Old 08-04-2009, 09:00 PM   #1

Black Tank Washer

Wondering if anyone can help with problem cleaning the black water tank? We have a 2008 Flagstaff 831RLSS with a factory installed tank cleaner. It seems that no matter how long use the washer I can not seem to get the tank cleaner and always get a bad smell in the camper. Would anyone know how the tank washer is installed on these units? Any help would be welcome!

Old 08-05-2009, 02:39 PM   #2
SandPiper 345 QB

Not to be a smart A** but not very well.
From the hose connection outside it goes to a very cheap and non funtional back flow preventer best I can tell. I removed the back flow preventer and my front one works well I still have not figured out the back one.

IIFID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 04:58 PM   #3

I have had our unit for a year and 1/2, and as of yet have NEVER used a tank cleaner of any kind on our tanks. I simply use CALGON, one capful before we leave to go camp, and your choice of deodorizers- I personally like the powder packets, and about 1 1/2 gallons of water. Upon moving the camper to go camping, the brew gets sloshed around in the tank, and coats the sides with the slippery calgon substance. Then, when you get to the site and fill it up, It makes it very easy to drain, and upon returning back home, put in a new setup of the calgon/deodorizer. Doing this, our indicators have always been correct, and we have never smelled any offensive odors inside. Hope this helps you, Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:30 PM   #4

Now to be totally blonde here, but which Calgon do you mean? like the Calgon take me away stuff for a bathtub or the stuff i think I've seen in the laundry aisle?
Old 08-05-2009, 07:02 PM   #5

Be careful about mixing the calgon water softener (the kind in laundry aisle) with rv treatment chemicals. I mixed calgon with some orange rv sewer treatment chemical I bought from Walmart and it turned into a gooey, thick crystalline like substance. Luckily I mixed it in a gallon bucket before I put it in my campers tank.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:42 PM   #6

The digs, It's the Calgon on the laundry aisle for water softening characteristics for clothes. And redtang02, WOW!! I didn't have anything like that happen here, but I'll definitely test what I use in a bucket first, just to be sure! Thanks for the info!!! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:14 PM   #7

Sam's Club carries a product called Odo-Ban. It is a very effective deodorizer for the holding tanks. I have used it with CalGon with no problems.

Odo-Ban comes in a gallon jug for about $10.00. They recomment 6 oz in the black tank and 2 oz in the gray tank. This works out to about $0.83 to treat the black tank and 2 gray tanks. Well worth it in my opionion.

John U
Old 08-06-2009, 01:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightpumpkin View Post
Sam's Club carries a product called Odo-Ban. It is a very effective deodorizer for the holding tanks. I have used it with CalGon with no problems.

Odo-Ban comes in a gallon jug for about $10.00. They recomment 6 oz in the black tank and 2 oz in the gray tank. This works out to about $0.83 to treat the black tank and 2 gray tanks. Well worth it in my opionion.

John U
Wow, you ROCK! I LOVE OdoBan.

Tags
black tank