Old 07-04-2013, 12:20 PM   #1

Black Water Indicator ALWAYS reads full

We bought a 2008 Lexington 283gts back in Feb and all of the water tank indicators appeared to be working ok. We have used the RV several times but now the Black Water light on the Info panel always reads full even after it has been completely emptied. The others are all ok. What is wrong with the black tank sensors and what can I do to give the black water tank a good flush? Thanks

Old 07-04-2013, 12:57 PM   #2

I've got the same issue. I assume some TP or something has attached itself to the sensors.
I plan to make a wand out of pvc to attach to my hose and shove down the toilet to 'presure wash' the tank. (glue cap on 2' of pipe, put hose connection and valve on end. In the cap drill small holes for the water to come out in all directions)

I''ve not researched it, but just general reading here seems to indicate one shouldn't dump the tank until it's 3/4 full...I know I break that rule - I'm just not gonna park my camper for weeks with poop in it, sorry, just not gonna happen.

Read also that before a drive dump a bag of ice cubes in the tank and make sure you've got 1/4 tank of water in there and the cubes will 'scrub' it clean. If ice weren't $5 a bag here I'd consider that...if i don't get my wand built by sat PM I'll be doing the ice thing when we head out!

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:20 PM   #3

Prof_fate, It's very important to have your black tank near full or at least the 2/3 to 3/4 recommended level even if you need to add water to bring the level up before dumping this way you get a larger flow rate out the drain to move undigested poop out the drain line or over time you can accumulate a pile in there that becomes more difficult to get out, and I'm with you I am not about to leave a partial tank sitting there for more than a few days.
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:33 PM   #4

Dumping any tank <2/3 full is a bad idea. I always try to fill each tank before dumping. If at a dump station and no one is waiting, I will refill the black or use the internal wash-down fitting to give it an extra fill and flush. You must have the almost full tank of water behind the rest of the "stuff" to get it to exit the tank. Yes, anything sticking or hanging on the sensor will give a false reading.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:06 PM   #5

You can buy generic OxyClean from the Dollar Store for $1.00 a can. After dumping and flushing your tank, and prior to road travel, put 1/3 of the oxyclean in 1 gal of water and add to your tank. The travel movement will slosh the cleaning solution and the oxyclean will clean the sensors. It may take a few trips to get it clean if it is really dirty, but then just do it every time you empty the tank. A little calgon water softener also helps, but it is not essential.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTJohn View Post
Dumping any tank <2/3 full is a bad idea. I always try to fill each tank before dumping. If at a dump station and no one is waiting, I will refill the black or use the internal wash-down fitting to give it an extra fill and flush. You must have the almost full tank of water behind the rest of the "stuff" to get it to exit the tank. Yes, anything sticking or hanging on the sensor will give a false reading.
true. mine indicates whenever I dont let it fill almost all the way..

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:49 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

I use approx. 2 cups of Super Clean and some Pinesol and have not experienced any problem with the sensors. We don't put paper in the commode either.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
We don't put paper in the commode either.
No paper in the commode?
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:57 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattleNsmoke View Post
No paper in the commode?
No.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:05 PM   #10

We got one of these:
Camco 40094 RV Swivel Stik Holding Tank Rinser with Shutoff Valve : Amazon.com : Automotive
Have yet to use it...same problem. I guess it makes sense that sensors need cleaning occaisionally.