Old 09-01-2016, 12:26 PM   #1

Black water out of tank vent

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can tell me what happened. (I had flushed the tank so it was all clear water) I connected the water line and Something Broke, I guess. In any event, the Black Tank filled up, and water started coming out the toilet. Since that flush valve was closed, I think it went up the vent. The vent is not water tight (I assume) and some leaked into passenger side cargo hold. So, I turned off the water, and opened the drain valve and started the cleanup. I dumped all the water in the black tank. (again it was clear) and waiting for insurance adjuster. Of course, we are 60 days past the one year warranty.

If anyone knows what happened, and even better, knows what it is going to cost to repair. I would appreciate the heads up.

This is a 2015 Flagstaff Ultra-Light with bunk beds.
Thanks for any information.
BLeonard

Old 09-01-2016, 12:38 PM   #2
Site Team

My guess is that you hooked your city water hose to the black tank flush connection instead of the city water connection. People here have done that.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49 / '14 = 74 / '15 = 74 / '16 = 85 / '17 = 14; booked = 28
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:42 PM   #3
Fulltime family RVer

I had a situation once where I was use a cheap "Y" splitter from Harbor Freight. It didn't shut off the water when I shut it off- it let a small bit go through. Either over night or gone all day and by the time we flushed, water came rushing up the toilet. Got to about 1/2" from the top and stopped, thankfully! I ran out and emptied the tank.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:43 PM   #4

Mr Dan is Correct! Youroo!!
Old 09-01-2016, 12:52 PM   #5

Boy do I feed Stupid

This is exactly what happened. It was still connected when I got your post. I was talking to someone at the time and put the city hose into black flush connection. It makes me think All I need to do is let the thing dry out. So, now the question is: What other problems did I create? Do you think: Just let the thing dry out! (is all I need to do). Thanks. This could have been a senior moment! BLeonard
Old 09-01-2016, 12:59 PM   #6
Site Team

Thanks for reporting back, BLeonard!
I'm not going to advise you on a remediation plan - don't want to deal with the Germ Police...... but I will say I almost had this happen to me. I was flushing my black tank - about the 3rd time - had my black tank valve closed and three dudes walked up and asked about my Andersen Ultimate 5th wheel hitch. I got lost in the discussion. I heard my wife shout "DANNNNNNNNNNNN!" I knew what had happened. She had found some bubbling in the toilet. I told the 3 dudes "this is on you!" No harm, although I DID have to clean up some spillage in the bathroom.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49 / '14 = 74 / '15 = 74 / '16 = 85 / '17 = 14; booked = 28
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 01:05 PM   #7

Where the vent penetrates the roof, there may be a diaphragm joint to allow for movement between the pipe and roof. Overflow is the only opportunity to allow pressure to force water through the gap. This piping run is normally routed through a hollow wall to the tank. A rain cap prevents water from above from leaking in.

Tags
black, black water, tank, vent, water