Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2015, 09:52 PM   #1
2014 Charleston

Black Water Nightmares

1st trip in our 2014 Charleston---Texas to Yellowstone and back. Planned to stop for 3 days in Colorado Springs. 1st morning there we found that our black tank flooded the storage bays. Mobile tech said that the pipes had not been glued, just dry fitted. We had many other major issues on this trip. But I'm not going to write a novel. Brought the coach to the dealer. They kept it 5.5 months attempting to fix. Since picking up the coach, we have only driven 1000 miles. Sold our home at the end of September. In the RV & getting ready to move up north. This week, our black tank leaked. Pools of filth sitting on the fresh water tank and spilled all around. Smell inside the coach was horrific. I have cleaned what I can reach, but most of that bay is pretty much inaccessible. Factory says we can bring it there to be fixed (along with many other things that the dealer failed to fix). Waiting on word about specifics. When? How long it could take? Unfortunately Elkhart is 1300 miles away. And we don't have a home to stay in while the coach is up there. The rest of our belongings are in a storage unit in NC. I feel utterly defeated. Would like to know if anyone has either experienced this or just has some words of advice.

Thank you.
Old 12-11-2015, 02:39 PM   #2
Always Learning

The good news is that the factory is willing to bring it back. IMO, that's where you want the repairs to happen. Most people who get their units back from a factory return are pleased. It's even better if you can be there to inspect the unit before it leaves the factory.

Second, most warranties disallow fulltime use. So, unfortunately while it's there, it is really on you to figure out housing. I'd expect 2-4 weeks of them having it based on other factory returns that I've seen. Make sure you get a solid commitment out of them for what to expect. I have fulltiming friends who had their family of 5 or 6 living in a hotel room while they waited for Fleetwood (I think it was) to wrap up a factory return. It stinks, but it's what they had to do. I have other fulltiming friends who just the husband went and the family stayed behind in warm weather.

My Sabre went back to the factory 3x (well twice- but the first time was a debacle in its own right). Fortunately, it was before we even had an inkling of possibly fulltiming.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 03:03 PM   #3

Highly recommend taking it to the factory, they will get it right. Took our 2008 8315SS TT there this summer and had the entire floor replaced in less than a week. Very professional job and many other extras upgraded as well. They have the tools to do it right AND you want this issue fixed, for good. We are from So. Cal so we made a vacation of it and were fortunate to have family in MI to stay and visit while they had it.
In addition, since we were traveling in the TT, and not shipping it there, we had to empty it before we turned it over to FR, (in our case). A bit of a hassle but again, well worth it.
Sorry for your issue, best of luck.

2008 Rockwood Sig Ultra Lite 8315SS
Livin the Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 03:56 PM   #4

All good answers.

For sure. If you have the chance, take it back to them.

Who would you rather work on it??
Dealer or the people who built it.
Parts are there.
Either way, if you are full timing,
Dealer or factory, your going to have to find a place to stay.

Good luck!

Maybe, rent another trailer to live in while yours is being repaired?
Might be cheaper than a hotel?
Call up the kids!

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

I am nice!

Tags
black, black water, water