Old 08-05-2012, 09:12 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker76 View Post
Keep hearing about bacteria forming in black tank to keep odor down, maybe camper is too new for this yet? Not sure, maybe I'm reading too many different threads about black tank odors, making my head spin.
Time for one or two 72 hour RV-Digest-It treatments and flushes.
RV-Digest-It.com - RV-Digest-It

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:49 PM   #12

With a 20 min.rinse and the smell is still horridness no Magic brew is going to fix this. You still have POO in the tank. What did the Clear elbow flow look like? Try someone depressing the toilet valve and keep it open before you open the Dump valve,this will bypass the roof vent. There could be a plastic disc covering the discharge passage also,from where they drill the holes in the tanks. Youroo!!

Old 08-05-2012, 09:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo
With a 20 min.rinse and the smell is still horridness no Magic brew is going to fix this. You still have POO in the tank. What did the Clear elbow flow look like? Try someone depressing the toilet valve and keep it open before you open the Dump valve,this will bypass the roof vent. There could be a plastic disc covering the discharge passage also,from where they drill the holes in the tanks. Youroo!!
The elbow had clear water when I flushed it a month ago. When I dumped the month old water (with treatment) when we first got to the site last Friday, the water was a pea green, with some dark colored flakes (sorry to be so graphic). I may have dumped the tank too often when we camped a month ago, but the heat was pushing 100 for a few days and the odor was starting to form.

The elbow was clear when I flushed this morning before I left the site. If the odor returns, what next?
Wolfpacker76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:15 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
The elbow had clear water when I flushed it a month ago. When I dumped the month old water (with treatment) when we first got to the site last Friday, the water was a pea green, with some dark colored flakes (sorry to be so graphic). I may have dumped the tank too often when we camped a month ago, but the heat was pushing 100 for a few days and the odor was starting to form.

The elbow was clear when I flushed this morning before I left the site. If the odor returns, what next?
I would try sticking your black tank hose down the vent with full pressure and have someone open the black tank valve and see if you get a good flow of water. That will show whether the vent pipe is open. I would also stick a tape down the tank till it hit the bottom and then try to snag the end of the pipe and see what the difference is. Pipe may be too close to the bottom and if that's the case, a trip to the dealer is warranted. Just a guess, but I would think you should have from 5"-6" difference at a minimum.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:16 PM   #15

I bet you are on a seasonal site,if so are the tanks off camber to the dump valve? Trailers going down the road get a lot more action in the tanks. Youroo!!
Old 08-05-2012, 10:26 PM   #16

I'll try the tape measure trick and get back to you. No seasonal site, camper travels everywhere we camp, we store it at our house.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:35 PM   #17

Ok, I measured from the bottom of the vent tube (bottomed out on bottom of black tank), and then pulled up to where the tape measure would catch the bottom of the vent tube. I have exactly 5 inches of clearance from bottom of tank from end of vent tube. I guess that is enough?

Here is where I think I may have messed up, thanks to everyone's great input. 1) I haven't been leaving any water in the bowl to prevent odor from coming around the flapper seal. 2) I have been emptying my black water tank much too often, like once a day, not even 1/3 full. I makes sense that this is not enough time for the solid waste to break down. Most likely some poo may have been stuck in black water tank and didn't flush.

I'll give it a week or so and see if the odor returns like before. Check on this thread sometime, in case I have some more issues. Thanks FR Forum, you guys are a big help.

~Billy
Old 08-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #18
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Ok, I measured from the bottom of the vent tube (bottomed out on bottom of black tank), and then pulled up to where the tape measure would catch the bottom of the vent tube. I have exactly 5 inches of clearance from bottom of tank from end of vent tube. I guess that is enough?

Here is where I think I may have messed up, thanks to everyone's great input. 1) I haven't been leaving any water in the bowl to prevent odor from coming around the flapper seal. 2) I have been emptying my black water tank much too often, like once a day, not even 1/3 full. I makes sense that this is not enough time for the solid waste to break down. Most likely some poo may have been stuck in black water tank and didn't flush.

I'll give it a week or so and see if the odor returns like before. Check on this thread sometime, in case I have some more issues. Thanks FR Forum, you guys are a big help.

~Billy
Billy, you are very correct. By trying to dump every day, solids are piling up right under the drop tube and there is not enough water flow to push it out.

Not to be too harsh, but NEVER dump the black tank with less than 2/3 full light on (about 1/2 tank of water). If you need to dump sooner (like you are leaving to travel home that day and you need to dump empty); hold the flush lever down until the 2/3 light comes on. Then turbo-flush with a clear elbow until the water runs clear. It will but it will take about 15-20 minutes of flushing. (longer since you have a lot of gunk in your tank.)

Always leave water on the seal; as well. It is what keep the odors out as the goo disintegrates. Oh, did I mention RV-Digest-It? You need to be doing that right now until your tanks are clean.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:11 PM   #19

Might try dumping some ice before towing. That way when in tow ice helps clean sides, also add chemicals a week or two before using. That why enzyme has time to grow and work.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:42 PM   #20
Dallas Texas

Quote:
Soooo, how do I fix this, since pipe is not adjustable? Take back to dealer?
Use an oscillating saw to cut it down a little.

Yes, the screw is used to secure the cap to the base.

Tags
black water