Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2017, 07:47 AM   #1

Black tank valve

Is there any issue with just leaving my black water tank open when I'm at a site with full hook up?
Jonp154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 07:54 AM   #2
"On the road again"

Yes. You'll get what's called "stackers" that will harden and never come loose. You need water standing to aid the microbial breakdown of solids. Always put several gallons of water in your tank before using it and don't empty until it is almost full.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonp154 View Post
Is there any issue with just leaving my black water tank open when I'm at a site with full hook up?
Yes-- big time problems. You want to keep water in the tank to keep the solids from caking at the bottom of the tank But, grey tanks are a different story! I keep it/them open the whole time I'm at a campground- keeps you from having to go out at night to open the valves cuz your dw overflowed the shower etc. [emoji16]
Schvarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:23 AM   #4

Thanks for the reply. I ask because I noticed a small dripping from where the pipe is clasped from the tank at the drain point. Seems to only drip when tank is half full. Got to get it looked at. Don't want to venture and do a camp fix. ..perils of a rookie RVer.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I ask because I noticed a small dripping from where the pipe is clasped from the tank at the drain point. Seems to only drip when tank is half full. Got to get it looked at. Don't want to venture and do a camp fix. ..perils of a rookie RVer.
More likely a leaking valve. I'm sure you have at least 2 valves my T&T had 3, 2 gray valves and the black. Any one or more could be leaking. How old is your rig?
Old 08-06-2017, 11:17 AM   #6

RV is new. We are into our first season with it.
Old 08-06-2017, 01:31 PM   #7

Quote:
RV is new. We are into our first season with it.
In that case, take it back and have the dealer fix it!
Old 08-19-2017, 05:36 AM   #8

Sorry to hijack BUT what is back & grey and how many are there? We just bought a 2013 wildwood 29bhbs abd it's a permanent fixture at a campground so I'm learning on the fly what we are doing LOL I figured when we head home for the weekend we should empty but how much water do you keep in them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schvarak View Post
Yes-- big time problems. You want to keep water in the tank to keep the solids from caking at the bottom of the tank But, grey tanks are a different story! I keep it/them open the whole time I'm at a campground- keeps you from having to go out at night to open the valves cuz your dw overflowed the shower etc. [emoji16]
ffron69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffron69 View Post
Sorry to hijack BUT what is back & grey and how many are there? We just bought a 2013 wildwood 29bhbs abd it's a permanent fixture at a campground so I'm learning on the fly what we are doing LOL I figured when we head home for the weekend we should empty but how much water do you keep in them?
My tt had three valves. One black tank valve is for dumping your toilet waste. One grey tank for shower and sink(s) and maybe a second grey tank for the galley (kitchen) sink. My class A has only 1 grey tank/ valve.
Breaking camp, you should dump your black tank first refilling and and flushing/ dumping it as many times as needed until what's draining is clear and no more solids. It'll be worthwhile to then put a gallon or two back in the tank.
For the grey tank I keep the valve(s) open until a night or two before breaking camp to have as much water in there to drain to clean the dump hose. Once you've done that, no need to put more water in the grey tank (s).
Old 08-20-2017, 08:21 AM   #10

Thanks but it's always attached with a non see through hose so, at the risk if sounding like an idiit, how do i know it's clear?
ffron69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:32 AM   #11

I purchased this Valterra tank flush kit for two reasons. One, to see if the water is running clear and also to be able to back flush water in to the tank to clear any clogs at the valve.

https://www.rvsupplyparts.com/catalo...350-11118.html
calgarycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:08 AM   #12
Scoundrel

Just to add to what others have said about keeping water in the black tank.... Before I flush the black tank, I fill it with water almost completely full and let it sit for a few hours. The water pressure in a full tank helps to make that first flush more productive.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, tank, valve