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker
NuGen is what we use. This is added after the Geo-Method.
Don & Dona W/yorkies Gizmo, Master Chief, & Tali
2011 Flagstaff 8528 BHSS 2015 Ford 6.7 XLT
2010 Full Timers & Still Going
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 11:37 AM   #5
Sparky60, here is the link to the GEO Method.
derek6669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 11:44 AM   #6
7 Year Class A RV'er
We just add a lid full of liquid Calgon water softener along with the normal chemicals when we prep the tank after dumping it. Like they said, it makes the sides of the tank slick and seems to work very well. Inexpensive, too.
2015 Legacy SR340 360RB
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 11:53 AM   #7
I use aqua-kem for each load. I do allow it to fill (6-7 days). After emptying I use the "shake and bake" internal water sprayer/cleaner. I run it for 4 minutes with the dump valve closed, empty and repeat. When going home I place a dose of the aqua-kem in it with a little water and that's how it sits till next trip. NEVER an odor. I did like the idea of a surfactant and might try that.
uphillracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 11:54 AM   #8
I’m a firm believer in chemicals so I’m not a Geo Method kind of guy. I used to use TST black tank treatment but recently changed to Porta-Pak by Walex. The Porta-Paks really seem to break down toilet paper and the other solid waste rather faster and better. I’ve been doing this since 2003 without a single black tank issue.

BTW, I use the clear plastic elbow when dumping so I have a darn good idea of what's coming out.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 12:49 PM   #9
When we started RV'ing I was advised to do the following:
Before leaving home, add 4 gals of water with two capfulls of Calgon water softener to the black tank. As in a previous reply the idea is to coat the tank with a slippery surface. While at campground I dump the tank when it got to 3/4 full. In 15 years of camping we never had an odor problem and of course always flushed the tank until the water was clear before leaving for home.
stonz41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 12:59 PM   #10
I use chemicals when it smells, other wise Fabric Softner and water. Sometime Dawn dish soap. I can not use the black flush rinse at 90% of the parks I travel too so I rely on a few gallons or water and the open road. Standard TP, no special stuff.

B and B
2013 Rockwood 8289 Diamond Edition
GY D's/2.5 inch lift kit/Powerhouse 4 KW EFI Generator
2016 Ford F 350 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab FX4
2008 Golden Falcon 380PA Park Model Model

"Oh Canada,True North Strong and Free!"
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote

black, black tank, tank